Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Inactive User

Default MP 360 shortblock

Just thinking of doing a quick fix for my RR by buying a 360 short block from ma mopar and using my 340 heads and what not to complete the build. I dont know anyone with just the LA short block form mopar so I'm asking abought it here. I can pick one up w/ my discount for $1325 at the dealer and I would ahve more then that into just the new rotating assembly for my 340. I have a shrinking budget do to to may things going wrong with my house and a 2nd child on the way and I just dont want the car sitting to long and me start to lose interest.

If the 360 short block is a good buy please lmk

Thanks
Joe
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Inactive User

I have the crate motor installation manual, and there is an extensive chapter on their 360 short blocks, they come with excellent pasrts and are assembled by the factory, and when performance machine shops in my area are charging 2000 cash for the same build, or nearly so, it makes sense, and cents, !!! , to go with mp. The price is fantastic, comparatively speaking, and the two people I know who have crate gear from mp say they are VERY happy with it. I am tempted, myself!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Mike. It makes me feel better knowing people are happy with the crate motors form MP.

even with me having to buy the 360 flywheel and balancer it's still a great deal. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt to good to be true.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

Which one are you buying...the 8.5 to 1 or the 9.5 to 1..

Seems the 9.5 is always on back order.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 PM

There have been numerous threads about quality problems with Mopar crate motors.

Some people say that the motor should be torn down and checked for fits and everything torqued to spec. Horror stories about missing rings and incorrect bearings have gone around.

Some say that the crates built in Tennessee were junk, while those built in Canada were pretty good.

A few people have said good right out of the box, while others say they failed in a few hundred miles.

Do a search under crate motors and decide. If you buy one, don't let it sit for too long before installation because the warranty is only 90 days from date of sale.

There was a time that I was going to buy one for my old '97 Ram truck and I called Mopar Performance and asked them. The man I talked to advised tear down and reassembly just to make sure. The price of a gasket kit would be a small investment to protect a large one. I didn't buy it and later on, Mopar dropped that particular 360.

As an afterthought, they aren't built in a Chrysler plant, but are farmed out to other shops.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

my 9.5-1 (Or 10-1 as they used to advertise it) came with ill machined deck heights and some positive pistons. I said some as not all the pistons were at the same deck height.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 AM

I would check to make sure they are still available. The non-magnum anyway. I tried to buy one about a year ago for the Swinger and everybody labeled them as N/A (not available). I mean I checked everywhere. I ordered one in April of last year and estimated delivery was January of this year. I finally bailed on the MP short block because they just weren`t making them. Things may have changed but it appeared that there focus was elsewhere because the magnum crate motors were available off and on.

Rock`
Old 05-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

i bought one when they first came out, it was a "non" magnum (turned out to be a 90 360 roller block) turned out i couldn't use a crane roller cam in it because of the taller lifter bosses hit the h bar on the lifters. otherwise i had excellent luck with it i did check bearing clearances but did not take the pistons out. i installed w-2 heads and a 585 ultadyne solid cam in it. put a 100 shot of nitrous on it and was running 10.80's in a 3200 pound duster. beat on it for about a year and half before i traded the car. the cost seems alittle high, i paid 1100 for mine and that was cost plus ten percent, most good parts departments can do that, just price shop it.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 PM

Hey Beeeep
I bought the mp short block for about the same amount of monies and am very pleased with it. I was told that it was built at the cummins plant in canada it is a 95 block not sure if that is a magnum but it is built to LA specs p/n P4876908. The best I have run is a 13.37 1/4 and that was at San Angelo Dragway with no slicks just street tires (gt qualifiers). I usually run 13.7 to 13.8 when I can get it hooked up. My setup is ...1969 Plymouth Satellite with a 904 and 8.75 sure grip w/3.55 gears. I have the small valve heads "587" casting and had the exhaust side ported and have the crane gold roller rockers, cam is the hydraulic .508 that comes with it. Also have the chinese version of the airgap from ebay w/a 750 dp and 1 inch spacer, summit ceramic coated headers thru 3 inch TTI exhaust. I had to buy the Harmonic balancer and use the b&m flex plate and it has no abnormal vibrations from what I can tell. Also I have converted to electronic ignition.
Good luck
Nick
Old 05-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Inactive User

I'm now having 2nd thoughts on the short block after reading some of the threads. I'm looking to save money not buy a short block that needs rebuilt so I can spend more money. I'll have to do some more thinking before just dropping the money and hoping for the best.

Thanks guys
Old 05-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Inactive User

i was trying to buy mp short block,but no one have them on stock. like jegs:

The following item has been added to your cart. This item is temporarily out of stock. The expected date it will ship is in 28 weeks, if your order is placed today.