Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Inactive User

Default Cam question for 318 Magnum engine

How many factory cams were installed in this engine ? ie. Is the R/T cam bigger than the base cam ??

Where can I find specs. ?

How big a cam can be put in this engine without valves crashing into pistons ??

Engine is going in 1970 Challenger

Thanks,

Don
Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Inactive User

Hey, I did this swap into a '85 Dodge Ramcharger. I swapped in a '97 Magnum 360 out of a wrecked van. All accessories. I wish I could have scored the transmission to, but it bolted up to the 727 just fine.
The 904 should be fine. Get a B&M Magnum flex plate since the stock tone ring flexplate won't work. Use the old block type motor mounts that will fit your Challenger. You will need a 3 core radiator for a this v8. I don't see any clearance issues as long as your accessories are not in the way.
Let me tell you, I don't know why more people are not keen on this swap. The Magnum engines make more power, they run smooth as silk, they get BETTER gas mileage. The serpentine belt drive is just about trouble free. I swapped in a MoPar M1 intake and a Eddie 1406 performer carb. A Magnum engine HAS NO PROVISION for a heat riser. But, I kid you not, this thing started and ran flawlessly with an electric choke carb. I kept the stock magnum exhaust manifolds. they flow very well for cast iron manifolds, and they are quite. When a Magnum 5.2L (318) I don't see any bolt up issues accept maybe the oil pan. I'm sure there is an aftermarket solution here. If not. Notching an bracing the K-member is a common fix for oil pan clearance issues. Find a engine out of a Grand Cherokee. The accessories are very compact. The ones out of truck take up a lot more room. I had notch the frame rail to make mine fit.
Swapping in a late model magnum is a win-win. I plan to do the same when I pull the tired 318 out of my '72 Satellite. BUT, I will go with a M1 EFI intake and do a aftermarket EFI controller to use fuel injection. Hmmm, turbocharger anyone?