Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

Default Big Block TTI dipstick interference

I've got the 1 7/8" BB TTI's on the 440, it's now in the '67 Belvedere. Has anyone done this install and had problems with the oil dipstick and tranny fill/dipstick tubes?

My motor came out of a motorhome, neither dipstick tube would fit. I've got a C-body tranny filler tube that might bend enough to clear the headers, but the Mancini oil dipstick tube (designed for Hedman and Hooker headers) ran through the space the #1 TTI header tube would occupy. They sold me a Milodon flex tube, but it doesn't fit either, on either bolt.

What works for these issues?

One nice thing about the 440 tubes over the SB tubes, there's a bunch more room to wire the starter up! With the 360 I had just a couple inches of room on either side of the wires. I wired the BB starter from above.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

Have you tried Lokar products? The part # for the tranny (727 right?)
is TD-3727FM. I thought they made them Mopar engines, but their catalog shows only the 5.7 Hemi. Maybe give them a call and see if they have anything coming for the old Mopars. Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Inactive User

Yep, got a Lokar tranny-mount filler/dipstick tube. There's a seam along the lower part of the firewall on my car that the tube rubs against. I'm going to call them and ask how long they think it might last, rubbing like that. Curious to see what they say. I didn't want a firewall mount, don't want to drill into it and it seems motor/tranny stuff should stay attached to the motor/tranny at both ends. They'll probably recommend that as an option, since it's probably all they have. The tranny mount version tilts barely above vertical, looks like a good way to spill fluid when you fill it up unless the filler seals better than it seems. I think this stuff is meant more for custom rods.

I was able to cobble up a bracket for the Milodon flex oil dipstick. Looks pretty hokey, but it should work. I called TTI. They said oil dipsticks should run outside of the headers and this is what that bracket does. Milodon dipsticks are apparently meant to mount between the exhaust and the head.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Inactive User

Could you possibly bring tranny tube up the top center of trans and make a bracket for it at the back of the engine?
You might have to shorten tube & stick somehow. Just thinking out loud. ouch.........