Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-06-2000, 02:30 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Fun race

The year 1984
The place: El Camino In Santa Clara - THE place to cruise then on the San Francisco Peninsula
The car: 70 Super Bee 440+6 Mopar .484, headers, auto and 3:54's - daily driver
I ran the car at Fremont drag strip, spinning the tires all the way through the timing lights - results were a best of 13.17 @106 - but once ran a killer 70 1/2 Z28 who we watched go 12:30 at 115 on slicks at Fremont and was dead even with him on the top end, but was able to pull him by about 2 car lengths from a roll (they way we usually raced back then)
The competition: Any fool who THOUGHT he had a fast car
The funniest race:
I had already beat this loser (in more ways than one) in his 69 Road Runner, when he flags me down 3 weekends later and asks me if I'll run him again. Then he points to a Yellow Vega parked on a side street. I tell him sure no problem, which shocked the hell out of him! He and his buddy load up and we continue up the El Camino to Lawrence Expressway East bound. We launch from the 1st red light and I cream him. We go again from the next red light 'cause he's whining about not being ready - guess what 2 and 0. We do the U turn to head back to the strip and here he is again! Now he wants to go from a roll! Some people just don't learn. I tell him I'm heading that way anyway, so let's go! The look on his face was priceless! We go again - 3 and 0 now. As we come up to the next light, I'm doing about 30 and he is still flying up (the light is red, but about to change) about 100 feet from the intersection, the light goes green and he shoots past at about 80. The instant I see the light turn, I nail it and take off. I pulled up next to him and then hit 3rd and pulled him by about 2 cars lengths just to prove the point. Not wanting to waste any more time with this fool, I hit the brakes to make the ramp back to El Camino, as he tries to keep racing - but you know what happens to Chevies when you beat on 'em! WHAM! His rear u-joint breaks and the drive shaft hits the asphalt. The shower of sparks at night is like the 4th of July! It had to be 15 feet high and 30 feet long behind the Vega. Mike and I cracked up laughing. We went back around to check on him, and as we pull up he and his friend come to the Bee. Stupid starts making some excuse about a fouled plug he was trying to clear as his buddy tells us that he had told Stupid the Vega wasn't fast enough to beat the Bee in the 1st place. At least buddy knew the score.

Many other great races in that car - I'll try to post one new one each week.

PS the Z28 was a beautiful black with Gold Stripes and a plate that said ILK2JAM ( I Like to Jam) I saw him about 5 years ago. He didn't recognize me, but I asked him if he used to have a Camaro fitting the cars description and he said yes, looking a little confused. I just said, "I had the Orange Super Bee with the White (Ramcharger) Hood Scoops. After a second his only comment was "F*ck that thing was FAST!" We both laughed, and talked about how fun that era was. No one cruises there anymore, but from 1980 to about 1986 it was THE big place to go. At every light your eyes would tear from all the cammed up muscle cars belching hydrocarbons from un burned fuel - it was great.
Old 12-06-2000, 04:32 AM
Inactive User

Awesome Orange Bee. I love to hear about the muscle car era. My uncle owned a green super bee back in 69. He really had an impact on my young life. I'll never forget him or the Bee.

------------------
98 5.2L 5 speed, 3.92SG
Hurst stick, MP R.Rockers
MPI/M1 manifold,Ported TB, ASP crankpulley,Flex dual electric fans, MP 7.5 mm plug wires, Accel coil, 3923 autolites, ARE tonneau, Lowered 2/3 by Western Chassis, 20 mpg hwy.
Old 12-15-2000, 04:22 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

