Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

Default Victor vs Indy EZ heads

What little research I have done has told me that the Victor head is a slightly better head. Only reasons being is the off set rocker opening up the intake runner.

On that same note, having to purchase a new set of rockers kinda sucks considering what ive paid for the ones I allready have. My budget leads me to asking this question So here goes....

Does anyone have enough research into both of these brands to form a good opinion on the ups and downs from one head to the other. Currently I am fairly convinced that I will be purchasing the Indys do to over all cost and ease of installation.

Granted if the Victors are that much better out of the box I may just wait it out a little and purchase all the things necassary for the combo.

All opinions are much appreciated, ty in advance
Old 08-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

you only have to buy the intake rockers. We are running the performer heads right now but are going to switch to the victors this winter. After seeing what the victors due out of the box we think after evrybody gets a chance to work with them (cnc and such) i think they will be far better than the indy at much less cost but thats just my 2 cents
Old 08-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Jeff @ MCH gets 340cfm @.700 out of his cnc'd RPMs for about $2400 complete.He has gotten 370 so far on the Victors.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Inactive User

Better do some more research before buying the Victors, they have some problems that Edelbrock didnt adress before releasing this head. From the few people who has bought them, they sent them back for a refund. The rocker offset is a concern also the push rod clearance is horriable, I guess you can forget running them on a Low deck motor. The few people who made them work on RB;s had to do so much grinding they can NOT be opened up to max wedge window. They also seem to have a odd spring installed height (way short) And also the cumbustion chamber design sucks. The head and ports flow good, but what savings are to be reeped if one has to go with custom Rocker arms....I know some companys claim to have or sell the correct offset rockers.....the guy I know did and they wont work.........
Go with the Indy EZ heads, they are proven, I suggest picking them up through a Distributor that does the finish work on them.......Indy's QC and customer Service.....is lacking to say the least......
Old 08-31-2007, 04:27 PM

You didn't specify if you are talking a B/RB or LA engine. As you mentioned the Indy EZ head, I guess that you are talking B/RB.

The Indy EZ head is better compared to the Edelbrock RPM. The Victor needs a lot of engine, to make them perform well.

As some have pointed out, in the past, they are each great for their own purpose. The EB RPM is good for a basic to mild rebuild. It takes a bigger cam to take advantage of the flow of the Indy EZ. It takes an even larger cam to take advantage of the Victor. Of course, the larger the cam, the more power that you will be making. The more power that you are making, the stronger the bottom end needs to be.

So, what is your application and goal?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

Default Indy 440 EZ's

First I will say the $$ has been spent on the Indy's. Reason for it is ( as was mentioned here) The prep work required for the Ede's and the screwy offset that doesnt work well on the B engines is just a complete turn off for me. Even if the flow numbers are a bit better.

The application is a 451 stroker, Indy 440 EZ heads, 600 lift cam, victor intake, 850 BG carb, 4k stall converter and 3.91 gears on a 27" tire in a 3200# car with driver. The goal is to run in the 10s and cruise with a slight mix of race gas. Compression works out to be 11.3 but here in Cali the gas Sucks huge ones. Unfortunatly im not getting the exact cam that I wanted (Misunderstanding at the machine shop) but the cam that is coming is close just not quite as agressive as the hughes cam I wanted.

I realy hope im on the right track here.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Inactive User

I dont' know why people consider the Victors so good. In my opinion, they are nothing special. They may have pretty well working ports for their size, but nothing revolutional. I'm pretty sure they will not flow more ported than the comparable Indy heads (SR), can't really figure out why they would? And the chamber is pretty odd too.

One of the drawbacks on top of the odd intake offset is, they have a very low assembled vavlespring height for a so called race head. I just wonder why they couldn't do these things right in the first place, it shouldn't have been any harder than to do it the way they did, if there really was someone that understood something about engine building working at Edelbrock? And yes, we have a set of Victors running in an engine, so I have some clue of what I'm saying. Although everything works now, it would have been a lot less hassle going with Indys. The performance; 3240 lbs street A-body with SS springs, 4.10 gears and 13.5/30/15 ET Streets on pump gas, heads home ported has run 10.07 at 135 mph so far, but it really haven't been tuned much yet. I think similar performance could have been achieved with Indy with way less sweat.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

i wouldnt buy anything from indy!!! stage 6 chapmans with all the correct rockers from harland sharb or a b1bs and all the stuff from sharp.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:40 PM

Stage VI heads that are CNC'd by Chapman (P4876383) are $2,300 without valve train.

I think that he can get into the 10s, with the 440 EZ head for half the cost.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:03 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod7043 View Post
i wouldnt buy anything from indy!!! stage 6 chapmans with all the correct rockers from harland sharb or a b1bs and all the stuff from sharp.
He is propably not buying the Edelbrocks from Edelbrock either. Indy has many good products, and they also have excellent distributors, some of which have been members here too. Like Scott Brown from Straightline Performance. Chapmans are propably great heads, but expensive, and not very easy to get parts for in the case of some mishap.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

The Ez Head Are A Basic Replace Head, You Put The Rt Heads On Yu Run Fast, Indy Has To Mant Optiond S And There Attiude And Proffesionalism Sucks.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:32 PM

The EZ head is a little more than a replace head. The MOPAR 452 aluminum head is a simple replace head.

Most of us wouldn't buy direct from Indy. Most of us go through straightline, hughes, or various others that do some machine work to the heads. So, the comment about Indy and professionalism is really kind of pointless.

While on comments of professionalism, look at your own post. Not really professional, nor a good way to get a point/opinion across to others. Upper case on the first letter of all words. Lack of proper punctuation. No lack of bad spelling. Lack of proper grammar. Lack of information that would sway the readers opinion.

Your profile states that you are 58, yet you act like you are about 14 or 15.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

ya i got 18 years more mopar experience on you , and have know many racers that have got Hosed by them And when i see car that are supposssed to all this lastest stuff and they aint as fast as they are suppossed to be i speak up. i was refferring to the almuinum replace ment head, i reffering to maxport stage 6head you would know anyway you probly aint raced any of the stuff.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned

Yes not bad for a guy thats had 3 strokes a heart attack, attack me when you can prove your parts experince and you have raced them , iwas doin these cars when you were born. never took typing was to busy out there gettin hands on experience. you sound just like the know it alls that came to the parts counter. like the kid that wanted a pistol grip for his 71 Duster. told they never made one in a Duster , his response was "they did too i seen one at a car show"
Old 09-15-2007, 04:46 PM

I don't care who you are, what you have done, or how many heart attacks you have had. If you post/act like a child, your knowledge ends at your keyboard, as no one will read what you have to say.

I also don't care that you never took a typing class. I doubt that many of us here did. It's pretty simple to use a keyboard and type/speak to get your point across with nothing more than 5th grade English. Heck most newspaper articles are written in 5th grade English.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 PM

I also stand by the fact that the Indy 440 EZ is more than enough head to reach the 10's with a 452 stroker. Why spend 2 to 3 times the money for potential that you won't use.

If he were wanting to build a $30K engine that could take a 4,000lb car into the 8s, then yeah those heads might be a good choice. As he isn't doing that, then those heads just aren't cost effective.

There comes a point in time where you have to decide what is best for the application and budget. The heads that you prefer are not the best choice for the application or the budget.

Also, this is an open forum. Just because you feel that you are a legend, doesn't mean that the rest of us are not allowed to disagree with you.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Your mentality shows Hostler.