Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Inactive User

Default Just got a 360

I finally got the right deal on the right motor to build on. For 260.00 I got a 360 block in good shape that has never been bored, newer heads that still have touches of blue paint on the valve springs, although they are smog heads, and I will have to plug the little air holes by the exhaust, but I got A-body exhaust manifolds, two iron 4 barrel intakes, one with egr one w/out, new valve covers, new b&m flexplate, new chrome oil pan, oil filter relocation kit, and alternator, even a power steering pump and all the pulleys and brackets. I think I got a pretty good deal. I have that offy intake and a 600 holley for it, too, but I will probably run the cast iron one till I can afford an air gap, or what ever, cause you guys have said the dual-port offy is iffy...LOL!! ok that was bad, but the offy LOOKS sooo cool. Like a single plane behemoth, but anyway, I am stoked. Now it's all about the stroker kit, and I am shopping for real, now!! what kit gives you the most for the money? I am lucky enough to be close in location to Gromm Racing Heads, Mopar Engines West, and Victory Machine, so I will get the block and head work started pretty quick, here. Wish me luck!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Inactive User

Good luck mike. Keep us informed on how things are going with it.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

That offy mani will do much better than ANY cast iron mani that Mopar had to offer. They all were very poor for performance-even the dual quads....+++.
A good balanced stroker kit can be had and is fairly reasonable from a few reputable places. Just be careful who you buy from. Try Indy,Hughes and Mancini-people who will back what they sell you. Even Campbell Enterprises.
For the money you will spend on getting your heads done($500 minimum and $800+ max),just go aluminum and get what you want the first time.
Shaun
Old 03-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Inactive User

I took a look at aeroheads, they have 340/360 heads with 509 lift springs and 2.02/1.60's for $499.00 complete. Now, my block is a '73, and the pistons are a real shallow dish, were there different size dishes in early 360 pistons? I was told these may not be the factory 8.8:1 pistons. I am looking at Ohio crank for a kit, they look to be a quality outfit, and the price is great for what you get. I will Probably use the hughes 504 grind and I may save for rockers, too. Hyper 9.5:1's, and an air gap, when I can afford it, Thanks for the word on my Offy, it is a nice looking piece, that's for sure. There are mixed opinions about them, that's also sure. I may run it just to see for myself. I went to the Goodguys car show in Pleasonton today, and I decided that it is not as important to me to do a 10 second quarter mile as it is to have a clean, cool looking and street light to street light quick, torquey little monster. I am not as concerned with 7000 rpm, cause I will never get there with this build, but if it suprises the crap out of a mustang or two, and looks so cool that people take a picture, and can be driven every day, I will have achieved my dream!
Old 03-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

Well, I would argue with Shaun on that - the s/b iron 4bbl manifolds are at least as good and maybe better than an eddy performer. That said, for what you're gonna do I'd run the Offy for starters anyway. Not to mention the coolness factor - very important in my book!!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Inactive User

Default Heads

First, have the shop check deck dimensions. Some of the old blocks were really bad. Then, for heads, I'd recomend the Mopar R/T's, 5007950. Good price, excellent ports, closed chamber, 2.02X1.65 valves, .520 max lift and no obstructions in the exhaust ports at all.
Have fun!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Inactive User

Hey peg leg, Are those heads magnums? Cause those won't work with all the other stuff I have. I am looking for some 1989-91 swirl port small chamber LA360 heads. I think they are 306's or 303's. I got it written down. oh, yeah, the code on my block is 4006830-360-5. Can anyone interpret this for me? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

they are 302's and I got a set if your interested. ill sell them for $200 complete heads. they have been mangnufluxed and have no cracks. they have .520 lift springs in them . just if your interested.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Inactive User

Default 7950 heads

They are Mopar R/T heads, and mine are on a Magnum block. They have the better angle intake bolts holes, not the leaky vertical bolt holes. Mopar can answer if they fit older blocks, cause I'm not sure, so I better not say. They are really good flowing heads, and much thicker than the older heads.
Ron
Old 03-28-2007, 11:46 AM

The heads from '89 - '91 360's are 308 castings. 302 heads were found on 318's and have closed chambers. Mopar also sold a head like the 308 but without the EGR hole beneath the exhaust ports. It was over-the-counter only and had a 576 casting number.

Magnum and R/T heads will fit the older blocks. But you will need the proper lifters, and pushrods for thru-pushrod oiling, possibly a couple other parts. I believe Mopar sells the rquired parts. A Magnum style intake would also be required.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, 308's. Those are the ones. I don't mind plugging the hole, but I think I have decided to go with aeroheads, for the money you get exactly what I am looking for. 499 plus shipping, I will sell my 596's and offset my cost.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Inactive User

Ebay or swap meets are great for offsetting purchases! The Aeroheads look great, that is a great idea for a small block, I am going that way my self. I am just getting headers from JEG's, $142.00, and decent mufflers, but basiclly the same thing. Good luck with it man
Old 03-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

Man, My 360 was out in the back of the truck for a month before I bought it, and there is rust in the bores, I went out to start my teardown of the block assembly so I can get it bored and honed next week, and I realized...no wd40, now what should I use? I can't even move the crank, I just know that I will have to run for some breakfree or something. Darn!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

Hey, if a transmission was fully rebuilt and race prepped, but never saw fluid, then sat for 2+ years, do I have to replace the seals? Getting a race prepped 904 for 125.00 if I want. What would I have to do to get this thing ready for use?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker mike View Post
Yeah, 308's. Those are the ones. I don't mind plugging the hole, but I think I have decided to go with aeroheads, for the money you get exactly what I am looking for. 499 plus shipping, I will sell my 596's and offset my cost.

Is that $499 for a set, or each?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Inactive User

Thanks, bro, I actually haven't hit this thread for a minute, and now I have a set of J heads with 2.02's that I will plop ontop of these trw flattops here pretty soon. got rid of the old 360 for this one, it's a 73 out of a cuda. Hughes cam, roller rockers from ohio crankshaft, and nitrous! gonna make my cuda lift of like a space shuttle, one way or the other!!!