Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-13-1999, 07:07 AM
Inactive User

Question

I run an 85 Plymouth fury cop car in a bomber class. I have a 318 block 273 10.5 to 1 heads and a two barrel intake in a 3600 pound car on a high bank 3/8 oval. what is a good cam and carburator combo for this setup. stock type carb and no adapters. also can not idle too rough like around 700rpm. ran a four barrel last year with a lot of luck. any help would be appreciated. It has to be a two barrel carb and there is not much money in the class.

[This message has been edited by cageman (edited December 21, 1999).]
Old 12-14-1999, 04:26 AM
Inactive User

Get rid of the 273 heads. You didn't say much about what your rules will allow. But look to see if you can run late model 360 heads or magnum heads.
With 3600lb to move around look at putting some torque into the motor. 318 is a small motor. I run a 318 in my race truck but it weighs only 2800 race ready.
Anyway, let us know what the rules will allow and we can help you further.
Old 12-14-1999, 04:39 AM
Moderate anarchist

I'd run the later 318 swirl port heads found on mid 85 and up M bodies, 2bbl cars, 302 casting number. Advance the stock cam 4 degrees and run a 600 cfm carb. This is the setup I have on my 87 Diplomat and I can spin the P255's in back, 2.94 gears and a Sure Grip too. Lots of torque. I am running the stock 87 4bbl intake I scavenged out of a boneyard. The carb is an Edelbrock Performer 600 cfm carb, model 1406. It bolts right to the spreadbore intake, although I do have to use two of those thick carb base gaskets to space it up enough to clear the EGR valve. Since your not likely to be running and EGR valve you can run one thick carb gasket. If you really want a different cam I'd limit it to 340 magnum specs or so. I don't know what kind of RPM you see but I doubt you'll be revving it high enough, long enough to warrant anything bigger. I'd think with your weight you'd need more torque than HP.

Steve
Old 12-17-1999, 12:48 AM

Runnng a 3600# car with a 318 is a disadvantage. If it is an option I would look into the possibility of changing to a 360. It's longer stroke will be a help to develop more torque. Plus the old adage of there is no substitute for cubic inches holds true as well. We run a 3400# car with a 360 that is very competitive even with a rookie driver
If you have any questions give me a shout and Keep the Mopar Flag flying at the local tracks
Old 12-21-1999, 06:00 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I guess that I forgot to say that The rules say only one two barrel carb and no front bowl holley. I think the heads are 273. I pulled them off a greasy motor on my lunch break. They were orange and they are closed chamber heads. I pulled the v covers off and the numbers on the heads are as follows; 09295 and 2658920-2. I traded out the labor to redo them by building a roll cage for the machinist. I put new and bigger valves in it and shaved them a bit. I had run two sets of the original cop car heads but I cracked both sets. 360,s are tempermental. I go with the 318 they are a dime a dozen. So any help will be great, thanks. also I run it advanced at 35 degrees all the time. I will turn 6500 at the end of the straight all the time. My friend has a huge cam in his 350 and it has lots of torque but it kinda dies at the end of the straight. My car handles quite well and I usually pass in the corners cause I can carry my speed through it. My car is probably the only 3600 pounder out there. That is why I chose the light weight 4 door. thanks.

[This message has been edited by cageman (edited December 21, 1999).]
Old 12-21-1999, 07:53 AM
Inactive User

By the casting number you listed, I can tell you that what you have is a 67 273-318 head with a 57cc combustion chamber. Swapping to later model heads would improve performance based on the flow alone, but you would need to mill them to get your compression back up. I agree with what was stated above, with the late model swirl port heads. These should also be the same as found on Dodge trucks, or at least mine were. Hope this helps some...
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-21-1999, 08:41 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

so what kind of gain would I get from going back to the swirllies that I had before. My dad told me to run the higher comp ratio heads in the motor and that they are less prone to cracking than the 80's heads. Wouldnt more compression help, I will run VP racing fuel, so octane isnt a problem
Old 12-22-1999, 02:56 PM
Inactive User

The high swirls of the late 80's are heart shaped closed chambers. You should mill your cylinder block to achieve zero deck piston height, that way you will get a good quench chamber with a .040" thick composite head gasket. Have 360 valves installed to the heads with a deep 70 degree bottom cut to open up the bowl, and back cut the valves. If porting is allowed, blend the bottom cut smoothly to the bowl. IF porting is allowed, open the intake port opening to the 340/360 gasket size and blend about 1-2" to the port. Remove as much of the pushrod dog leg as you dare. Best method is to bush the hole with a bronze tube and port all the way to the point where you find bronze. Then use a 360 intake and a 360 two barrell carb. The 360 and 400' had the biggest two barrell offered in mopars, it's a Holley. I think your head cracking problem isn't the fault of the new heads, actually the newer heads are less prone to crack than the older ones. Your next best head choice performance wise would be any 360 head. They should be milled the max for more CR since the combustion chamber is bigger than in any 273/318 heads. The 360 heads are about 20-30 hp better than 273/318 heads in hp 318 applications, the high swirls are a lot better than that. In an old dyno testing the high swirls gave 55 hp over the 360 heads in a modified 318.
Old 12-24-1999, 09:06 PM
Inactive User

Red face

I know a guy at a machine shop and they throw more 360 heads away cause they are cracked, maybe the cold in north dakota is why. So I would get that much more h p from the swirl ports. I havent run the 273 headed 318 yet so I can not tell what the diff is but I probably would have found out right away. I know of a 318 cop car for sale like I ve got. What else is special in the 318 cop motors becide the heads intake and windage tray. The rules say that you cant do any porting so the way they come from the sand is the way you run em.
Old 12-25-1999, 01:46 AM
Inactive User

The late model 318 head is an excellent head.
It is a TORQUE head, what I mean is you don't rev the crap out of the motor, if you gear your car right( and thats the important part) you will be able to motor off the corner.
I run the "302" head on my race 318 and we have kicked ass the last 2 years. I don't have to spin the motor as hard as the Chevy and Ford guys do. It works.
Old 12-29-1999, 08:41 AM
Inactive User

Your heads will do ok(especially since theyre paid for)the bigger valves should help them out some,hopefully the machine shop blended the bowls for you.MP sells roundy round cams,the P4120249 is a monster in disguise and will spin6000+ all day,you may need to retard it 4* to get 6500 though.I know what its like to run the "bomber" class,its a no frills all thrills sort of thing,I've seen some big $ recommendations in this column but thats the wrong tune,its run whatcha brung!!and dont ruin all the fun,that is with big bucks in your bomb!!right?I ran a dart in a bomber class in twin falls Idaho and didnt have $200 in the whole car I think it was the most fun I ever had on $200!! Good Luck
Old 12-29-1999, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

When building with budget, the most important things are not to buy anything new, and not to do any machine work. The cam and lifters are propably the only parts worth buing new.
Old 12-29-1999, 09:14 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

All right now you understand what Im trying to do. I got the answers here but like PRO said it is a cheap class. The reason I need a cam and carb for my motor is because I dont have one. I have a carter 2 b but if I run a big cam it sounds like I will surely run out of fuel at the end of the straight. I used a quadrajet on my car last year cause I had the lean burn thermo on my car the first few races and I burned holes in two pistons. Oh well. I want to figure out what motor to run so my sister doesnt beat me on the track. I built her a (I think its an 88 model) cop gran fury to race next year. Ive been told the motor she has will have about 50 hp more just because of the heads. The motor is in the car now and mine is on the engine stand waiting for the cam. Thanks.

------------------