Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Default magnaflow or flowmasters?

Just got the engine in my Duster and it is a built 360 with 400 hp and 410 lb of torque. I'm putting the exhaust on this weekend. Do you recommend 40 seris flowmasters or magnaflows? Where on the rear frame rail do you install the hangers for the chrome tips? Bolt on or weld on? Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 PM

I prefer the sound of the Dynomax Turbo II. Flowmasters give a tinny import sound.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Flowmasters to get the most from your combo. Brackets bolt to the frame rails for the hangers to slide into for the factory tips. Mufflers, weld on, brackets bolt on so you can adjust them. Easier to get the tips level and the whole system.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43 View Post
Flowmasters to get the most from your combo. Brackets bolt to the frame rails for the hangers to slide into for the factory tips. Mufflers, weld on, brackets bolt on so you can adjust them. Easier to get the tips level and the whole system.
Flowmasters simply don't flow, my vote is for magnaflows, they sound nice, next, would be aerochambers, and they are next because they werent on your list.
And E is right, flowmasters sound like you have a culvert for a muffler.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
Flowmasters simply don't flow, my vote is for magnaflows, they sound nice, next, would be aerochambers, and they are next because they werent on your list.
And E is right, flowmasters sound like you have a culvert for a muffler.
Thats exactly what I was going to say
Old 07-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Inactive User

I used to have 40 series Flowmasters on my 68 Charger. The thing I've noticed most since I bought those, is that practically everybody and their dog use them and they all pretty much sound the same on everything, which is great if you like the sound, not so great if you want to sound different than the next guy. I've been wondering about the Dynomax UltraFlo- straight through flow design?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I don't really care much how they sound. It only matters how they perform, that's why I use the Flowmasters. It don't really matter to me if you laugh at the way my car sounds after I win the race. lol.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
I prefer the sound of the Dynomax Turbo II. Flowmasters give a tinny import sound.
Another vote for Dynomax. They sound great on my 408 Duster.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I don't really care much how they sound. It only matters how they perform, that's why I use the Flowmasters. It don't really matter to me if you laugh at the way my car sounds after I win the race. lol.
LOL...
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
LOL...
Ditto.............
Old 07-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Inactive User

I have the dynomax UltraFlo's on my 408 duster and love the way they sound.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:17 AM
Banned

Quote:

You know, not to defend flowmaster sound, or performance, but I do have one thing to say in DW's defense.

Horsepower always sounds good, gas, diesel, or propane, it's the shitty running ones, that sound like shit!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin Geez

Sure a lot of hate and discontent about a silly muffler choice! Have any of you heard the new Flowmaster 44 on a well built engine? Me thinks maybe Flowmaster got tired of hearing how bad they sound, and made a good sounding muffler!
Ron
Old 07-22-2007, 11:45 AM

Say what you want, but I will still take the Dynomax Turbo or Turbo II over the Flowmaster , any day. Heck I would even take a Cherrybomb Turbo over a Flowmaster.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Inactive User

I had a welded 3" Dynomax Ultraflow on my '85 Lebaron Turbo, I loved the sound under throttle but was very deap and LOUD!! One of my friends is deaf and he actually felt the car come up the hill I live on one night I've been looking at the Flowmaster 50 SUV's for the Jeep because I'd like a little more sound and flow over stock, but don't want to announce my arrival to everyone in a 5 mile radius.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Inactive User

I have nothing against Flowmaster, just based on my experience I love Purple Hornie header mufflers... but be prepared for an hourly noise ticket from the local authorities.

