Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Inactive User

Confused 360 hds on 318blk

Anyone out there able to tell me about putting 360 heads on 318 block? I have a 360 and a 318. I want to know if I'm better off combinding them to have more perfomance. Is it just hotter compression heads or what. Anyone out there ever try it? Maybe you can share your opinion on it. I haven't split the heads off the engines and don't want to if I don't need to. They are both runners.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Unless you are going to change pistons, or mill the 360 heads, you will lose power. The only gain you will have, is on the very tippity top end, and, unless you have lots of camshaft to get there (and headers, ect) you will never see it.
Main differences, are the bigger combustion chamber, and ports on the 360 heads. On a 318, it kills the compression, and port velocity. (Low end torque, and MPG)
Old 03-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Leave them together. Build the 360. As a bud once said, do the bigger motor. It's 42 cubes larger. If your building even just some simple streetable power to the tune of 1 hp per cubic inch, that makes it 42 hp and 42 lbs. or torque stronger.

The 360 also has the larger ports to move more air to make bigger power numbers. Longer stroke for more torque and pistons are cheaper. So your saving money there and the engine will not have to work as hard to make the same power. Which will come in at an earlier RPM due to the stroke.

Hi winding engines get expensive. Remember when C Shelby went racing with a low RPM Ford and killed the sky hi reving Euro super cars. You know, the one with the pony on it.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

What year 360?
Are you looking for a suggerstion on a quick, go quick combo?
I ask you now, what car is this for?
Whats the trans and gear ratio?
Whats the goal?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

There is no replacement for displacement. You can make a little monster out of a 360, not to knock 318, I've got a couple of those, too, but you can get way better parts for a 360 than a 318, or at least it's easier to get better parts, shall we say. good luck!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Inactive User

Seeing as how you have both engines, and assuming they are both intact and rebuildable, there just isn't any reason not to choose the 360 over the 318, and many reasons to pick the 360 over it's little brother - not the least being a free 42" of displacement and a beefier crankshaft. As stroker mike says - no replacement for displacement. When the only engine you've got is the 318 then you may have a $$ reason to stick with it as there is nothing inherently wrong with it. My 2 cents - I had the same argument with myself years ago and went 360 as soon as I found a $300 four-barrel runner out of a 79 Ramcharger.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 AM

Going all 360 is good advice. Just remember that the 360 is externally balanced and will need an appropriate weighted torque converter or B&M flexplate.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Inactive User

LOL 318/360 answers

Thanks folks for the pointers. I kinda figured this was the way to go. But since I had not split them I was unsure. Will a 360 high rev like the 318 w/o scattering? In high school I had a p/u w/ factory high po out of sherrifs car. It would cruz at 130+ all day but did'nt rev it like the 318 in my 4x van. See mud hole or pulling someone out of sand MUST HOLD TO FLOOR! I just can't resist. Thanks again. This is what I like about the forums. Being able to communicate w/ others w/ same interest.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 PM

If you spend the same amount of money/same modifications on both engine, the 360 will be faster and stronger every time. Besides, the approx. 1/4" longer stroke of the 360 will make more torque and work better at a slightly lower rpm. Torque is what helps accelleration and it will be more responsive on the street and under load.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

Not to mention pulling your Brand X buds out of mud holes.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Inactive User

The dippy police cars used 360 heads on the 318 with TQ 4bbls, "but" the intake and exhaust side of the heads were compatiable. The 318 is a good engine as a system either keep it that way or go all the way, all of the small blocks will make the same HP depending on the build.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Inactive User

Default 360 heads on 318

Hot Rod did a build up of a 318 about the time Daytonas did IROC, these cars used 318 iron blocks. You would do well to try to obtain this build up, it was interesting and informative. They did step by step upgrades and dynoed every change, 360 heads made a tiny HP gain by them selves, but lost a little torque on the bottom end, not a hot ticket for a heavy van. On the build up, a cam, big port 340/360 intake, 4 barrel, and headers. They tried 340 heads and lost more torque, and their final set of heads were swirl port head off an '89 318 police motor, upgraded with 360 size valves in swirl heads w/lots of porting & blending of bowls. The combo eventually went into a 70's dart test car, much lighter. I have done what you have suggested, but did heads,intake,carb and headers w/ duals all at once for a sure gain, but again I put these up grades in a lighter Challenger, I've also rebuilt a 360, way more torque, tire destroying power, do what everyone suggest and invest in long stroke torque if your going for a full rebuild. PS. I still say, contact Hot(chevy)Rod by Email and obtain this build up, it will open your eyes.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 AM

reminds me of the guy writing perf. clinic, in Mopar Muscle, wants to run his 340 Duster faster then the 11.5 comp 340 did years ago, with steep gears, and see more street use, Dulcich, says run W-2 heads, thats good, thats half of it, but so would be stroking it. Might as well run the extra cubes if you can. You CAN get good power out of a 318, but a mild 360 will get the same while being more street friendly-at a lower rpm- the gas needed will be more, but thats not the big deal, atleast unless it's your daily driver, so, go big, if it's just a toy, go 360