Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

Red face Wideband air/fuel ratio meter

I am going to buy a wideband air/fuel meter for my '68 Road Runner. I see there are several brands on the market, 2 of the biggest offerings seem to be from AEM and Innovate.

Has anyone used an air/fuel meter on their vintage Mopar with worthwile results?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

An old Edelbrock A/F meter I had once was fine for it's time and cost. The newer units like you described can only be better.
I had very nice resulots with the Edelbrock but would not go back to it due to whats out there now.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Inactive User

http://www.fordmuscle.com/TechDepartment/engine.php

They have a shoot out of the wide band systmes, comparo of cost etc. You may need to sign up, but lots of great reading, hope this helps
Old 08-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Inactive User

Red face

I did read about the Edelbrock meter, but that is a narrow band unit and like you said, not nearly as good as the new wideband units, so I put that one out of my interest.

Thanks for the link on the wideband comare... however, I really don't want to subscribe for a year of Ford magazine stuff for a year just to read the article.... Kind of makes me mad they could not put the whole thing out for us all the read, oh well.

So, my question still stands... Does anyone have personal experience with using a wideband air/fuel meter on their vintage Mopar?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Inactive User

Well, I just tried the link again and it tells me I have to subscribe in order to read it all... (the final results and page 2).

Since I can't read it for some reason, can you "copy and paste it" and then send it to my in an e-mail?

Thanks!
David
senordeleon@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
Follow the link before you complain. I was able to read that article and the one for the FAST setup with no problems.
How did you read the second page E?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I bought the Innovate wide band meter and the rpm module to go with it. It is a great tool for tuning your carburetor tho rather expensive. I have not had experience with the others so cant comment on them. I bought the Innovate unit because you can log a test session and later download it to your home pc or laptop to analyze the test using the supplied software to graph your performance or to replay the test for comparison. You can also monitor the a/f ratios in real time on the unit itself while testing, tho I prefer to keep my eyes on the road, LOL. I am happy with the performance of the Innovate Motorsports AF meter, it has been a useful tool for tuning. On some laptops, when you install the software and connect to the meter using usb, remember which usb port you used as you possibly will have connectivity issues the next time if you dont use the same usb port. For the rpm module, when using an MSD box, you will need to rig up a small potentiometer between the rpm module and the meter. There are directions at the Innovate website and the potentiometer is available at the local Radio Shack for only a couple of bucks. All in all, I can say I'm satisfied with the purchase, but I think they oughta have included a potentiometer with the kit as so many people using it will need it.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

Another thing, but you will probably have already done so is to have the O2 sensor bungs welded to your headers at the collectors. You can only test one bank of the motor at a time, so in reality, you should run one test and log it, then switch to the other header, and run another test, as close to the same as the first as you can for comparison before making any changes. That way, you can see if there is any distribution probs from one side to the other. Now if only I could see each individual cylinder, like the big boys, I would be all set!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Inactive User

Wow.. Sounds like the Innovate is a nice guage.

I just looked at the FAST brand air/fuel gauge and that looks very nice. It is described as having a memory feature so that you can record the readings and play them back on the handheld unit with no laptop needed. That is cool.

Anyone have experience with the FAST brand unit?

Thanks!