Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Virtual Chrysler Shareholders Meeting!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:28 AM

Jim Press, from Toyota, to run sales and marketing for Chrysler!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...e=search_story

And I say welcome and go for it, Jim! Chrysler has always had a bit more of a problem with marketing than engineering, so this should be a good choice.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Inactive User

From what I have heard and read in the news, Jim Press had about 35 years in with Toyota. It is hard to say if that is a good or bad thing at this point. After working for another company for 35 years, you tend to get set in your ways and how that company does things. That doesn't mean that change is all bad, because it seems that change is the only constant in all large companies in this era.

Perhaps Jim can help Chrysler to outmarket the competition? He knows the competition and how it is most likely to react, so perhaps he can give some positive direction to Chrysler in its product development, as well as in sales and design. This is a new business challenge for him, so perhaps he will take the bull by the horns and make a new mark for himself with Chrysler-kind of like Iacoca did.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:59 PM

That's what I'm hoping for. He's got several things to work against that need correcting which include a general unfounded opinion of the public and a automotive media which falls to it's knees for either the imports or GM while sneering and giving bad press undeservedly to Mopars at any chance it gets.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Inactive User

Idea

SSSSSSSSS ssssssssssssss
Old 09-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

Idea

I agree that at least part of the "main stream" automotive press falls to its knees and bends over when evaluating Japanese (and even European) cars and they believe that imports can do no wrong. You can pick these idiots out in a heart beat when reading their reviews and articles. Don't subscribe to these rags and educate your car-ignorant neighbors, friends and co-workers!

Unfortunately many of these aging auto writers still think it's 1980 and that is their point of reference when evaluating U.S. manufacturers' offerings. They evaluate with extreme prejudice. These people are not real car people in my mind. They forgot (or never learned) the joys of real American muscle cars or changing their oil, or taking a car apart and putting it back together. In my mind, their opinions are worthless. I could ask any dumb-dumb non-car person their opinion and get the same answer regarding what is a good car.

When looking at the U.S. offerings at new car shows, such as the smaller new car show I attend in Peoria, IL each winter, I get a chance to compare all of the major makes and models side-by-side for myself. What I notice is the build quality of Chrysler and GM cars has improved to a level that is on-par with foreign competitors. A Chrysler's build qaulity and fit and finish has nothing to apologize for when sitting next to a new Honda or Toyota.

As a matter of fact during the past year I notice that Honda's fit and finish is actually lacking (meaning I would put one up against a new Chrysler product), based upon the few Hondas I have inspected at new car shows this year. That's right. These cars were on display, representative of what a new Honda is. I could easily spot shoddy assembly and fit and finish. Also, don't even think about getting in an accident in one of these little death traps, no matter how many air bags they give you as standard equipment. You are going to lose out to the other car or truck in the accident, no matter what it is. Honda's attempt at a pickup truck is a joke.

I believe that GM could do more in terms of exterior and interior styling and the materials and interior textures it uses on its lower line cars is lacking. Their overall engineering is lagging behind Chrysler in many areas, especially on their lower line models (but that ain't new). However, their fit and finish is good over all.

Ford? It is in trouble, is my general opinion, with its overall quality control and engineering. Interior finishes and materials, engineering, etc. are lacking in regards to more than one competitor. The only model it seems to do well is the Mustang.

The enthusiast press (those media members who are real car people and write for such publications) have been very receptive to new Mopars. The Gen III Hemi has really created a new interest in both new and old Mopars. Even publications that have traditionally been heavily slanted towards GM and Ford products have taken a new attitude towards the Pentastar (we can say that now again!).

Where Chrysler is currently at, is a turning point. IF it continues to produce products and new models that excite the public, then it is in a good position to capitalize on positive consumer perception of its new and old products. The new Challenger is one such product that will positively boost Chrysler's image even further. It has both glitz, great styling, nostalgia and plenty of power and handling to be the next American star on the U.S. new car horizon. It will be part of Jim's job to take advantage of this timing issue and these opportunities.

So, if you are listening Jim, America and Chrysler may want some 4 cylinders, hybrids and clean diesels to choose from, but we haven't forgotten where we came from. We don't want Chrysler to become a Japanese company in regards to its product lines. We want Chrysler's product lines to be diverse and stay that way, offering something for everyone, no matter their tastes or transportation goals.

And Jim, get rid of some of the stupid styling efforts that have recently come out of the Pentastar in the last couple of years. Chrysler raised itself from the automotive ashes in the mid-90s with great styling and capable engineering. Don't copy the competition, innovate and lead the competition and show them how it is done. The only feeling you should be having now is "MOPAR OR NO CAR!" That's your new slogan Jim!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Inactive User

AND make the seats more comfy! :-)PCRMike
Old 09-28-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrmike View Post
AND make the seats more comfy! :-)PCRMike
That depends on which one you're talking about. Seats are ok in my Ram and Breeze, not fantastic but ok. However, my Grand Caravan is so comfortable, even with over 164K on it, I'm tempted to take the seats out and put them in the living room for TV chairs!
Sometimes when my back gets to hurtin me from setting wrong in the computer chair or whatever reason, I go out for a cruise in the minivan and before long the ache just fades away.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Inactive User

Ditto on the mopar minis I have and the Breeze we sold. The new seats though are not even CLOSE to as comfy in the smaller cares. The new PT interior and the Caliber have coated concrete seats I think. :-( PCRMike
Old 09-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Inactive User

Gee, I find the seats in my 03 PT Cruiser to be quite comfortable seat cushions could be longer but they are't bad. A couple of 700 mile one day trips and I could still stand and walk. My only complaint with the PT is too much road noise is transmitted to the interior through the floors.

Made a big improvement when we replaced the Goodyear Eagle RSA tires with Brigdestone Fuzion's, I plan to but some more sound deading under the carpet when I get the ambition.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

Actually '06 and up have different seat. The earlier ones had great seats. The ones in my old Breeze are wonderful, and my bud's 01 PT, but the interior revision cheapened a lot of things. I would own one, but not the 06+. :-) PCRMike