Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-16-2000, 01:20 AM
Inactive User

Question

I hear if the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series doesn't gain more popularity in 2000,NASCAR may disband it. Any one else heard this? SAY IT ISN'T SO ETHEL!! Rambo

------------------

She's real mean,my 318!!!
Old 02-16-2000, 02:19 AM

From what I have deduced from published reports is that the series is under some fire. Whether or not it cntinues has not been the subject of the reports, but rather the proper use of the series.

The comments centered around the "Headliner Status" of the series. The series was supposed to draw new people into the sport by racing at more rural venues. This exposure was supposed to cause more of the public to follow the entire NASCAR scene. It doesn't make sense to hear of canceling the series because it is doing what it was supposed to. Also, the light truck is the most popular selling vehicle in the USA.

Another thing that does not make sense is the changing of the schedule each year. I don't know how many of the original tracks they don't race at anymore. This change came about with the change in pit stops. Some tracks were eliminated due to lack of pit lane space.

It is obvious though, NASCAR is trying to change the image of the series by running it at Daytona this year.
Old 02-21-2000, 04:23 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

I don't know about the CTS as a ongoing thing. But there the MOPAR guys are dropping the current engines/components on the market like crazy.

My old intelligence backround would lead me to believe that either the series is on the chopping block at MOPAR or as the thread indicates perhaps the entire series but don't think the latter very probable.

Another possible scenario is that the "mystery engine" that was, has or is being developed for the 2001 WINSTON CUP INTREPID will find it's way into the top flight CTS MOPAR entries. Thus the sell off of the old R3/W7,8,9 stuff.

DAIMLER CHRYSLER, now a totally German led company could very well be working on some things in England and Germany that might "dovetail" into the domestic racing series programs in due time.

The techniques that DAIMLER CHRYSLER/MOPAR are using on their highest level program have some semblance of how "black" programs the government developes work.

Subdivisions of the corporation will working on components and sub assemblies independently and without apparent connection to each other, only to be brought together at a future time in racing series once thought not related to each other.

This is a DAIMLER CHRYSLER process that is pretty established and I think will bode well for the MOPAR teams in the upper eschelon of their motorsports program.

Hopefully, some of the benefits will trickle down to the weekly racer but I think at this point MOPAR is so immersed in the VIPER endurance, CTS, drag racing, Winston Cup and their LeMans prototype program that the weekly racer will be the "last pig at the trough"

Let's all keep our collective eyes and ears open and see if any further "indicators" come along.

Yours in racing,
R.K. Brown
Old 02-21-2000, 05:47 AM
Inactive User

Yes, there is a lot of Nascar CTS equipment on the used market. All I have seen has either been obsolete (to them) R blocks and early W7, late W7 and early W8 heads. I have not seen any late W8 heads or R3 blocks. Also, there has been a lot of shuffling of engine suppliers, just about all the current CTS engines are coming from Arrington. I don't think Stanton, Katech, Pro Power or Friar are supplying any CTS engines this year. A lot of these leased engines or components may be finding their way to market. There are several teams that are closing their doors due to a lack of sponsorship $. The cost of a full schedule is 3-4 times what it was in 1995. Finally, the supply may finally be catching up with demand. For several years, the engine builders scrambled for parts because the supply just couldn't keep up. The secondary teams were really hurting for engines. Maybe this has finally changed.