Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Inactive User

Default car SUDDENLY dies

Well I was driving home yesterday in my 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 318 bone stock complete with Carter 2-barrel when it died on me.

Funny thing is, there was NO warning. I was cruising at 55mph, not accelerating just maintaining speed when it cut out suddenly. It felt as if it ran out of gas.

I could not get it started again at all, it will turn over without end, and kick maybe once, but a sad pathetic halfhearted effort at BEST!!

I have replaced the fuel filter, and confirmed that I am getting adequate fuel to the carb. I noticed some fluid at the top of the carb where the linkage pushes the accelerator pump down, perhaps this is the culprit.

What are your ideas? I plan on checking (when my dad gets off of lunch) for spark at the coil and plugs. I had everything for a tune-up already, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. I have a carb rebuild kit en route.

Help me please

Caesar
Old 03-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Banned

First thing I would do, is plug in a new ignition control box, and a coil.

CZoils usually run once cooled.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 PM

Had that happen once and it was a defective rotor cap that just came apart.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Inactive User

Default update

I have changed all the plugs and my coil is good. didnt (forgot) to check spark to the plugs (indicative of fault from distributor to control box, etc).

Noticed one thing when my dad was cranking the engine over out of the side of my carburetor at thebottom where it bolts to the intake manifold, there was a spray of fuel out the side. This is probably a bad gasket or a leak, could this be a contributing factor?

Caesar
Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Inactive User

update again.

pulled the cap and rotor and just for kicks I turned the engine over with a remote starter (smart buy on my part) and the rotor was not turning as it should. It would shake and then spin 3/4 of a revolution and then shake and shudder 1/4 of a revolution and then spin. All the while it should have made at least 4-5 complete revolutions.

Mopar guy I know (from phone calls only) says it is most likely a bent distributor shaft, I will pull it on Sunday to find out for sure. I am taking a break until then.

Caesar
Old 03-30-2007, 06:22 PM

My rotor cap that came apart was also due to a worn distributor shaft bushing. The distributor shaft bushing was worn badly causing the rotor cap to turn out of round and hit the contacts in the distributor. I initially thought it was just a bad rotor cap but the worn bushing was the culprit.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

First check for spark if not check to see if there is any power to the p/u coil in and out then also check power at the ballast resistor.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Inactive User

I'd say you found the culprit in the non-turning rotor. Fix that and then try the other fixes if necessary.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

If the rotor is not turning consistency....check your timing chain....probably lost some teeth on it.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

Good idea, 70aar. The nylon timing gears had a bad habit of shedding teeth which of course would cause all sorts of problems. oilbrownskin, if you haven't already done so, first check the rotor itself to see if it is damaged. If it's ok but the distributor shaft itself doesn't turn properly, pull any valve cover and look for valves not opening as they should. If so, it's the timing gears & chain. If not, it's a distributor shaft problem. I hope it's the distributor, for your sake; but if it is the timing gear at least you can get a roller chain replacement setup for a reasonable price. Do NOT - repeat NOT - buy the parts store replacement nylon gear!! (Yes I have the t-shirt)
Old 03-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Inactive User

Then, don`t forget to pull the pan and get the broken teeth out of it and the pump screen.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 AM
Inactive User

Default no start

Pull the distributor, and have someone turn it over with the key. If the drive isn't turning, you've need to replace the timing chain and gears. Also if/when you pull the gears, look and see if any material is gone. If you don't get the pieces out of the engine, you'll soon "find them" plugging up you oil pump pickup!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like this isn't going to be an easy fix tho.

How many miles are on the engine, and what kind of maintenance was done on it?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:29 AM
Inactive User

Default update and questions

Pulling the distributor tomorrow to see if it is messed up or not.

I also like the idea of pulling a valve cover and seeing if the valves are opening and closing as they should, I will need to buy a new valve cover gasket.

Also I found the right carb #s (otherpost) and got my carb rebuild kit coming (not that it matters on this post).

In regards to checking for spark and power at the coil and ballast resistor, the coil is fine and so is ballast. When I plugged a plug in, i got nothing, that is when I pulled the cap and noticed the problem with it not turning, figuring that is why I was getting no spark, it was not being "distributed".

Caesar

PS

I will let you guys know what I find tomorrow night.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:44 PM

well?what did you find?