Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-05-2001, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

This is my first time posting something to the NASCAR forum so forgive me if this has been posted before, I looked through a few and didn't see it so I thought I would post it. I worked with Chrysler-Dodge for about 1 year or so and a few months ago it was brought to our attention that the Intrepid is going to be RWD and they are going to slap the Hemi in it. The original plans were for the Hemi Charger to go into NASCAR but since the production has been cancelled it looks like the Intrepid will get it in 2002. Looks like I'm gonna be glued to every race now.
Old 01-06-2001, 01:24 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Zeus:
That would be a real "stretch" for Daimler/Chrysler to do something like that. However,history could repeat itself. About 30 years ago, Mopar was dominating with the Hemi. Then of course, NASCAR outlawed the Hemi. Why would a car manufacture want to go through all the effort to make a car, when they couldn't guarantee that it would be allowed to run?
On second thought, the Hemi referred to may be a 4 cylinder hemi engine and not the legendary 426 Hemi. I'll be watching for further developments.

[This message has been edited by DYNO360 (edited January 05, 2001).]
Old 01-06-2001, 04:58 AM
Inactive User

Welcome to the NASCAR room, Zeus, my fellow North Carolinian!!

Where did you work for D-C? You're not currently working for them?

Rear drive, front drive, it matters not to me. I just want to see that red #9 Dodge run in the front, no matter what configuration NASCAR forces it to run with!
Old 01-06-2001, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the welcome Red.I worked with C-D dealerships. I don't do it anymore b/c of the hours and I am planning on going back to school for Motorsports Management so I can work with Dodge Motorsports. I hope they follow through with the RWD Hemi powered Intrepid as a production model, could you imagine the looks on the faces of those Rustang boys when they get spanked by a 4 door family car, lol. Take ya'll. Oh, btw, RED, myself and some buddies of mine are meeting at Darlington Dragway the 14th of this month to go drag racing, if you want to come along, we would love to have you. If you want to, you can just email me @ BADASSRT 5 9@aol.com for the info.
Old 01-09-2001, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

If you go to www.Car-Truck.com you'll find more on the RWD LH platform DC intends to introduce in 2003. The "Hemi" is to be 353 ci and also planned for Ram pick-ups.
Old 01-09-2001, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

Zeus, did you work with Emerald there in Taylorsville?
Old 01-09-2001, 02:38 PM
Inactive User

Ooopps, Zeus, I got a prior committment on the 14th. Thanks for he invite, though.
Old 01-09-2001, 07:28 PM
Inactive User

Saborn, yes I did for quite some time, well it wasn't actually Emerald, I got brought in right after they sold out to Chris Welborne, king of the Jack Asses. But I did work with several people from Emerald that stayed around to help through the change over. How did you know about this little hole in the wall area?
Old 01-09-2001, 07:30 PM
Inactive User

Red, oh well maybe next time. If things change though, feel free to let me know and I'll get you all the info you need to come along.

Old 01-09-2001, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

Across the street from the dealership in that little two story building is where the first Nascar Dodge Supertruck was built and maintained. Greer Lackey got into it before the Dodge Truck people even knew about the series. Funded it off his own hip for one year then got the Mopar sponsorship the next year, still had to supplement off his hip.
Old 01-10-2001, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

Sanborn, I am highly impressed, BRAVO. Not very many people know that, I admit I didn't know it was the same place until the new owner told me about it. It the back of the service department at the dealership there used to be a body shop and that is where they did all the paint work on the trucks once they were done. The paint booth is still there but hasn't been used since. The last thing painted in it was one of the NASCAR Trucks, well actually it was some ram air tubing for my R/T but don't tell anyone, lol. SHHHHHH!
Old 01-10-2001, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

I was there several times first when the trucks were red, later when they were black/white. That was my first source of later technology race engine parts.