For something a bit more noise ordinance friendly, I prefer Thrush Hush's. they sound great without sounding generic. Though I couldn't dyno the car either way, I felt like I got a little more go-fast out of the dart with them than the Flowmasters.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Inactive User

As an aside, on my turco C-van I had the exhaust system replaced with a catless 2.5" with a strsight thru glasspack of unknown brand and a flowmaster knockoff and it sounds great. Deep sound at idle that is not loud, nor snappy. My local muffler hack tried out dozens of combos for his ricer, to make it sound good and muted. this was it. I am very pleased. It is loud enough to hear, but in a kind of euro sound like an old Ferrari 308 sound. I was tickled. My wife can hear it in the house at idle, but not annoyingly so. Romp on it and it rises in pitch but not much in decibel. He explained the glasspack absorbs much of the deep while the chamber cancels the tinny. :-)PCRMike
Old 07-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

i was told that Flowmaster lost their copyright to the duel weld whatever and they are just over priced flowsounds. id suggest getting the dynomax or the flowsounds.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Inactive User

Dynomax on my 3 vehicles.
340 Duster
440 Ramcharger
'76 FJ40
Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Inactive User

Yo 440, your right with that, i had Dynomax on my 4.7 and it sounded good. but i later upgraded to the Gibson Racing exhaust.

but on my 360 i put duel FLowsounds and made the entire garages rumble when I started the truck,lol. i love the deep throaty sound of duels 3 inch exhaust.

EDITED after i saw MR Chemists post, my truck would also set off car alarms int he parking lot of my barracks,lol.

my dad had flowmaster on his 360. sounds ok.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Inactive User

Lil Bee, you are going to love what my dually is running then. I have the parts together now, so it is going tothe muffler shop.

Headers, no cats, 3", flowsounds, and run to 4 foot tall, 4" driveshaft tubing stacks in the flatbed. Mocked it up at the house, and OMG it was deep. Loud too. :-)PCRMike
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Inactive User

Quote:

I have to disagree. My 360 has 3 inch flowmasters behind itÂ…and it DEFINITELY doesnÂ’t sound tiny. If I had to describe it in words it would be more like; loud, nasty, shaking the whole house when I start it, setting off car alarms in a 50 foot radiusÂ….I love the flowmasters on my car. IÂ’ll have to see if I can get some video of my car at idleÂ….itÂ’s just sick.

I feel kind of funny siding with dw on thisÂ…no offence dw, you and I just see things differently most of th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car0009-1.JPG (73.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Inactive User

I go to a cruise every Friday night that typically has 400-600 cars in attendance and I would guess 50% or more have Flowmasters. The one thing I can say unequivocally, I have never heard a Flowmaster muffled v8 sound like an import.

A lot of engines with the 40 series muffler will have a hollow sound but it seems those are vehicles with dumps right after the muffler. For me the 40 series or any of the straight thru muflers (Ultra Flo, Magna Flo, etc) with a case of around 14" are just plane to loud for the amount of driving I do.

I have used Dynomax Turbo's on a lot of vehicles and they just don't last. They may be 1/2 the cost of a Flowmaster or Magna Flo but they only last 1/2 as long so no advantage there. Plus, on a healthy v8 they are on the edge of being to loud and they get louder as the packing burns out.

I have heard the Dynomax Hemi Turbo (same design as the regular turbo but around 22" long) muffler on a lot of healthy small and big blocks v8 and this is a very good sounding muffler and is not to loud but still has the rust out problem.

When i re did the exhaust on my Barracuda i hemmed and hawed between a large case Magna Flo and the 3 chamber 50 series delta flo Flowmaster (my daughters muffler shop stocked both) and decided to go with the Flowmasters because I had never had a car with chambered mufflers before.

It is pretty much the perfect choice for me. I get the nice deep rumble at idle but it's not so loud that it makes people jump when you start the car. At cruising speeds there is little to no interior resonance and the volume is low enough to not be tiring, plus you can carry on a conversation. Also, i can drive past the law without them even noticing. At WOT I get that, "I mean business" v8 roar.

I also have an x-pipe infront of the mufflers and I used 2.5" pipe. It is dramatic how much either an H or X cross over will change the volume and character of your exhaust sound.

