Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Inactive User

Default Cyrogenics

Hi, I'm thinking of getting my motor and tranny Cyro'ed. Has anybody done this, if so, how did you find it?

It's $650 (Canada) to do a unassembled engine, which seems reasonable if it does what they say, 100 to 300% increase in parts life.

For those that don't know Cyrogenics is, over a period a 70 hours they slowly cool the parts to -310 F, keep them at that tempature for 24+ hours then slowly raise the tempature to +350 F. What it's supposed to do is increase the stability and hardness of the parts, thus reducing wear.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I know it's not an engine, but a read a couple articles where they did this to rifles barrels trying to make them more accurate. In the end, they really could not tell any differences in the rifles barrels and how the shots fell into groups. They pretty much ended the articles saying it's o.k. to do it, but probably not worth the money and doubt you'll notice a difference.

I don't know how it will effect a car engine, but it might not be worth the money. Guess you might want to do some more research on it.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Inactive User

We did some testing of cryoed parts when I was in charge of the tool shop at a rubber molding company, but didn't see any benefits. Other folks claim good results. It has been around for quite a while and not caught on very well, so the benefits may be confined to a few specific applications. Do any of the major race engine builders use it?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbododge View Post
Do any of the major race engine builders use it?

I've heard of some top NASCAR teams looking into it a couple years ago, but I don't think anything ever came of it.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Questions for those who have been involved in "testing":

What kind of tests were performed?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

The testing we did was on the "cores" that we used in thermoset rubber molds. These are made out of various grades of alloy steel from P20 (prehard) up to very specific, high hot strength, mold steels. They take a lot of abuse, as they are the removeable parts of the mold that make the shapes, usually internal, of the molded parts. The molds run at 360*+ fahrenheit and clamp down on the cores when the mold closes in a huge, hot, hydraulic press. They are very prone to coining, cracking, distorting, or fracturing, depending on the configuration.

We had mold repair history on our molds, so we knew how long cores would last, on average. We simply had some of the cores cryoed, per the vendor recommendations, and then compared the life to our history, and saw no real difference. If I remember correctly, we did it on at least 3 different materials.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

Laugh

I'd have to see proof before I'd spend that kind of money on something that "might help a little bit". But then again, it's not my money, so ya, just go ahead and do it and let us all know how it goes! Thanks in advance..............djs
Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbododge View Post
We had mold repair history on our molds, so we knew how long cores would last, on average. We simply had some of the cores cryoed, per the vendor recommendations, and then compared the life to our history, and saw no real difference. If I remember correctly, we did it on at least 3 different materials.
That's the kind of testing that is creditable, much more so than shot groups from a rifle barrel.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Inactive User

I'm sure the cryogenic treatment business is built on testimonial mumbo jumbo and little else. Save your money.

I work in a research lab closely with aerospace engineers and scientists from NASA, Air Force, OEMS (Pratt and Whitney, GE, etc...) There is a great wealth of knowledge, time and money spent on developing and testing materials, treatments and lubricants in the name of durability and safety for stuff that carries people into the air.

I can assure you that if cryo-babble was a viable method for increasing the "durability" (whatever that means) of a part It would be in service by now.

Regards,

Bill
Old 05-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Inactive User

Spend your money on quality parts with a quality machine shop. Balancing will ad more life to your engine than cryo'ing the parts.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:21 AM
Inactive User

Thanks guys, all good points. I think I'll pass on it.