Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

Default Leaf Springs, Super Stock or Stock

Hey guys I would like your input on this. I just recently as of yesterday purchased a set of stock leaf springs for my 71 340 Duster and a friend of mine told me I should have purchased Super Stock Leaf springs... Is there that big of difference between stock and SS springs?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

Biggrin

There's a big difference. The stock springs are for street use of course. And the SS springs are made for drag racing. They have a biased RR spring to limit torque roll on launch so it wont unload the spring and tire on that side causing traction lose. THey also sit a little higher to promote weight transfere. So, I guess it depends on the use of your car as to whether or not you got the right springs.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Inactive User

DWC, as far as traction goes my car is equiped with SSM lift bars and I dont drag race so hopefully I wont have any problems, and if I do have problems I guess I will have to remove and replace with SS springs. I had guy on MoPower Style tell me about Hemi +1 springs and sent me some pics. Think I will go this route if I have problems... Thanx DWC..
Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 AM

The SS springs will jack up the rear. I would go with ESPO and have them make up a set of springs that will give you the desired spring rate, while maintaining the desired ride height.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Inactive User

Hmmm Thats a serious thought ehostler. Dont want my rear end jacked up. Thanx...
Old 04-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leige View Post
DWC, as far as traction goes my car is equiped with SSM lift bars and I dont drag race so hopefully I wont have any problems, and if I do have problems I guess I will have to remove and replace with SS springs. I had guy on MoPower Style tell me about Hemi +1 springs and sent me some pics. Think I will go this route if I have problems... Thanx DWC..
Welcome, anytime. You might look at Landrum for a spring choice as well. That's the ones we use.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Inactive User

Ok well this leaf spring deal is becoming a nightmare. My springs came yesterday and they sent me the wrong ones. The front bushing diameter is 3 1/2" Oblong where the original that are on my car are 1 1/4" and the rear bushing on the new srping is close to 1 3/4" oval where my original is around 1 1/4". Looking at other springs at different sites both ends look to be the same and I also noticed that there are left and right leaf springs and then some sights mention both left and right springs are the same. I noticed that the left spring has the leafs offset and more towards the front of the spring and the right side the majority of the leafs are in the center of the spring. Whats the purpose of the left spring being off center? My current spring set up is both springs are the same with 5 leafs on each spring with the thickest part of the springs in the center.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I was going to say you got a pair of F body springs, but they are oval on both ends so there's not tellin what they fit. They sure wont any Mopar that I know of. Send them back.

All right side springs have more spring rate than the lefts on a street car. Any site that says they are the same do not know what they are talking about and I would not use them. The extra RR spring rate is to try and limit some of the torque roll on take off. Keeps the RR spring from unloading and spinning the tires. Have to remember most street cars use an open rear axle carrier and the RR is the wheel that wants to unload and spin on launch.

Some springs will have more right leafs to prevent this torque roll as well. IF you find springs with a half leaf facing forward that is to prevent spring wrap up. That's where the axle rotates during launch and it goes too far, then the spring unwinds and it causes wheel hop and tire spin. The extra half leaf facing forward is an attempt to prevent this from hapening too. Your rear also has a piinion snubber that is suposed to contact the floor board to try and prevent the same thing.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Inactive User

Ok DWC thanx for the info about the springs. Yes without a doubt these springs will not fit. I sent them back to JCW this morning and I now am in the process of trying to recoup my $24.00 for the return shipping cost...Itwas their error not mine so hopefully they will see it that way.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Welcome,anytime. Good luck getting your money back. THey should send it back to you though since they were in the wrong.

Last thing I bought from them was the door rubber gaskets for my 4x4. THey were perfect and fit tight. This was years ago and you still have to slam the door or crack the windows to get them closed. Cab traps air in it and makes it hard to close that's why if you crack the windows the doors close without slamming them.

Let us know if you get all your money back. That way we know if we wont to deal with them again.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43 View Post
Welcome,anytime. Good luck getting your money back. THey should send it back to you though since they were in the wrong.

Last thing I bought from them was the door rubber gaskets for my 4x4. THey were perfect and fit tight. This was years ago and you still have to slam the door or crack the windows to get them closed. Cab traps air in it and makes it hard to close that's why if you crack the windows the doors close without slamming them.

Let us know if you get all your money back. That way we know if we wont to deal with them again.
I will do that DWC..
Old 05-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Inactive User

The entire suspension on a 67-72 A-body is different than a 73-76 A-body. The springs from ESPO are equal on both sides with the same spring rate and come with the number of leafs and the car sits level at factory ride height. These springs are fitted to a 72 Duster. JCW is getting ravew notices on another site for price and firment for A-bodies go to www.bigblockdart.com maybe one of the members has some solution.