Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-19-2000, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

According to Jayski, Evernham was told to stop building his prototype Dodge until the common template is completed. The story says it will be based on the Ford. No more Winston Cup events for me.
Old 03-19-2000, 03:38 AM
Inactive User

They had better think about that!! If the cars lose their individual brand identity, NASCAR is going to lose a lot of fans! Don't they realize that brand identity is one of the reasons that NASCAR does so well!
Old 03-19-2000, 06:26 AM
Inactive User

I don't claim to be an expert on WC bodies; but, I understand the common templates would apply to the front glass, top and rear glass only. There are some good reasons for this, the glass is really not glass, it's Lexan and the custom molds for the front/rear is very expensive and each brand is different. And this a lot of crying between Ford and GM about tops and front/rear "glass" angles. I understand some of the teams "may?" have there own custom Lexan molds. At the speeds they are running a slight angle adjustment can make a significant difference. With the engines being so close to each other (HP wise), aerodynamics is speed and handling.
Old 03-20-2000, 04:19 AM
Mopars win..others whine

The rumor on telling Evernham to stop building cars is NOT true! According to Jayski's Evernham said that is a rumor from the internet.
Old 03-28-2000, 06:41 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Not only does NASCAR want common body templates but according to an item on Jayski, they now want common engines. Supposedly NASCAR advised Mopar that they want the new Dodge Cup engine being designed to be a copy of the Chevy SB2. Ford would also be advised to make their next engine design a copy of the SB2 as well. What is happening to NASCAR? They want to run a single spec series with a common body and engine that will have decals on the body or valve covers to denote the supposed manufacturer? The ASA racing series has just gone to a common engine this year, you run a Chevy engine in the car regardless if the bodywork is a Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Taurus, Thunderbird, Avenger, Intrepid or Volkswagen! Now the series is trying to get sponsors to put up extra contingency money for teams using a non-GM body to try and get some variety in the series. But how does a race team using a Ford or Dodge body promote their winning of a race by declaring our Chevy engine really made our Ford/Dodge run great today. How do they get a local Ford or Dodge dealer to sponsor them if they cannot market the fact that their Ford or Dodge sure outran those Chevies. I for one do not like this trend of common bodies or engines and when I'm at the races and cheering for a Mopar to win I don't want to find out it is Chevy powered.

P.S. I guess the same holds true for us in drag racing where all funny cars use Chrysler Hemi's regardless of body style, but it still does not make it right.
Old 03-29-2000, 02:44 AM
Inactive User

Rusty Wallace was on RPMTonight and said that he didn't think NASCAR would go with a spec engine or body.I for one would NEVER watch any type of racing that did that.
Old 03-29-2000, 05:44 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

I've really been excited since Dodge announced its return to Winston Cup. It's what I've been waiting for since Buddy Arrington parked his Mopar. BUT - if common templates are adopted by NASCAR, they can kiss this fan good-bye! AND even the thought of common engines makes me wonder if NASCAR has lost their minds! Common templates or engines would take 98% of the fun out of the racing for most spectators! Don't they realize that NASCAR fans are brand loyal auto buffs? If we weren't, we'd probably be open wheel racing fans! The FORD vs CHEVY vs DODGE vs PONTIAC is what makes the NASCAR races exciting for most of us! Let's just hope they come to their senses before its too late. Why don't they ask the fans if they're in favor of generic brand auto racing. I think they would be surprised at the overwhelming response in favor of brand identity, both body and engine-wise! Does anyone know how to e-mail NASCAR and voice an opinion as to how stupid a move the common templates or engines would be?
Old 03-29-2000, 06:16 PM
Inactive User

You can E-Mail NASCAR at comments@nascar.go.com Lets all send them a little note telling them we want to keep brand identity a part of the sport and don't want Winston Cup to become an IROC style series.
Old 03-29-2000, 06:26 PM
Mopars win..others whine

You can E-mail NASCAR online...comments@nascar.go.com or the NASCAR headquarters can be reached by phone 904-253-0611. They do not have an E-mail address listed.
Old 03-31-2000, 04:47 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the NASCAR e-mail address. I've sent them my opinion opposing generic auto racing. I hope others have too. If they go ahead with common templates (or worse, common engines), I think that means instead of listening to their fans, they're interested in making things easier for themselves (NASCAR) OR they're being influenced too much by the few whiney drivers that complain all the time.
Old 04-03-2000, 04:52 AM

We all know that this is because everybody is afraid of the Dodge competition. NASCAR may even decide to NOT let Dodge use the new engine, bcause Ford and GM are afraid of the engines potential.

------------------
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 04-03-2000, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

There is more to Nascar considering common templates and cylinder head configurations than Dodge entering the competition, although that certainly complicates the situation. They made a mistake several years ago by letting GM change from a 23 degree head to an 18 degree version. Then they allowed high port versions. Ford complained so Nascar allowed them to change to a new head design. To me they really stretched to allow the SB2 head for GM. Now Dodge is entering the fray with a Hemi head(canted valve)? Now this will force everybody to upgrade again.