Some one mentioned that Flowmaster mufflers don't flow. That's an interesting statement. The comparisons I have seen always put them in the top 1/3 of the mufflers tested. But in any case the absoult flow capacity of a perfromance muffler is of little consequences any way since they all can flow more than the engine needs if the proper size is selected.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

Hey dgc333, Exactly my problem now, mufflers. I have a 69 Charger, .060 over 440, 440 HP manifolds, 4-speed, mild cam, 3.23 gear, 28" tires, complete 2 1/2" TTI x-pipe system with Dynomax Hemi mufflers(20" case) about 1 year old.
Sitting at stop sign and got rear-ended. Rear end damage to car and pushed forward,smashed the exhaust system down, total loss on exhaust. When looking at damage I noticed some rust around the outlet part of muffler!
Was thinking about the Flowmaster 50 SUV or even quieter 70 series big block mufflers.
What size engine do you have? Did you run tailpipes? What rpms do turn at 55 & 70 MPH? Headers or manifolds?
I don't want the droning inside at all and was looking for somebody who had used the 50s or 70s Flowmasters. Any and all info would greatly be appreciated!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

I have a 360 with headers. I also have an A833OD and 3.55 gears so at 70 mph I am turning around 2200 rpm and less than 2000 at 55. I have tail pipes exiting under the rear bumper. Currently have straight tips but I did try turn downs and it does make a difference. I used to have a \6 with 6 into 2 headers with 2.25" pipe dual exhaust with 18" glass paks. When i swapped in the 360 I hooked this system to the 360's headers and the noise was over bearing and i ran the turn down tips until I got the new exhaust.

I also have a Dakota pickup with a 3" cat back system that included the 50 series SUV muffler. It's quite a bit thicker than the 50 series but is the same length. The Dakota is a 3.9 v6 with manifolds and a CAT. At idle and cruise it's for all practical purposes the same as stock. It does speak up at WOT and actually sounds quite good.

For your 440 I would go for the 70 series if you are looking to keep the interior resonance under control and maybe put some small glass paks at the ends to act as resonators.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Inactive User

my dad is buying/trading for a 440+6 that is already camed and ported/polished, pushin 685hp on dyno.

we all had 3 series motors. my lil bro has a duster with a 318 with the timing retarded and pushing 330hp at normal. i got a Super Charged 360 with 470WHP and at high boost around 700hp not whp.lol. my dad has a 69 RR with a N/A built up 360 with 525 on dyno.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Inactive User

Thanks dgc333 for the info. No OD so 2500 at 55 and 3000 at 70. Went through 3 sets of mufflers first time fitting exhaust, finally settled on Dynomax to get rid of 95% of drone. The 70 Big Block is too long, won't fit in muffler dent in floor. I guess I'll think on this some more. Wish somebody would make the magic muffler.....you know, never rust out, quiet or loud with remote control, flows like Nascar tuned system and all tucked up where nobody can see it. Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Inactive User

Quote:

I love mine too.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

One thing I've read in favor of Flowmaster, on off road vehicles they have been strong enough for Cherokee owners to jack up their rigs by the Flowmaster (usually 40 series btw) and in JP magazine (All Jeeps, All The Time, but too many Chevy swaps......) they put a new exhaust system on a CJ that had been using a set of Flowmaster 40 series that were squashed nearly flat but still allowed for airflow! As for the rusting Dynomax's, that's one thing that concerns me living in Illinois where the salt early and often during the winter. Dad had one of Walker's stock replace mufflers on his XJ that plugged up and got so hot it burned a hole through itself in a matter of months (although that little 4.0l did sound a little like a warbird that way ) then proceded to rot away in less time that the Maremonts he used to use (no longer available around here, so he stuck another restrictive one on it.) I'd go for a Flowmaster 70, but I want to keep the stock 2.25" pipe diameter and the 70's aren't available smaller that 2.5".
Old 07-28-2007, 01:01 AM
Inactive User

who's running aerochambers? do you like 'em? Or edelbrock rpm's w/ sdt? I also want to try something new, have thrush turbo's right now and they are L-O-U-D, and I gotta get a new setup soon, once my headers get here.