Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-19-1999, 07:21 PM
Inactive User

Anyone out there running a mopar on a paved oval 1/2mile or bigger? I would like to talk about front suspension tech. Looking for input about spindles, lower arms, steering parts for propper bump steer etc. anyone who can offer help or refer me to someone who can would be greatly appreciated. Have both an 'E' and 'A' body available, will start building one soon but want to excahnge ideas before a decission is made. Thanks. JC
Old 12-19-1999, 09:16 PM
Inactive User

JC, I have run a challenger on a 5/8 mi. track. Thompson, Ct. If you get involved, I can help, but most of the basics will be determined by the rulebook, and how you choose to apply it. There can be alot of gray area applied to mopars, because of sparse numbers at any track. This can be a definite advantage, unless you're inspector is a dick. I also have many parts available.I.E. aluminum seat,safety harness, 22 gallon fuel cell, leaf springs, torsion bars, etc. let me know if I can help.
Old 12-21-1999, 04:26 AM
Inactive User

Dakman, Thanks for the reply! Are you he guy who ran the #10 car at Thompson? This is where I'm trying to build this car for! If this is you, do you still have that car? Would like to know if it's still out there? Have several options at this point but strongly leaning towards a Late Model rather than a Street Stock. Can get away with a lot more in the front clip and rear spring mounts. What are your thoughts on an 'A' body late model? I have a stripped-out chassis of an A and E body. There are also several cars floating around that may be for sale (#48 duster, SS, #71 duster LM? -did not run in '99 and maybe the #53 dart SS which was the former #35 car? Know anything about these cars or any others out there?
Old 12-21-1999, 05:57 PM
Inactive User

JIM, REGARDING THE LATE MODEL FOR THOMPSON- MOPARS ARE NOW RUN ON A GM METRIC FRAME AND SUSPENSION WITH A HUNG BODY. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A 2000 RULEBOOK THEY ARE NOW AVAILABLE. AS FAR AS LATE MODEL EXPERIENCE MIKE LOVETERE IS THE MAN TO CONSULT WITH ON THOMPSON APPLICATIONS. HAVE YOU ALREADY COMPETED IN STRICTLY STOCK? IT IS THE LOGICAL FIRST STEP, AS YOU WILL LEARN MUCH WITHOUT SPENDING YOUR WAY OUT OF YOUR HOUSE. THEN YOU CAN MOVE UP TO LATE MODEL. THIS IS VERY COMPETITIVE RACING. YOU WILL SPEND MUCH OF YOUR TIME TENDING TO THIS EFFORT. YOU CANNOT DO THIS HALF-ASSED. ITS ALL OR NOT AT ALL. DONT BE WHAT THE CHEVY PEOPLE HAVE WORKED TO ACHIEVE,WHICH IS RELATIVE MEDIOCRITY DUE TO LACK OF FORMIDABLE COMPETITION FROM MOPARS AND FORDS. THIS IS WHY YOU OFTEN SEE ONE DODGE WIN OVER THE FIELD OF CHEVYS, AND THEN THE CHEVYS BITCH.LET ME KNOW OTHER DETAILS OF YOUR PLANS .
Old 01-22-2000, 06:50 PM
Inactive User

THIS IS IN REPLY TO DAKMAN'S COMMENT ABOUT THE EXTRA PARTS HE HAS. INTERESTED IN THE TORION BARS AND LEAF SPRINGS. THE CARS YOU HAD RUN WAS IT ON ASPHALT OR DIRT? I AM LOOKING ALSO FOR SOME INFORMATION AND IDEAS ON IMPROVING THE CORNNING ABILTY OF THE A-BODY DARTS. I RUN ONE ON A 3/8-MILE HIGH BANKED ASPHALT TRACK IN INDIANA. ALSO I AM LOOKING FOR ANY OF THE OLD KIT CARS. MAYBE EVEN SOME OLD ASPHALT CARS A 0R E BODY. SO IF YOU COULD HELP ON ANY OF THIS FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER SO WE COULD TALK OR JUST REPLY BACK. IF ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE COULD HELP WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.

[This message has been edited by DARTRACER (edited January 22, 2000).]
Old 01-23-2000, 08:08 PM
Inactive User

Dartracer, You may want to try the book "Street Stock Chassis Technology" from Steve Smith (#S192). It is mostly about GM cars but they have a chapter on leaf springs and the set-up information is very helpful. Web site for them is www.ssapubl.com. Hope this is helpful. Also would like to know what you run for a sway bar in front?
Old 02-04-2000, 11:12 PM
Inactive User

I use a sway bar off of chevy 2 wheel drive trucks. With a little work they will fit. I have been running mopars 1.140 dia. torion bars on the front. The car is about 4 tenths off of being in the top 1 to 3 cars. The rear spring are what I believe is part of the problem. I've been using the super stock spring. Its not right but what do do when the only spring offered by mopar is dirt track springs. But I was just reading in here and read about two other manufactors of some chyrsler leaf springs. Any information on shocks would be a help too.
Old 04-25-2000, 03:54 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

As for shocks,We run a 1/4 mile paved track in a Chrysler kit car. Carrera shocks are used front and rear. We use a 2774 left front 2776 right front and 2975's in the rear. Car scales at 3100 lbs 56.5% left side, 51% rear and 51% cross. The frame ht. is 6" in the front and 7" at the rear. 1.140 bars are used. We also run a American Racer spec tire. Track times at Stockton 99 Speedway is 15.2/15.5 with a pretty mild 340. Email me for car pics. Racing4lefts @aol.com