Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Inactive User

Default Pinched the Pennies...

After tons of overtime and pinching pennies I am now the proud owner of a 1936 coupe (cant wipe the smile off of my face!!) I wish I could say that I have all the engine "know-how" in the world but to be honest I just have the hours in the garage with my father and what I have learned trying to keep my everyday drivers on the road and not in the salvage yard. I am just now getting into going over its 440. The plan (with fingers crossed) is to make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. I took it into some slow traffic this week and in a blink of an eye she was up over 210 and rising. I took out the original rad (which I found a small pinhole in) and had it repaired and record (I was told that it was a six core rad in great shape), after reading several other threads here, I know there are endless reasons for the engine heat up, but I want to know if moving to a more "modern" rad might be a better move. Also it only has one electric "pusher" fan on the front, this fan is mounted tight to the rad, I was told that is should be spaced away from the rad, is that correct??
Old 09-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Inactive User

You have several areas to look at in order to keep the temperature down on a streetrod.

First, is the engine idling at the lowest possible temperature? Most street rods owners don't have an idea of how to minimize engine temps. And it takes some time to "get it right"!

Check the fuel/air ratio! This requires some test equipment---a A/F ratio of about 13 to1 is about right. Most stock carbs are setup to be about 14 to1. If you get a ratio of 12 to 1 that's OK but you may need a range hotter plugs to keep from fouling at prolonged idle.

What is your optimum advance? Don't know but testing several different advances for 5-7 minutes each with a close eye to the temp gauge will help.

Find someone with a infrared thermometer and check for hot spots on the exhaust manifolds. This will tell you if some cylinders are running hotter than others. Get the cylinder temps as close to the some as possible. This is sometimes difficult with stock intake manifolds.

What is your water pump speed at idle? You want the pump to be running about 1000RPM at idle. This will pump enough water to cool the engine. Use a thermostat of either 180 or 195 degrees.

What is the condition of your radiator? Is it stopped up or partially stopped up? A radiator must be clean in order to dispate the heat. You need at least a 15PSI radiator cap.

If the car runs cool at a constant speed of about 30MPH then chances are your major problem is not enough air going through the radiator at idle. I prefer rear fans using a radiator shroud---but this is often not possible in a street rod. The front fan is your only option. You will need a fan with about 3000CFM capacity. Mounting two fans in front of a 36 is not out of the question---and would cool even better. If you use two fans, you don't want them both coming on at the same time. Use different temperature switches---one 15 degrees higher than the other.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Inactive User

Default Guys like Sanborn

Are the cream of the earth. Good advise. I would also consider adding an additive to your coolant. Purple Ice is highly recommended here in blow torch country. I would, for sure, first do some basic coolant system checks out lined by Sanborn before anything else.
Love to see a picture of the beast. Sounds real nice.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

What pegleg and sanborn said!! And we certainly do need pics! I am assuming this is a 36 DODGE or PLYMOUTH, not a ferd or shiv, of course (Of course, after seeing so many sbc's stuffed into Mopar and Ford streetrods, it would be fair to stuff a 440 into the opposition, I guess)
Old 09-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

Default Wow...

First let me say "thanks" for the quick and great advice!!! I have already printed it off and will pretty much use it as a check list at this point!!! Only thing I still wonder is if I would be better off with a newer rad (the old one was cleaned and record) or if the old one is fine....mind you the guy that did my rad painted it as well and for some reason I am thinking that painting the fins was not the right thing to do...again I could be way off base. I have room behind the rad for a fan as well. Should it be mounted tight to the rad? Thanks again. Oh, I will post a pic of the car as soon as I can get the file to resize.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

One thing to remember - big blocks ran normal temps for years and years in whatever original chassis the factory installed them. I'm not all that experienced with B-RB engines, but if a 375HP ran cool in a B-body it should run cool in your coupe - providing it has the equivalent cooling system. Can't wait for the pics of your (insert brand name here) coupe.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:41 PM

I used to work at a radiator shop and there are paints that will help to dissipate heat as well as ones that will actually insulate the fins. If he knew what he was doing, he probably used the right kind of paint so I doubt that's your problem. If I was you I'd work your way through Sanborn's post before you do anything else.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Love to see a picture or two or tree.
I would love to own one of those, if it were a rumble seat....whoooooaaaa. Get the paddles out for the heart.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Inactive User

Default Yes

Mount the fan on the pull side of the radiator, and close to the fins. Remember, if you reverse the direction on most fans, you must also reverse the fan blade mounting position on the motor shaft. You cannot simply change the current polarity and run it backwards.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Here is a pic, probably not the best but its where she was getting loaded up to come home with me.......still have the s**t eating grin on my face!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 coupe.jpg (66.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Inactive User

Nice. Are you running a hood?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 PM

I'd be grinning too. Very cool.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Nope......

Have a quarter hood(i guess that is what you would call it.....but dont put it on as the engine heat is just too much. As for the first thing on "my list", the A/F ratio, can I pretty much take that to a garage to have it tested or am I an idiot and dont know that there is a $5 tool that can do it?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Inactive User

Have a quarter hood (just covers the top), but dont use it due to the heat. As far as the A/F ratio, is that something I can do myself????
Old 09-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Inactive User

There are A/F tools out there but I haven't seen a $5 one. I wish!! That said, if you google I think you'll find some wide-band A/F meters for under $200. Still pricey, but you get the results firsthand!!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Dodger........