One of the 2 most satisfying races:
There was this brown Deuce Coupe - Tunnel rammed 350 HP 327, 4 speed car that was really cool. The guy that owned it would race any reasonable candidate, but didn't waste his time with crappy cars. My best friend Mike had a REALLY COOL 68 Super Bee - pumped 383, 4 spd, 4:10 Dana - It went damn good, and handled good too. We had raced him several times before I got my Bee built and never could beat him. The Coupe was really light and he'd always pull away by several car lengths and then as the speed would increase, Mike's Bee would stay about even. Well, while I was building the engine for my Bee, Mike's Bee was stolen by this F*cking *sshole Aaron(who we knew!). More about this guy later (he killed himself and couldn't even do that right - they figure it took him 8 hours to bleed to death - moron!)...... Obviously, Mike and I never got to run against each other, but about a year later I finally got the chance to defend The Super Bee Honor! We had been looking for the Coupe for all this time and we finally saw him at about 1:30 AM! We stopped and talked, told him about Mike's Bee - he was genuinely bummed. He said that he hadn't been cruising for a long time because he had broken the T-10 in the Coupe and had replaced it with a Doug Nash 5 speed. He was really pleased with it because it was so much faster than before. Oh Sh*t we said to ourselves after we got back in the car! He had agreed to race us out at Great America Drag Strip (a home made 1/4 mile strip by a major amusement park). We drove out there together, each taking turns getting on it a little to get the adrenalin pumping. Mike and our friend Greg and I all thought that this would be a lost race, but I figured if I did loose, I still wanted to see by how much. We got out to the strip and I dropped off Greg and Mike up by the far end of the "track". Mr. Coupe and I agreed on a rolling start, and we went down to the other end and got ready to go. He was in the right lane as we rolled forward at about 15 mph. The track had a painted white line right by a light post at the start line and another line painted 1/4 mile up the road by another light pole, so it was easy to see what was going on. As we got up to the pole, we both got on it, but I hit the gas a fraction of a second before he did. His coupe only had the top of the hood on it, no side covers for the engine, so you could see the engine, tunnel ram and carbs. As we both revved up and got going the noise was wild! Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw his throttle linkage snap forward and back again. He was in second gear and I was still next to him!!! Then it happened (he shifted into third) again, just as I clicked into second. When I hit second gear, he slipped back just a little. Could this really be happening!?! He slowly slipped back and I never saw him hit fourth gear. After I got into third gear, I could see both of his headlights in my rear view mirror. When we passed through the far end of the strip he was about 2 car lengths behind me. I couldn't believe it! We had finally beaten the Deuce Coupe! We turned around and he pulled up next to me. We agreed that I had gotten a slight jump on him and he wanted to run one more time, just to make sure. I was thrilled to run him again, as that had been the most thrilling race I had ever been in! I stopped to tell Greg and Mike why we were running again and then we headed back down to make another pass. This time I made sure that I saw his crab linkage all the way back before I hit the gas, just to make sure there was no question is his mind or mine! He had about a 3 foot lead because of this, but the rest of the race was the same as the first. This time I think he revved it a little harder, because he was only about 1 1/2 car lengths behind this time. We turned around and went back to where Greg and Mike were waiting. They were both totally psyched that I had won - twice! Mr. Coupe was really a cool guy. He congratulated us, and told us that we could easily beat 99% of the cars around here. The only way you'd lose is if the other guy has a Nitrous Big Block car (nitrous was still pretty uncommon then). We talked for a few and then headed home. It was about 3 AM when we got home, but it was worth staying up late for that! Next time I'll tell you about racing Aaron the *sshole.
Old 12-15-2000, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Cool story from the past Marc, Thanks!
Sounds like it was awsome Bee.

------------------
98 5.2L 5 speed, 3.92SG
Hurst stick, MP R.Rockers
MPI/M1 manifold,Ported TB, ASP crankpulley,Flex dual electric fans, MP 7.5 mm plug wires, Accel coil, 3923 autolites, ARE tonneau, Lowered 2/3 by Western Chassis, 20 mpg hwy.
Old 12-15-2000, 06:20 PM

Hey, 383's can run -- we use to spread the "word" around here. Half of the Chevy guys thought we were talking about a stroker kit 350!!! I love B-bodies with a 4speed, 383 and gears -- awesome!