All of this gets very expensive for all the team owners. There were enough complaints when it was GM and Ford only. The Hemi will have everyone up in arms. I talked to a Cup team owner last week who said the cost for him to convert from 18 degree to SB2 heads cost him over one million bucks! Wow! And the sponsors don't cough up the extra bucks happily. So yeah, all this discussion about template this and that has just come up. I don't think it is aimed specifically at Dodge, I just think maybe Dodge entering competion may have been the "straw that broke the camel's back".
Old 04-04-2000, 01:40 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

As I have said several times, the reason Nascar SUCKS is because they dont want the engines to be the deciding factor in the race they want the race to be decided by the teams and driver...
SUCK
The reason that thye are going to a common body style is because ford had a better design and instead of building a better chassis and body GM went and wined(Like they did in the 60's and early 70's) to the big boys at Nascar.
Its biting them in the a$$ now!!!
The cars are going to become a souless clones
a Mopar/Ford/Chevy/Pontiac (and maybe Toyota) in name only someday.
I think nascars rules should be "if you cant build better LEAVE"
Not "If you cant build better we will ban it"
my .02
maxwedge
Old 04-05-2000, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

The last post by Maxwedge just made me think when he says " maybe Toyota" . If Nascar goes to a common body with nothing more than decals for brand identification, ie. headlight, grille and taillight decals to signify Ford, Chevy, Pontiac or Dodge then why stop there. NASCAR could interest every manufacturer to enter the sport. NASCAR would provide the common body and the different manufacturers would only need to supply some decals and they could all go "Cup" racing with no development cost. Just think a race field composed of Ford, Dodge, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn and why not Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Volkswagen, Hyundia, Fiat, Daewoo, Kia, Alpha Romeo, Ferrari --- WOW WHAT A FIELD!!! And all for just the cost of a few headlight and tailight decals to each manufacturer. NASCAR could have one supplier produce the cars with the common generic body and engine and each manufacturer would buy their team cars, outfit them with the decals and go racing. Perhaps each manufacturer could have 2 teams each just like Formula 1 does now.

P.S. I don't support the above idea but I just got to thinking that this could be the ultimate end of the common body and engine debate taken to its worst conclusion. What's everyone elses thoughts on this.
Old 04-07-2000, 05:08 AM

I can understand NASCAR sanctioning min/max CID, min/max vehicle weight, and minimum safety requirements. I feel that should be the end of it though.

If one team(crew/brand/driver) can make the car go faster and win the race, then it is up to the other teams to do the same. If they can't do that for whatever reason, maybe it's time for that team to get out.

NASCAR racing is a TEAM(crew/brand/driver) effort. If your team can come together and make it happen, then you should be gettint the big bucks. If your team can't get it together, then get out.

By going to these templates, it is no longer a TEAM effort. With the template, it clearly becomes the best driver, not TEAM.

Old 04-07-2000, 01:07 PM

I'm wondering if this isn't some sort of ploy by NASCAR to shut-up the chevy cry babys. Nascar has to be smart enough to know that if the manufacturers can't win on Sunday and sell Monday they will pull out if racing. Series where fans can't identify with the cars have not done well recently, CART and IRL. NASCAR can't be serious, let's hope anyway.
Old 06-02-2000, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Apparently NASCAR has revived the idea of common templates again. The idea was almost put in place but apparently due to strong opposition from the fans and manufacturers they had shelved the idea for now. New rumours have NASCAR proposing a common template body over 90% of the car with each manufacturer having some leeway in the front and rear clip only to provide product identification. We have to continue to E-mail NASCAR to let them know that the fans do not want a spec body series and that we still want Dodges to look like Dodges, Fords to look like Ford's etc. Apparently NASCAR has requested certain teams to build bodies to this new 90% common body, for testing.
Old 06-06-2000, 08:39 PM
Inactive User

I guess we'll soon find out whether or not NASCAR really cares what the fans think or not! I love NASCAR racing and Dodge's return to Cup is a long-awaited event for me, but I definitely will lose interest if Winston Cup becomes generic auto racing. I think the folks at NASCAR are beginning to Micro-manage their sport way too much. NASCAR fans don't just root for their favorite driver; they root for their favorite driver in their favorite brand of automobile! It's always been that way and that's one of the MAIN reasons that NASCAR is so popular. If NASCAR regulates brand identity out of their race cars (which it seems like they're slowly but surely doing), the sport of NASCAR racing will come crashing down off of its current lofty spot! It's as simple as that.
Old 06-07-2000, 07:25 AM
Inactive User

Have sent my comments to NASCAR On-line. My views on this topic were stated in detail in the "Engine to be used" discussion. In my comments to NASCAR ON-LINE I implored them to forget the templates of the past and embrace a new beginning-a new pact with the fans and racers that emphasizes inovation and brand competition. Let's just hope someone's listening.

------------------

Old 06-08-2000, 06:18 AM
Inactive User

I NO LONGER WATCH ASA RACING,(USE SPEC GM ENG.NASCAR SEEMS TO BE HEADED THAT WAY ALSO,
IF THEY PUT A SPEC BODY IN THE RULES ,I WILL NO LONGER WATCH NASCAR.I ALSO DO NOT WATCH IROC FOR THAT REASON.IT HAS PROGRESSED TO THE POINT OF SHOW BIZ AND BIG MONEY.
PS.
JUST ASK HUMPY WHEELER.$$$$$$$$$$$