Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Inactive User

Default Comp Cam Lifters

I have an issue with some new CompCam hydraulic lifters. I have copy/pasted my letter to Comp. Looking for your opinions.

Hi,
I recently purchased a set of your High Energy hydraulic lifters for a Chrysler 440, pn 822-16. I read the instructions which state to clean the lifters in solvent before installing. As I prepared to do this I noticed the lifters did not have any spring, as if they were "pumped up". I thought this was odd since the lifters were obviously new. I called your tech line and was not too impressed with the response I received. Your tech advised that the lifters were packaged in an environment that was "dirty" and maybe something was in the lifter causing the problem. It did not seem logical that all 16 lifters were so dirty that the plungers would not depress at all. Again, he also suggested solvent to clean the lifters. I soaked an individual lifter in solvent for a couple hours. It did nothing to free the plunger. I decided to disassemble the lifter and discovered that it was filled with a very clear light fluid. Obviously, this was the problem, all the lifters were pumped-up with this fluid. I drained this fluid and lightly oiled all the internal parts of the lifter and reassembled it. The plunger in the lifter now moves freely and operates similar to other new hydraulic lifters I have experienced. I repeated this for all 16 lifters. Over an hour of my time and labor. I researched your website tech pages and learned that you advise against pre-priming your hydraulic lifters. I hope you can answer a few questions.

Why does a reputable company such as yours package your product in an environment, that according to your own employee, is "dirty"?

Isn't this a serious quality control issue?

Where are these lifters manufactured and packaged?

What was the fluid in the lifter? Is it supposed to be there?

Have I corrected the problem?

Can I expect the lifters to perform?

I anxiously await your response.

Sincerely,
Old 08-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Good letter. I think you could have bettered them up a bit more, ...He he he. I also await this response.
I'm not a %100 on this, but I don't think comp makes there lifters.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Wow... I would hate to believe that they were packaged in a dirty environment. I also don't understand why they would be pumped up with a clear fluid. I'm guessing that it was machine oil and the process is putting too much in the assembly.

Let us know what they say.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

Still no response from Comp
Old 08-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Shame, however, they could be doing research into the problem. Wishfull thinking? Maybe.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes2fast View Post

I'd really like to hear the response to this!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Still no response from Comp
Don't hold your breath!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Inactive User

John, if you would give me a call @ 1-800-365-9145 xt. 724

Thanks, Hadley O. @ Comp Cams

I can't call until tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Inactive User

Arrow Comp Cams Lifter Vendor!

Dukes2fast- Did you ever hear back from Comp Cams? It’s kind of interesting. I have been doing some research into lifter vendors and discovered just today that Specialty Engine Components L.L.C., provides lifters for Comp Cams. Take a look at my post on “Flat Tappet Lifter Suppliers
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I have an issue with some new CompCam hydraulic lifters. I have copy/pasted my letter to Comp. Looking for your opinions.

Hi,
I recently purchased a set of your High Energy hydraulic lifters for a Chrysler 440, pn 822-16. I read the instructions which state to clean the lifters in solvent before installing. As I prepared to do this I noticed the lifters did not have any spring, as if they were "pumped up". I thought this was odd since the lifters were obviously new. I called your tech line and was not too impressed with the response I received. Your tech advised that the lifters were packaged in an environment that was "dirty" and maybe something was in the lifter causing the problem. It did not seem logical that all 16 lifters were so dirty that the plungers would not depress at all. Again, he also suggested solvent to clean the lifters. I soaked an individual lifter in solvent for a couple hours. It did nothing to free the plunger. I decided to disassemble the lifter and discovered that it was filled with a very clear light fluid. Obviously, this was the problem, all the lifters were pumped-up with this fluid. I drained this fluid and lightly oiled all the internal parts of the lifter and reassembled it. The plunger in the lifter now moves freely and operates similar to other new hydraulic lifters I have experienced. I repeated this for all 16 lifters. Over an hour of my time and labor. I researched your website tech pages and learned that you advise against pre-priming your hydraulic lifters. I hope you can answer a few questions.

Why does a reputable company such as yours package your product in an environment, that according to your own employee, is "dirty"?

Isn't this a serious quality control issue?

What was the fluid in the lifter? Is it supposed to be there?

Have I corrected the problem?

Can I expect the lifters to perform?

I anxiously await your response.

Sincerely,

I think you totally wasted your time by cleaning the "packing lube" out of the lifter. Its in there so you wouldnt have to hear a new lifter clatter during pump up on a motor. That is an educated guess, but it makes sense to me when you stated that they didnt want you to "pre-prime" their "primed" lifters. Let us know what they say though. Packaged in a dirty environment is probably just dropping them in a cardboard box on a conveyor system, not exactly a clean room, but theres not sand blowing in there either.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Inactive User

Maybe a waste of time but I feel better.
I did finally get to speak to someone at CompCams. He wouldn't say specifically who made the lifters but I didn't push it too much either. He did say the fluid was just that, machine oil basically to prevent corrosion. He said they used to use a type of cosmoline, which was a mess. This is supposed to be an improvement over that. Like "E" said, he thought they probably were just using a little too much the day they went through the assembly line. As far as to prime or not he said they don't recommend it but it really doesn't matter that much. I will start the car tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Inactive User

I can't believe someone would state their product was packaged in dirty environment.