------------------
1969 Roadrunner (Post),383,4speed,air-grabber,man. steering & brakes, deluxe bucket seat interior,3.91 sure-grip.
2000 Intrepid ES 3.2L.
1997 Grand Caravan SE.
1985 Reliant Station Wagon, 2.6L.
Old 02-04-2001, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

Well, here's the story: After Aaron had stolen Mike's Bee, he was stupid enough to show up where we all hung out with parts from the car on his 68 Coronet! He was also bragging about how his tunnel rammed 440 (with cast iron manifolds) could walk away from any car on the strip. I told him he was wrong and I'd be happy to prove it if he had the balls to run me and my Bee. His friends got quiet, but he couldn't back down in front of them, so it was off to Great America we went. About a dozen cars made the trip, and everyone parked on the bridge up at the top end of the "track". Aarons friends stood right on the sidewalk so they could "watch him win" - yeah, right! We made the drive down to the start, heated up our tires and got ready. This was going to be a full on standing start race, flagman and all. When the guy dropped his arms, we both launched, but Aaron went up in smoke. I just kept on going. The top end line was about 250 feet from where his friends were standing, but I wanted to make SURE they knew who was crossing the finish line first, so I intended to hold it down until I passed them. As I passed them one of the two Ramcharger scoops shot off of the hood! It was just a white flash, and then it was gone. When I had taken the scoops off to be painted (white) some of the holes had stripped. That scoop only hade 4 screws in it, and that's when we found out how much air they catch! It shot up in the air ABOVE THE STREET LIGHT and then came fluttering down to the ground. After it landed Aaron finally came past - about 20 car lengths behind me! His friends were real quiet as they all loaded up and left. I tried to get him to do a best 2 out of 3, but he didn't even answer. The scoop only had a little ding on the corner, other than that it was fine. We drove home, took off the hood and went back to the cruise. People liked looking in and seeing just the big oval air cleaner and chrome valve covers - nothing else. No power steering or brakes, and the battery was in the trunk. It was clean under that hood! No other races that night, but it was ok. We had made Aaron look like an even bigger fool than he was, so we felt better. It didn't bring back Mikes Rumble Bee, but there was a certain satisfaction to it. It was shortly after that we found out he had shot himself in the chest with a .22 pistol. From what we heard, he new that the police and FBI were after him for grand theft auto (lots of theft), so that was his way out. They say it took him about 8 hours to bleed to death, but that he was paralyzed by the bullet, so he couldn't do anything but lay there and die. I hope he took the time to think about what he had done - stealing peoples cars. I know that may sound cold, but I think it's justice. Certain things you just don't f*ck with - a man's car or his woman - without expecting to get in some really deep sh*t. More stories to follow - and they'll be more upbeat!

[This message has been edited by Orange Bee (edited February 04, 2001).]
Old 02-12-2001, 09:44 PM

Biggrin

That's one lesson I believe in - You just DON'T mess with another man's car. I have tried to make this principle very clear to my local group of Mopar friends, and it has succeeded, although not without a few skirmishes in the learning process. A few examples:

2 years ago, not long after I got my '79 Aspen R/T 360-4 # match car, while at the dragstrip, and with the hood up in the parking lot, one acquaintance named Damon decided the grille would make a good seat! He claimed he wasn't really leaning on it, and he didn't break anything, but boy, did he get my attention with that! A few days later, he came over to my friends house where I was helping cut down a tree. I got in his face again about it (I'm 6 feet and 240 lbs, and he's a few inches taller), and I actually had him backing away from me as I told him what would happen if he ever messed with my car like that again. I think he wasn't expecting me to come up to him like that, but he hasn't done it again.

