Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

Default power steering plumbing problems

i bolted on the rebuilt/restored diplomat power steering pump today. went to plumb it in, and the 84 diplomat hose hits the k-frame. im running a diplomat cop car box, and diplomat pump. i know other guys have done this, but i have no idea what hoses they used. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by the way, this is in an a-body with the biscuit type motor mounts, motor in the stock location.

Michael
Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

have a custom hose made.most farm and auto type places can do this pretty easy.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Take a tubing bender and bend yours till it wont hit the K frame. Lot cheaper than a new hose and takes seconds to do.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

A shorter belt won't do it?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Inactive User

heres a picture of what im working with. a shorter belt may work, but it would cock the pump at a really funky angle. would that screw up the pumps working properly?

the line attaches at the green plug.

Michael
Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Banned

Biggrin

OOoohhh. Now that's nasty, close. How about getting a simple 90* fitting and screw that into the pump and bend the line to it's straight and goes into the 90* fitting. Never seen one that close before. Did you just throw some parts together to mount it?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Inactive User

I would sawzall the mount a bit, wouldnt be that hard to do, looks like it would be easy to do, and shouldnt hurt the motor mount at all, as it really isnt boxed in there anyways.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Inactive User

i dont know if y'all can tell from the picture since everything is black, but theres about an inch of clearance between the plug and k-frame.

well DWC, im using a reman pump, and factory brackets off an 84 diplomat. i also have never seen one that close, but had heard of guys doing something similar to this with no problems. so i figured id try. i also like the 90 degree fitting idea, but have no idea where to go to get one.

and cageman, normally i would have no complaints about cutting, but not this time, not this car.

please keep up the help.
Michael
Old 08-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterbd View Post
i also like the 90 degree fitting idea, but have no idea where to go to get one.
please keep up the help.
Michael
Take hte pump to any local hardware store or race shop. They should have a nice brass fitting that will work. Heck, if you know the thread size check www.summitracing.com or www.speedwaymotors.com or www.stockcarproducts.com . I know the last two carry a lot of fittings.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

The pump need not be straight up and down to function properly. But the more it is, the more fluid can be put in which would be good for temp. and avoiding low levels of fluid for any reason.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

any idea what max off kilter would be rumble? im really digging the idea of a shorter/longer belt and stock hose. that keeps with the theme of the project.

Michael
Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Max? No. Less the better. Find a good fella/auto store and ask for a 1/2 shorter belt to test fit.
DW has a good idea on the screw in part in the back...90* angle.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I don't think I'd tilt it more than 30* or so. It does not hold a lot of fluid to begin with and you don't want it over heated due to low fluid. But with a 90* fitting in the rear you can pretty much sit it upright with the correct belts and it wont be very visible, but with the short belt, it will be hard to miss it leaning the moment you open the hood.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Inactive User

ok, lets talk about hoses and fittings for a minute.
this pump and box were designed to use the o-ring style hose ends. i thing the earlier stuff was a double flare, right? if so, can i use a 90 degree fitting with a double flare on the o-ring? or, in that case, can i cut the end and two inches from the current hose, double flare it, and make that work? or do i have to keep it the o-ring style?
my father also made the suggestion of using the black push-loc stuff, but i dont think it will hold up to power steering pressure.
so, please, educate me on power steering fittings and swappability.
Michael
Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Inactive User

oh, and i mocked uip the shorther belt/longer belt idea. there isnt enough adjustment before the line hits the k-frame to get a belt tight. sp were looking at custom lines, different lines, or rge 90.

Micahel
Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I don't like the push loc stuff either and refuse to use it. Got a hold of a race car that had it front to back for fuel line and pulled every bit of it out. First off most rules wont allow more than a foot of hose just for safety.

I think you could get away with a 90* fitting with a washer to mount it flush to the pump. You should be able to get the fitting with a double flare in it. You can get any good parts store to make you a new hose with any end on it. You could just get a 90* fitting in pipe thread and have them put a pipe thread end on your hose or a new hose. They should be able to make up something that will work for you.

Our NAPA store makes up all sorts of lines. I've seen farmers with some huge dia. hydro lines off of agg. equip. in there getting lines spliced, new ends installed and just new hoses made up. If they can do stuff like that, your PS hose should be an easy fix too.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

so what youre saying is to sue a copper crush washer with a 90 degree inverted flare pipe thread fitting in the back of the pump to replace the o-ring setup, and this will seal it properly, correct? if so, then i can use the inverted flare end on the presure hose, and retain the o-ring on the other end.
why, if i can find one, could i not use an inverted flare hose straight from the back of the pump and bypass the 90?

by the way, i have my commercial parts man getting me every saginaw pump based power steering hose that he has access to, and im going to try almost all of them before going with the 90 fitting and custom hose, just for ease of repair later on if it works.

thanks for all the help so far. please keep it up.
Michael
Old 08-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterbd View Post
so what youre saying is to sue a copper crush washer with a 90 degree inverted flare pipe thread fitting in the back of the pump to replace the o-ring setup, and this will seal it properly, correct? if so, then i can use the inverted flare end on the presure hose, and retain the o-ring on the other end.
why, if i can find one, could i not use an inverted flare hose straight from the back of the pump and bypass the 90?

thanks for all the help so far. please keep it up.
Michael
I don't see why that wont work either. Main thing is that I am looking a pic and can't really tell how much room you have, I just know it looks damned close to me. I mean if you have the room you could get a hose shop to bend one to use the o ring set up you have now if there's room to put a bent tube in there.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Inactive User

after spending a week fighting with this setup, i broke down and orderd a pump for a 70 duster. we'll see what it looks like when it comes. i was on a good track till i figured out the fitting in the pump was metric. i'll let you know how all this turns out.

Michael