Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-01-1999, 11:42 PM
MoparChat Support Staff

Red face

Hello and welcome! Lets chat about MOPAR getting involved in NASCAR!!!!
Old 09-02-1999, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

This chat subject definatly needed it's own area!!! Thanks for looking out for us!!! And as a second thought,seeing this topic has it's own area,is Mother Mopar giving us a hint that we will have our beloved Mopar's back in NASCAR???

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited September 01, 1999).]
Old 09-02-1999, 05:00 AM
Inactive User

Great thinking here.!!
I wish we could have a
Mopar Exc. post here,and tell
us what is going on.!!
Old 09-02-1999, 01:26 PM
Mopars win..others whine

Yes this is great! I come in here everyday to see if anyone has heard anything lately. Maybe this is a sign.
Old 09-02-1999, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

So how reliable is the article in Brandweek? Seems to me that it is the closest/most reliable indication in print that Mopar is returning to Winston Cup. I just doubt the timing of mid-2000 for the actual return. I think Chrysler will announce a 2001 return at the July Daytona race.

Old 09-02-1999, 04:37 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Can't wait to see them on the highwall at a superspeedway!!!! The sooner the better!!!
Old 09-04-1999, 02:25 AM
Inactive User

Wow Iam impressed,our own section.
Like I said ,I think all the factors are in place,And also a new corp. attitude,Damilar Or how ever you spell it,has always raced.I think they are eager to race Nascar,even they know how popular it is .
Wow our own section??!!!?? I'm still impressed.
Hey how about getting the corp. big shots to look at this thread,its got almost 100 posts
Tell me there isn't an interest .
Caveman
Old 09-04-1999, 03:43 PM
Mopars win..others whine

I have read that Mopar would be back as soon as the mid-2000 season(why mid-season?) Hmmm, strange thing is, this is also when STP ends their 29 year sponsorship with Petty. Maybe the folks at Cheerios (their new sponsor) know something. Just thought I'd add more to the rumor mill.
Old 09-06-1999, 02:43 PM
Inactive User

I'd be very surprised if the mid-2000 rumor comes to be. No major team is going to change models in mid-season, and any new team would have a terrible time trying to break into the field. The effort would look pathetic, and that is not what's needed after being gone for 15 years.

You might see some testing in 2000, but any serious program would start at the beginning of the season.

BTW, I read on Jayski's site that the motor supposedly nixed by NASCAR was never seen by Gary Nelson. He knew nothing about it!
Old 09-07-1999, 05:09 PM
Inactive User

That post on Jayski's had Nelson saying that he had not seen it but that others may have, but that Nelson would ultimately have to see it to give it final approval.
Old 09-07-1999, 05:29 PM
Inactive User

The Car-Truck site has a Mopar NASCAR update in which his informers confirm that a majority of Mopar Dealer Associations have approved a return to Winston Cup. This is important in that much of the necessary funds for the program would come from the dealers advertising budget. The post also gives a rumour that Petty, Penske and Roush had all built Dodges for testing. Petty and Penske would be logical choices but Roush! Jack Roush has had a Ford logo probably tattoo'd on his butt since his first birthday. I could not see him switching from Ford unless someone is promising mega bucks to look into it. Either that or he built one just to see if it would work. Another rumour is that Daimler is pushing the release of the Charger back to the year 2004. This is not too bad news for NASCAR as they could still use the Intrepid or 300M until that time. Maybe initial tests showed that the Intrepid or 300M would be good aerodynamically so there was no need to rush the Charger to production. I agree with the one post that a mid-year introduction in 2000 probably won't happen because teams would not want to switch makes in mid season and Mopar would want established teams to run the car, not new teams starting up in mid-season. The only way a mid season start may happen would be an established team running an R&D car for one or two races to check under racing conditions to prepare for a 2001 Daytona assault in force with several teams, similar to rookies who run just 5 races to keep there rookie status.
Old 09-07-1999, 05:34 PM
Inactive User

