Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Inactive User

Default is cracking a problem on MP heads?

i have been almost talked out of using the 308 heads. research of flow numbers is pushing me towards the magnum r/t 2.02 heads.

what im wanting to know is if these r/t heads are production line castings? many people complain that magnum factory heads are prone to cracking at the seats. were the factory r/t heads bad about that too?

if they are not production line castings (used on performance trucks available at dealerships), who is casting them? are they even cast by chrysler? does anyone have any knowledge of the quality/longevity of these castings?

there may be a set of complete, magnafluxed, cleaned, crack-free, and untouched 308 heads for sale soon....
Old 06-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
what im wanting to know is if these r/t heads are production line castings? many people complain that magnum factory heads are prone to cracking at the seats. were the factory r/t heads bad about that too?
Quote:
if they are not production line castings (used on performance trucks available at dealerships), who is casting them? are they even cast by chrysler? does anyone have any knowledge of the quality/longevity of these castings?
The R/T heads were never available as a production head they are made by Mopar Performance as a bolt on upgrade and don't seem to have an issue with cracking the way some of the early Magnum heads did. The R/T head is a hybrid of the Magnum head done by combining some of the W2 features with the production tooling. They have been used on the 360 crate motors for about 2 years now and are the reason that the horsepower numbers (and price) went up at the time.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Inactive User

Default Mine

Have yet to pass any gases, but the extra iron around the seats and bolt holes looks like they are winners. The port shape is way better, being a pure rectangle, without the corner protrusions found on production heads, and the runners are about as straight through as they can be, without the air injection "bumps" found on production stuff. Outta flow like crazy, and the cc# is 60.
Ron
Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

If I had a choice where to spend the money on heads, between the two, I'd do a Magnum head.

Ethier head will have cracks in it due to over heating and/or detonation. Time correctly and well.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

did the dakota/durango r/t trucks not come with r/t heads? i guess i incorrectly assumed.

my main concern is with the known reputation of magnums for cracking between the valve seats. if these were similar castings, i was concerned that with the larger 2.02 valves, it would leave less material between the seats and be even more prone to cracking.

do you guys are saying that it is an entirely different head than anything the factory used, even the 1.92 magnum r/t's?

and lastly, is chrysler actually casting these or are they done by an outside contractor?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Inactive User

Default Answers

1. Yes, totally different heads Part number 5007950. They have "Mopar and R/T" cast into the exhaust side of the head.
2. Don't know

The chambers are heart shaped, with 2.02X1.625 valves.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasydonkey View Post
did the dakota/durango r/t trucks not come with r/t heads? i guess i incorrectly assumed.

my main concern is with the known reputation of magnums for cracking between the valve seats. if these were similar castings, i was concerned that with the larger 2.02 valves, it would leave less material between the seats and be even more prone to cracking.

do you guys are saying that it is an entirely different head than anything the factory used, even the 1.92 magnum r/t's?

and lastly, is chrysler actually casting these or are they done by an outside contractor?
you might want to check these out too - with a bit of work they can be made to flow some pretty good numbers.
http://www.4secondsflat.com/FBo_EQ%2...er%20heads.htm
Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Inactive User

ive read about those, as well as the rumors of the 360 version in the works. No one has yet to give me any info on the quality/longevity of the castings, and until they do, i remain sceptical. they do look like a good part, but i would hate to put that much time and money into a casting to find out it cracks after a while, so until that is proven, im staying with either the 308s i have, or the r/t's i am thinking of getting.

any MP dealers out there that can tell me more info on the r/t's? i mainly want to know who casts them