Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Inactive User

Default Grinding gears

I have a 69 Roadrunner with a rebuilt 440 and original four speed. Since I put the engine a year and a half ago, I've been having problems with shifting.

Starting cold, the tranmission shifts fine. After driving a while (15 miles or so), it becomes noticeably difficult to shift into first (at a stoplight for example) and trying to shift into reverse simply grinds the gears.

The clutch is a Heavy Duty Ram clutch. I replaced the z-bar and pivot ball (or whatever it's called) when I replaced the engine.

What could be the problem?

Thanks!

Terry
Old 06-08-2007, 04:14 PM

You need to remove the dust cover from the bottom of the bellhousing and check the disc for freedom of movement once it's warmed up.

Have someone sit in the car and hold the pedal down while you check the disc clearance with a feeler gauge, .030" minimum. If there is sufficient clearance, push on the disc with a screwdriver (shifter in Neutral) to see if it turns freely; even with sufficient clearance, a dry pilot bearing can prevent the disc from turning freely.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgerHiss View Post
take out sinkornizers and make crashy box

will grind but who cares cuz it dont mean nothin
Wow!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Inactive User

Default Crash Box is for racing only.........

Knew a guy that put an L88/B&M w 4000 stall in a Camaro. He almost lost his license because it wouldn't shift without barking the tires.
If a lot is good ------- even more is better????????????????
Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel View Post
You need to remove the dust cover from the bottom of the bellhousing and check the disc for freedom of movement once it's warmed up.

Have someone sit in the car and hold the pedal down while you check the disc clearance with a feeler gauge, .030" minimum. If there is sufficient clearance, push on the disc with a screwdriver (shifter in Neutral) to see if it turns freely; even with sufficient clearance, a dry pilot bearing can prevent the disc from turning freely.
Thanks, John. Assuming that there is NOT sufficient clearance, what do I do about it? Also, when I put the pilot bushing in, I did not put any lube on it; should I have? Can I do anything short of pulling the tranny?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 06-12-2007, 04:11 PM

If there is insufficient disc clearance with the pedal floored you just need to find the problem, incorrect lever ratios would be a good place to start.

If the disc won't turn freely with the correct disc clearance, you will have to pull the trans and bell to find the source of the binding. If the problem isn't a dry pilot bushing it could be bellhousing misalignment.

If the bellhousing isn't original to the block was it dialed in? A misaligned bell will cause a binding side load on the input shaft pilot.