Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-08-2000, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

The sad news is Kenny Irwin Jr. died at New Hampshire International today in practice.He died in the same corner about 50 ft away from where Adam Petty Died last month.
I met this guy a couple of years ago at the Glen ,just before he went to Yates racing.I can say he was a top notch guy.He took the time to talk to me and my kids and sign autgraphs.I am deeply saddened by this event
Old 07-08-2000, 05:35 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, I heard. What a tragedy! Two drivers killed at the same track, same curve, same manner; I think that is too much of a coincidence. I would be taking a long hard look at that area of the track for any sign of a bump, dip, crack or whatever. They said it looked like the throttle stuck but that's exactly what they said about Adam Petty, too. It just sounds too fishy to me.
Old 07-09-2000, 01:54 PM
Inactive User

[i agree with attsr, something needs to be done wether it be foam blocks on the corners, or a saftey device like the one used on snowmobiles that kills the motors when the throttle freezes or whatever, we can't afford to keep losing these talented young men, kenny irwin was a great driver and i always thought that from the time i seen him in sprints, and i am sure that you all heard the rumors that he was going to be driving a dodge next year and i was really hoping that was true, kenny is going to be missed, i just hope that his and adam's deaths weren't for nothing and that nascar learns something from these unfortunate circumstances and does something to solve the problem. it won't bring them back or end the pain for the families but hopefully we won't see another one of these for a while, yesterday in the truck race dennis setzers throttle hung going into the same corner too.it was definetly scarey. its just reallyt hard to understand why? why were these great drivers and people taken from us early. sorry i know i am rambling.

Old 07-09-2000, 05:53 PM
Inactive User

They say the throttle hung,who knows(I kind of doubt that).I would say they should use foam blocks in the corners there,or something.When you don't get into the corner right at that track you are wall bound,period.It is a flat track,so there is no chance to rub off speed.At the Glen I have seen what the Foam blocks do,they save lives.An example of that would be the last Busch race,in turn 1,that driver hit head on and walked away.A lot of tracks are now using the foam blocks for safety.