A year or so later, one local Phord driving **** named Mike (skinny, 6'2" and runs a lot faster than me) thought he'd be funny by using handfuls of mud to write words on the bumpers of my '71 Valiant daily driver. Well, I almost caught him that night, and hoped he'd learned not to do that any more. My friend talked to him and told him not to mess with my cars. I'd hoped he learned his lesson. But after a while it seems he forgot.

About a month ago, I was over at the same friends house again, as usual, and Mike thinks he's going to use a snowball to clean my windshield as I'm leaving to go to the auto parts store for my friend. I kind of let that one go, but on my return, Mike decided to throw a rock-loaded snowball at my Valiant's windshield! Okay, there was only one small rock in it, but a lesson has to be taught here. After chasing him for about 20 laps around the car (in the middle of the road), he took off running through some backyards, and I couldn't catch him.
I pulled into my friends driveway, gave him his parts, and told him what happened. Then, prepared for combat, I walked over to Mike's house and knocked on the door, determined to make sure he learned for good this time. To my surprise, he answered the door himself, not his wife. I tried to grab his shirt and drag him outside for a beating, but he got away and ran inside. After chasing him through 3 rooms of his house and having a chair broken over my arm, I had him cornered (he was hiding behind his bathroom door ) saying over and over "get out of my house". I kept yelling at him to come outside with me, even just out onto the porch. I had worked him back into his kitchen when his wife got in the middle of it. After calming him down (boy, did he look scared), she called the cops and I waited outside for them.
The whole thing ended up with each of us getting a ticket for it, and the hearing is next week. He already said he wants to drop the charges and that's fine with me, so long as he knows he screwed up by touching my car.
He's been in trouble in the past, And my record is totally clean, so I'm sure he knows that if he goes in front of the magistrate again, he'll be paying some nice big fines.
I don't know exactly how much I'd have hit him if I'd gotten him outside, but my goal was to make a serious impression in his psyche about it, and make him re-live the whole episode in his mind over and over!
Actually, I think that's better than giving him a beating. He's got the memory of me chasing him through his own house, and he can't ever get rid of it! It worked out good for me.
The state cop that showed up was very understanding towards my reasons for the attack, he just said that my only mistake was going into his house after him. OK, I can live with that. That's the only reason I got a ticket at all.
After the whole thing was over, I was talking to my friend and his dad, and his dad said that I was crazy / psycho for doing that. To me it was simple. He messed with my car, so I must bring the hammer down on him. Simple as that. Someone can stand there and call me every name in the book, and even throw snowballs at ME and I wouldn't care much, but DON'T mess with my cars EVER! I won't touch their cars, I'm coming after THEM. And I take it VERY personally when someone messes with my cars.

No one has ever stolen anything of mine, but with these stories going around the neighborhood, hopefully they never will.

Old 02-13-2001, 11:56 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hey keep these cool yarns coming OrangeBee. They put a smile to my face and im shure all the other readers too.
Its what street machines are all about, having a Mopar that whips the opposition.Especially when the opposition is more expensive.
Old 03-12-2001, 07:02 PM
Inactive User

Smile The /6 Demon from Hell !

