Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Inactive User

Default Remote solenoid on a mini starter?

I'm working on putting a 318 in a '31 Dodge PU, only obstacle I have is I can't center the engine in the chassis due to the steering box...sure looks like if I had a mini starter-similar to the ones I;ve seen on GM engines-I'd gain the clearance I needed...only concern I'd then have is if the solenoid would interfer.

Is there any reason anyone see's that I couldn't run a Ford remote solenoid on a Mopar styled mini-starter if needed?

Also, is there any "factory" mini starters for the LA series engines that are less expensive than aftermarket ones?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

You still need to have the solenoid on the starter with the ford crap, but you just hook the wire up full power all the time, the ford crap is the part that is relaying the message.
The 90's all had mini starters on, and they are quite small. They are not like the chev style where the solenoid hangs out ten feet, they are actually compact. Must be a pretty tight engine area if that is a concern.
I feel the ford remote solenoid is just another problem waiting to happen, never seen a reason to run one.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Inactive User

There's lot's of room if it wern't for the steering box

Where I was planning my exhaust was going to be pretty close to starter (regular style) I was just going to plan ahead and eliminate a hot start issue ahead of time.

I'll have to see if I can scrounge a factory mini and place it in there to see if it buys me what I need.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Inactive User

If push comes to shove, there is someone out there that makes a "clockable" mini-starter that enables the user to put the solenoid out of the way of whatever. Wish I had a better memory, but you might google "clockable starter".
Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

Try Mancini Racing, they should have a clock-able mini.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

I checked the adjustable mini's, they sure are proud of them

I think I figured it out though, decided to drop the steering box below the frame rail, the draglink is about 25 inches long with a big "S" kinda bend in it, and still gives plenty of clearance.

I'm such a tightwad, building a HotRod on the cheap with leftover parts from the ones I payed to much to put together.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Inactive User

Thats good to hear, I do the same thing, except all of my cars are beaters, and I always seem to have just enough spare parts to think I need another project, oh the insanity.
I havent really had any issues with a close exhaust hot start issue, I have one that the header tube is tight to the starter, never ever let me down.
But then again I might be lucky, but I think the mini starters are that well built.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Inactive User

Default Check this site

440 source had minis that looked good at Mopars At The Strip this year. They were getting $79.00 for them!!
Ron