Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-14-2000, 05:59 PM
Inactive User

Question

Im trying to figure out why they went out a designed a new 2 door intrepid instead of using the obvious existing choice the Avenger!? But nooo they discontinue the Avenger and build a new car car and state that they are discontinuing the Avenger because we the consumers dont want 2 door cars! SO WHY BUILD A NEW ONE THEN!????
Old 06-14-2000, 06:23 PM

DangerBoy. I think the Avenger would have been to small. Besides, it doesn't compete in the same market segment as the monte carles and tarass. Who really knows though.
Old 06-14-2000, 07:48 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I know Mopar said "people dont want 2 doors" but how many 2 door trucks do they sell, and Ford sells 150,000 Fartstains...you cant tell me ma mopar actually believes that crap. They just dont want to risk building one.
Old 06-14-2000, 09:20 PM
Inactive User

Cool

The Avenger will be replaced by the 2dr. Stratus for 2001.

The Avenger in reality was a product of DIAMONDSTAR MOTORS and more properly a Mitsubishi based vehicle.

I have an AVENGER bodied short track asphalt late model car and am attempting at this time to rebody it as an INTREPID as it's the model that most will indentify with when the NASCAR INTREPID is rolled out for 2001

The INTREPID is a slick car in stock form and with the skills Daimler-Chrysler and the skills of the fabricators in the shop, you will see a car that people will identify with the street model and maybe in the future a 2 door version could be in the offing.

The Avenger would be too small, an aerodynamic nightmare at high speed and simply not in the same league with the current crop of NASCAR approved models.

Trust me, the final form INTREPID for NASCAR will be as slick as NASCAR will allow and there will still be some "trick tweaks" still up Evernham's sleeve for the body and engine in the INTREPID.

Old 06-15-2000, 10:46 PM
Inactive User

The new Winston Cup Intrepid is not a two door. It's a Taurus with a Dodge nose and tail.

The Avenger was submitted to NASCAR(R) when it was first built, as was the LeBaron coupe. Both were rejected because they were too small, and could not be modified to WC dimensions at that time. The stock Intrepid is larger than all other current models approved for WC, so will be made smaller to comply with WC dimensions.

When the Taurus was approved for Winston Cup, the rules specifying a "domestic two door" were revised to specify a "domestic sedan".

Wouldn't it be nice if they just ran stock bodies and let the manufacturers compete?
Old 06-16-2000, 01:48 PM
Inactive User

Yeah I know the history of the Avenger; shoot im the Canadian administrator of the Avenger Sebring owners group! It still doesnt make me feel any better about DC's decision or Nascars decision! We have a hell of a time finding performance parts for our cars because Chrysler and Mitsu both consider us the Bastard child. If we had some serious racing done with our platform then we would have had the parts. The real thorn in my flesh is that we begged and pleaded for a 5 speed V6 in the Avenger/Sebring and then they discontinue it due to "lack of 2 door sales" and produce a stratus R/T coupe with exactly what we wanted!!!! always the underdogs. Done whining now B)