The Car-Truck site has a Mopar NASCAR update in which his informers confirm that a majority of Mopar Dealer Associations have approved a return to Winston Cup. This is important in that much of the necessary funds for the program would come from the dealers advertising budget. The post also gives a rumour that Petty, Penske and Roush had all built Dodges for testing. Petty and Penske would be logical choices but Roush! Jack Roush has had a Ford logo probably tattoo'd on his butt since his first birthday. I could not see him switching from Ford unless someone is promising mega bucks to look into it. Either that or he built one just to see if it would work. Another rumour is that Daimler is pushing the release of the Charger back to the year 2004. This is not too bad news for NASCAR as they could still use the Intrepid or 300M until that time. Maybe initial tests showed that the Intrepid or 300M would be good aerodynamically so there was no need to rush the Charger to production. I agree with the one post that a mid-year introduction in 2000 probably won't happen because teams would not want to switch makes in mid season and Mopar would want established teams to run the car, not new teams starting up in mid-season. The only way a mid season start may happen would be an established team running an R&D car for one or two races to check under racing conditions to prepare for a 2001 Daytona assault in force with several teams, similar to rookies who run just 5 races to keep there rookie status.
Old 09-07-1999, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

The Rousch rumor doesn't surprise me very much. They do all kinds of R&D for Ford, GM and Chrysler, so have ties to everyone. Most race teams are corporate whores and will go with the bucks, although JR does have a strong Ford history. Don't forget that Jack built a Pontiac last year when he thought Ford was getting the short end of the stick!

The story of the rejected Mopar engine strikes me as rumor only. If they were submitting an engine to NASCAR, Gary Nelson would be the only one who could accept or reject it on technical merit. If Mike Helton or France had been involved, any rejection would be purely political, unless they consult Nelson. If none of them were involved, why would Mopar submit a proposal to some underlings?

The story is also questionable because of vague references to some vastly superior design. I have heard various guesses as to which engine was submitted, but there would be no reason to submit the WoO all-aluminum version since Cup rules require a cast iron block.
The only new design and the logical engine is the Semi-Hemi designed for Pro-stock. It sounds similar to the splayed-valve Yates heads and the SB2. If Mopar did not deviate radically from those designs, there is no reason for NASCAR to balk...at least until dyno runs have been compared.

It is disappointing to hear the Charger production date has been delayed. I think that was tied very closely to a Cup program. Now they have nothing unique to make a big splash returning to NASCAR.

I had fully expected less involvement in NHRA, with those funds re-directed to oval track racing (ARCA or Busch) beginning in 2000. Now the signing of John Nobile as another pro-stock driver might indicate a delayed return to cars on oval tracks.
Old 09-08-1999, 03:21 AM
Inactive User

I never thought that Mopar would limit their involvement in drag racing,although they cut off the Darrell Gwynn dragster sponsorship effective at the end of this year.But what does Mopar get as far as R&D from a dragster?? On a Pro Stock car,I can see any R&D as being helpful.And another thing,Mopar's pockets are lined pretty well just from the profits from Mopar Performance.
Old 09-08-1999, 03:31 AM
Inactive User

I agree that it sounds like the Mopar engine story was just a rumor. I'm just surprised that TNN ran with it so far.

I find it hard to believe that Roush would be convinced to give up a very successful ford program to move over to an unproven Mopar program. Penske is not so hard to believe and Petty Enterprises may just be wishful thinking by us old Petty fans.

I hope that the story about the delay of the Charger is also a rumor. That is the only car in the Chrysler future that I was looking forward to. I want a performance car but can't afford a Viper. It sounded like a Charger would be more affordable.

Old 09-08-1999, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

If Roush knew that Winston Cup racing was really head-to-head competition, he would't change brands, but there is the wonderful "parity" rule. NASCAR(R) would simply change the rules to make a Mopar competitive when the global whining began. The only problem would be the delayed reaction, and if Mark Martin was in a points race, it might hurt badly.
Old 09-08-1999, 04:19 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Think about it guys,
Roush isn't going to switch. His whole buisiness is Fords
Petty ran Dodge trucks when he had the chance, if he can do the cars too he will.
Penske will because of his strong Mercedes ties.
Old 09-08-1999, 05:03 PM
Inactive User

Smile

I don't know anything about NASCAR. I couldn't care less about their races since 1971. For some reason I feel like 1970 again since this topic started. Now that we all know I'm not any kind of an authority on this, I'll tell you what I think. I think we'll see an Intrepid at the roundy rounds to start. With the world class success of the Vipers, and NASCAR popularity back up, this could be a good forum to showcase a sedan for export. Alot of over seas eyes are on mama mopar these days. At allpar site I saw that exports are up to 232,000 from 61,000 in 91. I didn't get any specific models, but Neon, Caravan, Jeep and Viper seem to get the world press. Once were in a little deeper to the FWD family market we'll get our muscle car. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-09-1999, 01:38 AM
Inactive User

