Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Inactive User

Default Breather Cap

Did original breather cap for a 1969 Roadrunner/ 1968 Dodge Charger R/T come in chrome or black? I cant seem to find an original one. Anyone has any resources in finding one. Thank You
Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Inactive User

Sorry i dont have an asnwer for you, but perhaps you do for me. As you know, the snokle on the stock air cleaner has a hose connected to the breather to draw air though the motor. Does that work with the PCV valve? I have an open air element now, so no hose connected to a vacuum source. The breather is just "open". Cap is there, but no hose to carb.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Mine was painted to match the painted valve covers. There are some chrome stock type valve covers with chrome breathers.

68DCharger383, it does work with your PCV system. There's no vacuum to it. The PCV has vacuum on that side and it pulls air through the breather, through the block, through the PCV valve and into the intake track to burn off vapors and such. You need to use the parts that came with your aftermarket air filter to hook the brather back up to it so it can draw clean air into the engine instead of drawing in dirt that can get trapped in the oil and scare the bearigns and rings.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Inactive User

Yes, but for some reason at the time i wrote my post my brain farted and i though in reverese. As if to say the carb was sucking the air through and not the PCV, which of coarse is indicative of a brain fart. Anyway, i should go get a breather with a filter element on it to prevent the very damage you speak of. Thankfully the stock cap is facing the firewall so between the fan and the forward movment of the car, the air is blowing past the opeing, and not into it. Althoughi i totally see your very valid point and appreciated point. Sometime i see smoke from there, could that mean my PCV is no working properly and the gases are just meandering aroung in the block and hence some are seen as fumes coming out of the breather inlet ?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I would check to see if hte line is clear and the valve is free or just replace it since it's only a couple dollars and they can get carboned up. The carb fitting needs to be clear as well. It's probably working fine, but most likely what you are seeing is some blow by past the rings if it has some millage on it. Most after market air cleaners have a nipple you can add to the bottom of the filter pan to connect to your valve cover beather. It's really called an oil seperater in some books. Keeps oil spalshed up from the rocker gear from getting out of the engine. Some are open and some contain a metal filter pad that looks kind of like a brillo pad inside of it.