Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Inactive User

Default 3rd. Member ???

I am about to put a 3rd member in the car so I can move it around. I have two 742 3rd members with suregrip I have two sets of Axle Buttons, {That's what I call them anyways} ??? I noticed that both sets are different. One set got chewed up some how when I pulled the member out so they will be replaced sometime. The set that I am going to use are odd. Check the crappy picture. One has a small roll pin sticking out the small end the other does not. The one that does not, has a tiny bit sticking out the big end. Dont know if it got sheared off or what I don't see the purpose of this roll pin. Do I need to fix this and which way is right I assume the small end goes into wards the center and the wide end butts up to the axle. I Guess you can tell that I am Not a Mechanic by Trade
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axle Buttons.JPG (7.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Inactive User

I only have one clutch type sure grip. Thats the only one that has those buttons. Mine has a little bit of the roll pin sticking out. I put some RTV on the end when I put them in on the bench. Just to make sure it does not fall apart.

Only way to eliminate them is to use the Green bearings, there will be no end play adjustment after that.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Wink

You can eliminate all of the thrust buttons by getting a set of "Green" axel bearings for your axels. The are available from a number of suppliers, I got mine from Strange engineering.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:47 PM

The half of the buttons with no visible roll pin will likely have the other part of the broken roll pin. The original intent of the roll pin is to hold the two halves together but once the axles are installed it's not uncommon to find the roll pin broken. Even with the broken pin the buttons remain captive in the center as long as the axles are there.

You can either punch the halves of the roll pin from the buttons and replace with new or just stick them together as suggested with RTV. Newer versions of the buttons replace the brittle roll pin with a solid rivet.

The factory Timken axle bearings are far superior to the Greens, I wouldn't change to the Greens unless some other circumstance dictated it.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Everyone, Especially John Kunkel !!! John has a way of explaining things so Clearly That even a Dumb Ass like me Gets It. Thanks Again !!!
Old 08-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Inactive User

I have just installed new timken bearings. I know alot of people use the green baerings, But All the Really Experts say they are for drag racing. Just like the Factory say's. I think alot of people get taken in by people that are Selling "Green Bearings" I have No Doubt that Green Bearing are Great for there intended purpose. But as far as I have heard they don't provide enough load bearing for side loads.