I highly doubt Roucsh will be going to a Dodge,hes another one that has a blue oval tatooed to his butt since birth.It could be possible of course,but I'd have to see it to believe it.He has had a strong relationship with ford since his Prostock days.
I do believe something is in the works here,but still no solid proof.Time will tell.Now 1 team no one here has counted on .The K+K racing team(#1 dodge truck team),they have done an awfull lot of R+D on the current nascar truck motor,the 1 kesolowski brother raced winston cup for about 10 yrs.They would bring a lot of knowlege with them if they started a winston cup team,and they could start in the middle of the year,if they don't plan on racing for points for the first year,sort of a R+D thing.Now I seem to remember they did that in prostock,and took the championship the next(MOPAR).
Who knows?
Caveman
Old 09-09-1999, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

One thing to consider is that the head of Mopar's oval track program is a former Jack Roush crew chief. Not that he's going to convince anyone to leave Ford, but it is a factor. Personally, I hope Jack sticks with Ford and Mopar makes K Automotive the #1 team. I'm not very enthusiastic about Jack's personality though I greatly respect his abilities.

I had the good fortune to spend about an hour visiting with Bob & Ron Keselowski, and was totally impressed by their friendliness and their pure dedication to Mopar. They have proved what they can do with factory support, and are deserving of leading any Cup effort.
Old 09-09-1999, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

I too,seriously doubt that Roush Racing would switch to Mopar,as ford pays him very well.Petty probably will switch,but the team I'd like to see with Mopar is Joe Gibbs racing.
Old 09-09-1999, 03:40 AM
Mopars win..others whine

I know Roush is a Ford person but I remember also reading where Roush had to start removing the word Ford from all of their apparell and souvineers a few months back. I do not know if this is any sign or if there is a copyright thing on this. All the other makes do not have their logo removed from their stuff. Just something more to think about.
Old 09-09-1999, 03:43 AM
Inactive User

I would love to see Petty Enterprises run Mopar. TNN had a story about Maurice's shop building Mopar engines for the truck program...it was great to hear Chrysler get some pu. Problem is that PE may have an extended contract with pontiac...so we'll have to see what the Petty's do.

I think Chrysler will move at least one truck team up to WC. Most likely it will be Keselowski but Compton's team is kicking ass as well. One team/person to consider is a new team fielded by Bobby Hamilton. Word has it that he is a huge Mopar guy and wants to have his own team.

Gibbs is unlikely to run Mopar in WC. He is the flagship pontiac team and would not give up such a successful program to go with a new unknown.

It sounds like a WC return is in the near future, but we will have to wait until 2001...with a probable announcement sometime next season.

Old 09-09-1999, 04:26 AM
Inactive User

The Gibbs rumor also has some merit. Mopar could do a package deal with both his NASCAR and NHRA efforts. That would be a huge coup to get a class act like Gibbs, and two of the best young drivers in WC.
Old 09-10-1999, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

I would like to see K+K racing involved in this one ,I also have met them and his wife KAY ,who is a very nice person.
The one thing I think we should keep in mind is the truck small block is making the most HP,out there right now,the outlaw smallblock is kicking tails period.Now A WC small block could possibly use technology from both ends.The fact that the outlaw sb motor puts out so much has to have some teams looking real hard right now.
I think K+K will have to get an experienced WC driver,there seems to be quite a few right now!!
CAVEMAN
Old 09-10-1999, 03:45 AM
Inactive User

Don't sell Dennis Setzer short as a WC driver! He has Busch and ARCA experience, and is fearless. Sometimes that gets him into trouble, but the more seat time he gets, the better he performs. He's an admitted GM guy, but the #1 truck is getting his name mentioned a lot.
Old 09-10-1999, 05:02 AM
Inactive User

Setzer did a very good job in tonight's race until the rain stopped the show.
Old 09-12-1999, 04:03 AM
Inactive User

Well we can kiss the ricky rudd rumour goodbye for 2000 anyway,hes going to drive the 28 car,now what will happen to his team and cars?,,,,HMMMM,could be a turn key setup for somebody!!
Cya
Caveman
Old 09-25-1999, 01:43 PM
Inactive User

Did you see the latest story that Ray Evernham might have a deal going with Dodge for 2000? It was a Charlotte Observer story, so has some credibility, but I can't imagine trying to get any racing program ready that soon.
Old 09-25-1999, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

A guy on the alt.hi-po.mopars newsgroup is claiming that all the funding and research is in place for a WC return next September w/a factory team and a two car team in 2001 involving Penske. Apparently one team will be a Mopar team and the other will be funded by the dealers assn.