Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Inactive User

Default 6-Pack Choke

I've just finished install a 6-pack setup on the bored/stroked 440 in my `67 Belvedere and have a question about the choke. I installed the factory thermostatic choke on the center carb - the one that bolts into the intake manifold. A buddy of mine says the choke plate will never open as there won't be enough heat in the manifold to operate the thermostatic choke.

The factory tech manual I have doesn't show any heat riser or pipe, but it is missing a lot of pages. Nor can I find any photos of an original 6-pack set-up that shows any type of heat supply to the choke. Will I run into any problems with the choke installed as is? Just suffer through a long warm-up period? I hate to install a manual choke cable, or even worse, an electric choke (never have been able to get them to work.....)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

Steve why do you think it wont get hot enough to open?

And electric chokes are a piece of cake. You can adjust the voltage, the spring tension, what ever it takes to get the choke to open as fast as need be per your application.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

Default 6-Pack Choke

DJWHOG -
Thanks for the quick response. Mopars in general, and 6-packs in specific are pretty new ground for me - so I don't have any experience with the choke set-ups. My gut feel, since I haven't been able to find any evidence showing that Chrysler used external heat on the choke thermostat, is that the set-up as installed SHOULD work. But my buddy's a pretty sharp car guy and has been around Mopars for 30+ years, so I never take his advice lightly. Just hoping there somebody on the forum with a RB 6-pack that has run through this issue.

My electric choke experience has been with Chevys - and probably due to my experience, but they just seemed to work for a short while and then quit....maybe it's a Bowtie thing...but generally I'M the culprit.
Thanks!
Steve
Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Inactive User

I have had a six pack on my 383 for the past several years (25+) with the stock choke setup that you have described and never had a problem. With the first pump of the pedal when the engine is cold it sets the choke and after about 5 minutes it comes off on it's own.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Inactive User

Here's a page you might want to look at.
http://www.mopar1.us/6barreltips.html
Might want to do a search on here for 6-pack, 6pack, six barrel, and six pack. There's a lot of info already out there, along with some questions you might have that are already answered.
And a few other sites also...
http://www.sixpackperformance.net/SixPackParts.htm
http://rain.prohosting.com/motrefok/list.html#sixpack

Also, in the moparts tech archive, there is a couple of sections for the sixpack, one with a section on members opinions on the choke.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkennedy View Post
A buddy of mine says the choke plate will never open as there won't be enough heat in the manifold to operate the thermostatic choke.
Have your buddy place his finger on the manifold right next to the thermostat after the engine has ben running for a few minutes. He'll change his mind.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Inactive User

Default 6-Pack Choke

Thanks for the great links! I also trust your word that the intake will get hot enough to convince my buddy - I want to keep him in good shape as his help has been invaluable... I'm also guessing that since I have aluminum heads, I'll get even more heat transfer up toward the intake manifold...

Once again - thanks for making this the "go to" place for Mopar information!

Steve