A little off the subject, but I figured you'd all get a kick out of this as well.
After the Bee, one of the cars I had was a 71 Demon - slant 6 automatic car with 180,000 miles on it. Since it was just "well broken in" I performed the following mods:
Melling Hyper Pak Cam
Offy 4 Barrel intake
Holley 0-2818 carb
Direct Connection Windage tray
Hooker Headers with dual 2 1/4" exhaust
Accel Super Coil
Melling HV oil pump
Fairbanks shift kit
8 3/4 rear with 3.91's
It was a BALL to drive! At idle it sounded like a stock 340, but when you'd rev it up, no one could figure out what it was! I ran it dead stock and it went 17.80 @ 80 mph, which by the way was 3 seconds and 15 mph faster than a friends 250 3 speed 74 Camaro! After all the work, it would run 14.90's all day long at 95 mph! Stock redline was only about 3300 rpm, but with all the work it would easily rev to 6000 - and I pushed it to 6500 several times! The fun part about this car was that you could race anyone and it didn't matter. Most of the time I would win. Then just for fun I'd slow down and tell them "yeah, and it's only a slant six!" Of course the other guy would never believe it, so I'd pull over and show them. It looked really cool with the 4 barrel and the headers snaking all over the place. The Hooker headers have 42" 1 5/8" tubes and they're all on one side of the engine, of course. When I did loose, it wasn't by much, and I'd pull up at the next light and tell the winner, "yeah, but it's only a slant six" Of course the same thing would happen - they'd want to see for themselves! I put about 30,000 miles on the car and then sold it when I got married (should have kept it - it would have lasted longer than the marriage!) The guy I sold it to blew up the drive shaft racing a Corvette down Highway 17 about 2 years later (250,000+ miles and still kicking Chevy butt!). Since the speedo only went to 120 mph, he didn't know how fast he was going when the drive shaft broke, but he was ahead of the Corvette and the speedo had been buried for quite a few miles. The trans was destroyed, but the engine was still good. I don't know what happened to the car, but it will always be fondly remembered.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:27 PM
Inactive User

A lady cop in Palo Alto, CA (the biggest tree hugger city in the world) once tried to write me a ticket for loud exhaust in the Super Bee. I pulled out the little card that came with the Hush thrush mufflers that were on it which explained that they were noise legal in all 50 states. She then tried to tell me that there was too much exhaust coming out of the tailpipes?!?!?!?!?! So I explained that "this car has a big, high performance engine in it" Pointing to her 82 Malibu 305 powered cop car, she said "well this has a big, high performance engine in it too". I did my best not to fall over from laughing, and brought her around to see what I meant. I pulled the factory hood pins off of the functional dual scoop Ramcharger hood (and the motor was still running, so you could hear the 3 carbs sucking air through the scoops) and when I lifted the hood she just about had a heart attack. The only thing in the engine compartment was the engine - manual steering and brakes, battery in the trunk, just a 440 six pack connected to a radiator! She told me she was going to write me a ticket for having removed all of the smog equipment on the car - typical California thing - so I pulled a few original magazine ads and articles that I happened to have in the car and showed her that this WAS how they came from the factory! She was just lost. After another 10 minutes or so of this I explained that I was supposed to be working, and my boss would be wondering where I was. She finally figured out that there was nothing she could really write me for so she just left.

Just thought I'd pass this on to everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the bee at kens 2.jpg (41.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Plutonium Member

Thumbs up

Beautiful Bee! Thanks for the great stories. Just don't wait a year between 'em!
Old 05-31-2002, 10:37 AM
Inactive User

Sorry about the time delay, but things have been kinda busy here. I'll try to be more dilligent about my duties in the future.........see the attached picture to view my state of mind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad hair day.jpg (24.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-05-2002, 11:52 PM
Inactive User

Default Hey Orange Bee

Those are some great stories. I am really enjoying reading them. Keep 'em coming while you got 'em. Thanks. I can't believe that Aaron was smart enough to own a Mopar, he was an idiot.

Matt
Old 06-08-2002, 10:18 AM
Inactive User

The good old days ! Great stories for sure. My buddy and I use to cruise in the 70's and early 80's in my 340 Dart and his 68 383 Cuda and that Cuda was strong for a basically stock 383 with mild Crane cam and headers with 3.91's. It just seemed to beat anything he raced with it. We beat our buddies 67 GTO so bad it was embaresing for him and the best was smoking a 67 Vette when the guy had his girlfriend in his Vette with him. When we put the Cuda on the track we used the MP .557 cam and 4.56 gears with slicks. It ran 11.40's @ 118. That was stock bore and pistons and now the same shortblock (which I fresened up) is in my Dart with the .484 cam and 3.91's. Thanks for the stories ! Ron