Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-23-2001, 04:51 AM
Tree Hugger

Cool

I was on my way to school today and was tavelling down a road that had two lanes for each direction. I was cruising down the road in an Avenger (its a rare occurance when I'm not in my Dak but it happens) when I saw two people come up on my tail like I was standing still. In the right lane was an s-10 and behind me was a Saturn. They were side by side but slowed down when they got near me. I got in the right lane to let them continue. After they went by, the guy in the saturn punched it and left the S-10 about two car lengths behind!! the Saturn turned off at the next light. A few miles down the road, I was traveling down a long stretch of road near some farms and nurseries when the psycho in the s-10 sped up and nearly rear ended me. He must have been pissed that he got beat by a frickin Saturn. I slowly moved into the other lane and stood on the brakes. When he was about three or four cars ahead, I punched it. Passed him so fast I swear his truck shook from the wind. Defeated, he pulled over and headed in the other direction.

------------------
2001 CC 4x4 4.7
Intense Blue
Old 01-24-2001, 08:19 PM
Inactive User

I hate s-10 pickups. They, to me, are annoying and ugly.

------------------
1988 Dodge Ram D100, 3.9 V-6, Throttle Body Fuel Injection, Chrysler A-998 Automatic Transmission, Chrysler 8.25 Rear with 3.54 gear, Hercules Step Bumper 1200#tongue/12000#pull, Reese Hitch 750#tongue/7500#pull, Hopkins "Quick Connect" Trailer Plug, Hopkins trailer circuit breaker, Kenwood AM/FM Stereo CD player, Pioneer 5 speaker system, Mohawk aluminum cap(painted to match truck) with custom installed PM red/yellow marker lights and PM third brake light, 2 sets of Custom Cut Floor Mats Red and Burgundy, Custom modified Lighted Cup holder/Console with control switch.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Laramie 2x4, 5.9 V-8, Chrysler 46RE Automatic Transmission........more to come........
Old 01-25-2001, 10:09 PM

Biggrin

I've got an S-10 story for you all. About a week ago, I was headed home in the late afternoon in my high 17 second /6 '71 Valiant daily driver. Going down one long stretch of highway, in the prime "street racing" zone in this area, some dork in an S-10 from a local body shop (has signs on the doors) comes buzzing by me while I'm cruising about 70 mph in a 50 zone, as usual. Why this wide open divided 4 lane is posted at 50, I don't know, but everyone speeds through there.
Anyhow, I pulled up at the stoplight beside him, and seeing as how he was going so fast, I figured he might want to show off how fast his S-10 company truck was. I inched up beside him at the light, so he crept up a foot or 2. Then me, then him, then the light turned. I could tell he had a stick shift by the way the truck jerked off the start. I got off to a slow start, but as the Slant Six accelerated through first, I recovered. When the wide-ratio 904 banged second, my front bumper was even with his rear bumper, but as the old 210,000 mile 225 wound out second gear, I pulled up alongside, then ahead of him. By the time I hit third gear, I was going 70, and was a little ahead of him. Despite having my windows closed, and having my own engine noise to listen to, I was able to hear him giving the S-10 all it had, which apparently wasn't much. He didn't try to race me off the next light, I just took off and left him, laughing all the way!
Old 01-30-2001, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

He probably had a 4cyl, big deal.

------------------
Old 02-07-2001, 02:27 AM
Inactive User

Hey a race is a race and the mopar WON. Warren J give me some specs on your MOPAR please.
Old 02-07-2001, 03:15 AM

Angry

I too would like to see some specs. on Warren J's Mopar. I come here to read and sometimes post about street race stories, not to read your smart mouth comments. If you don't have anything positive or related to add, why waste your time posting and my time reading it! Just keep it to yourself.
Old 02-08-2001, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Hey Tim,

I dont know if you transmission does this but when I'd really floor my truck taking off I'd love the way the motor would wind up so high and that my A998 would really slam those gears when it shifted. Especially in second it sure would shift hard with a real good jerk. My 727 didn't even shift like that!!
Old 02-09-2001, 03:01 PM
Violent J

I dont think you really want to know Warren J's setup....trust me, if you arent running at least 9.90, he will beat you...and all this on the street too....Kills me when i read about high 17 second cars racing anyone....ya lost before you even started.....

