Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Inactive User

Default 4 Speed advice

I bought a 4 speed for a abody yesterday for pretty cheap. I am building a 1976 Plymouth Scamp. I have a 318 im going to build with magnum heads. I'm going to use most of the same parts car craft did. I was going to use a 904 I have laying around with a Dynamic convertor. Since I purchased this 4 speed I thought about using it. I am wanting to use a Hurst v-gate 2 shifter. My main goal for this car is to go as fast as I can with the least amount of money. I also just bought a b body 8.75 that I am going to narrow with moser ends and have the axles resplined. I am worried about breaking the stock axles with a 4 speed. I still need alot of parts to swap to the 4 speed. I have the transmission,bellhousing, and flywheel. I was wondering if you think I should sell the transmission or should I use it. I am 16 years old and have only driven a manual once. That is the main reason I want the v-gate so I won't miss shifts. I think I could sell the transmission for enough to buy a PTC convertor.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Inactive User

i would run the 4 speed it funner on the street, because i don't like autos.I would run a hurst super shifter tho (super shifter has very nice feel). its going to be a good deal of work to change it from an auto car to a 4 speed (ie pedals trans tunnel) i would think the stock axle should be good to handle a little 318 with magnum heads. We had a 70 charger at the shop were i work with a build 440 making about 475hp with stock axles the guy drives it all the time.After u get use to driving a manual you shouldn't have much of a probablem with missing gear. Good luck with the car tho. later
Old 04-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

i converted my charger to 4-speed and ran it for awhile.
it's a lot of fun, and i'd do it again, but since you're on a budget
("go as fast as I can with the least amount of money")
i'd freshen that 904 and go with a good converter.

good luck
Old 04-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_dan View Post
i converted my charger to 4-speed and ran it for awhile.
it's a lot of fun, and i'd do it again, but since you're on a budget
("go as fast as I can with the least amount of money")
i'd freshen that 904 and go with a good converter.

good luck
I don't think it will cost that much more to go with the 4 speed. Would the Hurst V-gate be worth the extra $? How fast can you go w/ a 4 speed before having to have a SFI scattershield? I think I might run a little juice later.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Inactive User

Default 4 speeds are a ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73challenger_jm View Post
I bought a 4 speed for a abody yesterday for pretty cheap. I am building a 1976 Plymouth Scamp. I have a 318 im going to build with magnum heads. I'm going to use most of the same parts car craft did. I was going to use a 904 I have laying around with a Dynamic convertor. Since I purchased this 4 speed I thought about using it. I am wanting to use a Hurst v-gate 2 shifter. My main goal for this car is to go as fast as I can with the least amount of money. I also just bought a b body 8.75 that I am going to narrow with moser ends and have the axles resplined. I am worried about breaking the stock axles with a 4 speed. I still need alot of parts to swap to the 4 speed. I have the transmission,bellhousing, and flywheel. I was wondering if you think I should sell the transmission or should I use it. I am 16 years old and have only driven a manual once. That is the main reason I want the v-gate so I won't miss shifts. I think I could sell the transmission for enough to buy a PTC convertor.
Go with the 4 speed and have fun with it. If you break alot of
stuff you can always go to an auto. You will need after market axles.
Right after the splines the shaft is to narrow to respline.
The only way to respline is by narrowing the axle into the thick part.

Get the V-gate, you'll love it. I don't think you need a scatter shield
untill you get into the 10 second zone. If anything were to happen
with the clutch, your feet and legs are the first to go! Think safe!
Good luck with it!

Sounds like a fun starter car. Let us know how it works out.
Post pictures if you ever get a chance.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Inactive User

hello, the rule is 11.49 and faster require a scattersheild and SFI flywheel and clutch setup. best thing is get a rulebook, the hurst super shifter 3 is a very good unit.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:14 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
I don't think it will cost that much more to go with the 4 speed. Would the Hurst V-gate be worth the extra $? How fast can you go w/ a 4 speed before having to have a SFI scattershield? I think I might run a little juice later.
I'd get the Hurst V gate for sure. Are you going to run it at the Music City Dragway? If so, use the auto tranny. You'll be much faster and more consistent. Check out our club and car show in the fall at www.musiccitymoparclub. Come join us.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Inactive User

No, I have never even heard of there. I will be running at Bristol street fights. I don't have to worry about being consistent there.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Inactive User

Installing a clutch pedal assembly and linkage is going to be some work. I would just go with the auto with a good converter and be done with it. High powered 4 speeds and low budget don’t mix well…they tend to eat drive train parts (u-joints, rear ends, bla bla bla). PTC makes a good converter for a good price. Best of luck with your ca
Old 04-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
I have a 318 im going to build with magnum heads. .............I am worried about breaking the stock axles with a 4 speed.
Your going to have to invest alot of money into that 318 before you have to worry about breaking your axles.

I drive nothing but stick and converted my Duster a couple years ago. Nothing compares to having a well adjusted linkage assy and a pistolgrip behind a Mopar engine.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
No, I have never even heard of there. I will be running at Bristol street fights. I don't have to worry about being consistent there.
I know where your at now. That track is in Gallitan Tn. N.E. of Nashville. Thought you might have been closer to my area.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Inactive User

I have a 71 dart 318 -eidlebrock per. intake -600 cfm eidlebrock 4 bbr -hedman headers- dual 2.5 exhaust. 904 tranny 7.25 rear-- I have great response in 1st but in 2nd it lages real bad any ideas is it my tranny or my rear-I have electronic ign.