Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-31-2000, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

Question

I am interested in buying a high flow cat for my Dodge Ram. Random Technology sells I nice one for $180 that supposedly flows 510cfm. Anyone have experience with these or others? What kind of "real-world" performance gains can I expect? I was told approximately .15 reduction in my 1/4 time
Old 01-31-2000, 03:23 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Just cut them open with a die grinder, rip the guts out, and weld them back up like I did with my beater 5.0. OOOPS! I FORGOT, THATS BLATANTLY ILLEGAL! Nobody here works for the EPA? ...........do they?
Old 01-31-2000, 03:23 PM
Inactive User

I wish it was that simple. My computer cuts performance dramatically with no guts in my cat. I have no other options unless there is someway to make the computer "think" all is ok. Thanks Anyway!

Old 01-31-2000, 09:43 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Sublime who says you have to cut them open. Just cut the exhaust off one end and take and old torsion bar and drive it through the cat with a sledge that works good. Just start it up before reconnecting the exhaust.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383
Working on adding EFI
Old 02-01-2000, 02:26 AM

Someone send a cat converter to the EPA, telling them where they can stick it. Tell them how cat converters produce sulfuric acid and sulfur trioxide through their normal operation (that really bad smell), which contributes to acid rain. Thanks a lot EPA.
MAGNUMFORCE360 - If you didn't have to deal with your computer problem in the truck, you could do like I did on my '79 Aspen R/T - just eliminate them altogether. The car's emissions exempt, and even if it weren't, I'd still do it! I also know someone who 'cleared out' all the stuff from his converter, and put the empty shell back in place.
Old 02-01-2000, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

You guys are missing the point. The lack of catalytic converter sends error codes to the computer. the resulting error messages alter the air / fuel ratio substantially enough that performance goes out the window. In severe cases the truck barely runs. I may be able to help if you want to drop me a line.
Old 02-01-2000, 04:04 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Seriously, most catalytic converters are not that restrictive for a close to stock application. You might pick up 8-15 hp if your computer is not one of those OBD-II compliant setups that has a sensor downstream of the convertor. That is the only way the computer has of knowing whether or not the convertor is even there. The reduction in exhaust backpressure is what can cause the computer to freak out. Check with Walker (the people who make those cheap-but-decent turbo mufflers), and BBK (the late-model bolt on parts folks). There are great cats out there that won't cost you ANY power, but they might not be a big help until you add some real power, such as heads, nitrous, blower, etc. Good luck. By the way, my converterless '91 Muckstang also loves the 50/50 mix of avgas I sometimes feed it after defueling planes at work. Not a single problem of any kind. TAKE THAT, AL GORE!
Old 02-01-2000, 04:19 PM
Inactive User

Hey Guys! Thanks for all your comments. My cat finally let go today on the highway. The performance has been dropping like a rock. The converter plugged the exhaust solid. I punched a hole in the converter and limped it home. I just bought a Random Technology high-flow cat today ( $ 285....yikes!!!) I'll give you an update after it's installed in a few days. Thanks for all your input! BillyCLub--You hit it on the head! Thanks!

Old 02-06-2000, 02:02 PM
Inactive User

Wow! That is the best explanation of my new cat. Before my old cat plugged up I ran a best 0-60 of 6.83. Yesterday, after the new cat was installed, I ran 0-60 in 6.60 and the 1/4 in 14.7 with more wheelspin than I ever had. Then, this morning I ran 0-60 in 6.29 using my G-tech/pro. I didn't get the 1/4 mile time because I ran out of road.

Did I mention it sounds like an angry Grizzly Bear too? Yep, at idle it sounds normal, but once I put my foot into it, she takes on a new attitude. I highly recommend Random Technology cats!

Thanks for all your good advice guys!