------------------
Craftsman 16 HP Kohler Powered Yard Tractor.
Echo Weedeater.
Echo hand blower, 200 MPH.
John Deere Edger, walk behind.
Homelite Bush Trimmer.
Old 02-09-2001, 08:27 PM

Biggrin

At the start of my first post on this topic, I clearly stated that this my daily driver car (with a 211,000 mile Slant Six). A near stock /6 with that many miles running in the high 17's is doing pretty good! All it has had done was the addition of a head I ported. Stock cam, valves, oil pump, bearings, rings (blows a lot of smoke out the breather vent), 1800 stall converter, worn out suspension parts, 3.23 gears, and so forth. I'd like to have a 13 second daily driver, but the PA lottery refuses to cooperate with me to obtain the needed funding for such a project.
There are a lot of cars on the street, even NEW cars and minivans and SUV's costing over $20,000 dollars that run 17's or even SLOWER. I read through the car magazines and see the test reports on them all the time. So cdignition is saying all the NEW slow cars out there are losers. What's that, you say? Those cars weren't made to be drag racers? Well, neither is my /6 Valiant! It is the all-purpose beater car for me! I have a # match '79 Aspen R/T 360-4 that only gets driven in good weather, and am currently working on a '74 Duster (an original 360-4 3 speed stick car, 1 of 318 built) making it into a /6 drag racer that will be able to run 14's at the slowest, and more likely 13's.
And, racing on the street isn't the only thing I do with my Valiant. It goes to the local dragstrip all the time, and frequently gets run in the bracket races there. I can consistently get .550 or better reaction times with it, and have had several bye runs because of low R.T.'s. I have beaten many 11,12,and 13 second cars with the old, slow 17 second car, even when it was still running 18's. One of my most memorable bracket races occured late last year against a 9 second Shivvy camarslow. As we crossed the finish line side by side, he blew up his engine. Huge clouds of white smoke! I laughed my head off! I lost the actual race by a few thousandths, but since he blew up an obviously expensive engine trying to catch my old Slant Six, who REALLY lost? His prize money for going out in that round was less than $50.00!

I don't care how fast anyone's car is, if they line up against me and my Valiant in a bracket race, they better be good. Even then, I only give them a 50/50 chance.
Old 02-10-2001, 03:34 AM
Violent J

Who said anything about running brackets?....this is a street race forum...duh.

------------------
Craftsman 16 HP Kohler Powered Yard Tractor.
Echo Weedeater.
Echo hand blower, 200 MPH.
John Deere Edger, walk behind.
Homelite Bush Trimmer.
Old 02-10-2001, 06:05 AM

Wink

A 9 second camaro blows up trying to out run a slant six , and you're not entertained? This is a Mopar forum, duh..... Hearty Congratulations, Tim, it's always good to hear from a Mopar racer who manages to win without having a big cubic inch checkbook. Wow, what a concept, actually racing what you build instead of what you buy. Racing is racing. Just think, cdigntion, all the chevy had to do was stay together, and it would have won. That's the real deal, and I know the bowtie lost this one.
Old 02-10-2001, 07:03 PM

Biggrin

The shivvy actually did win the race by a few thousandths, but at what a price - a new engine! He would have not been able to race in the next round unless he PUSHED his car down the track.
cdignition, have you ever run in a bracket race? Any Jap car driving moron can floor the gas off a stoplight, but to win a bracket race, you MUST:

1. Know how your car will react on the starting line, and when to hit the gas during the yellow lights so you get a good reaction time.

2. Know how consistent your car is in the 1/4 mile, so you don't dial too high or low a time.

3. If you're one of those people who likes to hit the brakes at the end of the 1/4 mile (I DON'T), then that's a whole seperate thing.

4. And if possible, try to get in the staging lanes against someone who doesn't know what he's doing, or has an inconsistent car.

Even now that I'm about to start my eighth year in drag racing, there are still things to learn, and you can never be so good at your reaction times that you never have to practice any more. Even on test and tune days, every time I race, I start the race like it was a round of eliminations.

And can anyone tell me why people like to stand on their brakes near the end of the 1/4 mile? Why don't they just run as fast as the car will go, and dial a little lower? Why complicate things more?

Bracket racing is as much a mental game as a physical one, if not more.
Old 02-11-2001, 02:46 AM
Tree Hugger

Thumbs down

well what do you know? I finally posted a topic that was popular enough to to cause the topic folder to catch fire. its too bad that most of the replies are argumentative. the next time I post a story about puny V6's and four bangers I'll be sure to apologize before and after. If I ever hit the lottery and build my rig to run high 9's I'll post another topic. Or better yet I'll buy a monster truck to crush all of the abnormally large egos.
John
Old 02-11-2001, 05:56 PM
Self proclaimed expert

I'm sorry people but "street racing to me is when you run your daily driver from a light against someone else in a daily driver or mild hotrod. Running 9.90 on the street from a light is just plain stupid. If you are talking about a designated area where there is a measured quarter mile, spectators and 9.90 cars then to me that is Drag racing wether it takes place on a "street" or not. Don't put someone down because they ran a slant six against a 4banger, it was just a funny story, not a tale of the raw awesome power of a slant six valiant...LOL
Old 02-12-2001, 06:50 PM
Inactive User

