Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

cry2 someone please help me

I bought a 340 and did a total swap in my slant six duster new 8 3/4 rear 727 tranny and all the real clone stuff ata ny rate i hooked up a single coil electronic distributor and also a new hp coil, i followed the instructions to the letter in setting the distributor and coil up with the ecu and when i cranked the ingnition switch to start i fried a wire that runs from the fire wall plug to the alternator any ideas what i did wrong ? I really need help school starts in 1 week and im a broke student. that cant afford a mechanic so if anyone can help me and knows what i may have to do or what i can do to fix this please let me know thank you btw my name is ken i live in south florida.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:43 AM

What year vehicle and is it the original charging circuit for that year? Initial indication is that you managed to ground a wire.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 AM
Inactive User

Default year make and model

Hi Eholster and thank you for a quick reply . it is a 1971 plymouth duster I do not know what you mean by "is it the original charging circut" i would guess it is the original charging circut as i used all the old wires and added the ones the instructions for the distributor called for.. i havent changed any of the disconnects in the fire wall or anything else ... I just added the ecu and a new coil. any more help would be great. I hope i can locate this ground that may have caused the problem .. the wire that fried is a short wire that comes out of the master disconnect and has a splice into the wire that runs from the alternator to the fire wall plug and it also splices to the ballast resistor on the blue side of the ballast resistor . the wire that fried is blue with a white tracer and is in the middle master disconnect toward the bottom thank you, ken
Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

The bulkhead connectors get old and crusty. Running a wire from your alternator output to the 12 volt terminal on your starter relay can help bypass some of the electric load on the connectors. But it sounds like you are in a hurry, so I would go back and recheck that all your wires are hooked up properly.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:50 AM

There is no 'master disconnect' on a factory setup. There is a bulkhead connector.

From what you have described, you need to go back and recheck the way you wired in the ECU. It sounds like you placed a ground on the ballast resistor or somehow managed to short a wire to ground. That will cause that wire to melt.