A race is a race and the mopar won.
Old 02-18-2001, 02:12 AM
Inactive User

I don't understand why people were picking on this guy with his slant 6 car, saying the S10 was probably a 4 cylinder. So what? Obviously, the S10 driver was a willing participant, he didn't have to try to race him.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:29 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Old 02-19-2001, 06:16 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Tim I understand fully what you are talking about when bracket racing.
I myself recently when Racing have also been trying to tune the car and seem to be going faster everytime so I dial it in slower to compensate and then hit the brakes when I am ahead. I do know my reaction times and how my car launches so that I can match up my dial in better but until I get everything finalized I will always dial in slower until the car is as consistant as it needs to be at that time I will dial it in exactly what it needs to be.

Christian
Old 02-26-2001, 02:23 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy Holier than thou

C'mon WarrenJ and CD, why do you give these guys a hard time? They aren't threatening you and you jump on them about their slow cars and talk down to them like your better or higher up the food chain!
What if I had a condescending attitude toward you and started taking cheap shots at you? How about a taste of your own Medicine:

CD, your car runs terrible for being near sea level and all Warren's horses and all his men don't seem to make a difference, so now your building a stroker out of embarrassment.

Warren, your a cranky old washed up has been that has never won a national event nor even set a national record in any sportsman or pro class yet you talk like your the Godfather of Dragracing.

Now, I don't know you guys or mean any of what I just wrote, but my point is it's easy to write something negative or to find flaws in anyones accomplishments.
Although this is a Mopar site, I like to see diversity sometimes and give respect to the other makes when due. But I also realize that everyones accomplishments deserve recognition no matter how small.
Warren, most of us know what might have happened if the S-10 had a Vortec 6 in it, but it didn't and the old mopar outran a modern fuel injected 4 banger and I feel the same sense of pride and appreciate the entertaining story!
Old 03-04-2001, 04:57 AM
Inactive User

yeah so there.....PRO.....
Old 03-04-2001, 11:43 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I have to say this: the funnest races in which I have ever been a party to were in stock, or slower than stock, vehicles. Personally, I have yet to encounter a race in my Charger that rivals the pure joy of racing something that I don't care about losing in. The most memorable of which would be racing a 20' flat bed in a 12' box truck with a ragged out diesel. He revved next to me at the light. I looked over. He revved again. We were both laughing insanely. The race took about 30 seconds and we finally got up to the speed limit, which was 35! I was laughing so hard my eyes were watering.
I have raced my Avenger against a Corvette, too. Not favorably, but still...
Some of us just enjoy racing. You win some, you lose some. I would suggest that the competition is secondary behind the fun for some of us. For others, the competition is the driving force and it just happens to be racing that has become their battleground.
I raise my glass to any who puts a MoPar ahead of another vehicle.
Old 03-04-2001, 12:00 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Here, Here, I second that Mopaul!

And with that, Iv'e got another good one. I'm riding with my friend in his Dodge WhaleVan(B200, bubbletop, 318 4.10 dana60). This thing has to weigh over 6000# plus he and I were another 500 easy. So were at a light when this late model mustang pulls up and this kid looks over and rev's his motor to rib my buddy about his Van. So the light changes and we pull a fender on the ponycar all the way up to about 50mph and we come up on a light so it's our turn to laugh at the mustang. He was pretty pissed and embarrassed that the old Godzillavan got him! Score one for the 4bbl 318 police motor transplant.
Old 03-06-2001, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GUAM SS/T
I'm sorry people but "street racing to me is when you run your daily driver from a light against someone else in a daily driver or mild hotrod. Running 9.90 on the street from a light is just plain stupid. If you are talking about a designated area where there is a measured quarter mile, spectators and 9.90 cars then to me that is Drag racing wether it takes place on a "street" or not. Don't put someone down because they ran a slant six against a 4banger, it was just a funny story, not a tale of the raw awesome power of a slant six valiant...LOL
Very well said dude! Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 03-07-2001, 05:37 AM
Inactive User

Hey, nuthin wrong with havin a little fun! I just spanked a s-10 tonight in my 225 Duster. Idiot tried to race me on the highway!! haha (only place my car GOES!) But anyways, I think it's a fair race! ecno truck of today vs a econo car of yesterday. Yeah that trucks got a 4 banger, but he's also got much better technology on his side so in MY mind, that evens things up pretty nice!
Old 03-17-2001, 12:11 PM
Mopar Nut!!

Biggrin

Hats off to you Tim. I, too, love racing what you build and drive yourself. I've got a 71 Satellite 318 Roadrunner clone, everything except for bodywork was done by myself and the help of my father. Engine work on my 97 Ram done by myself also, and when you can get your machine to hook up, then it's more satisfying than buying it all done up already.

steve