Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Inactive User

Default Ignition issues?

I run dirt circle track and have been running a b-mod (9.5 to compression, pretty limited mods) and just this weekend switched in a A-mod motor that we are going to run a few shows with before the season is over (going to use next year). The motor we put in is around 12.5 to 1 comp. and runs on methanol. The problem I noticed is it starts and sounds good but once you rev it to about 4500-5000 it just isn't wanting to go anymore but isn't popping or making any bad sounds. I'm thinking it's our ignition...pretty much close to stock stuff from the b-mod...what do you think? I think put in a good ECU and high output coil. Next year we planned on putting in a all new good high performance system like MSD or the like but just trying to get a few shows in right now without spending too much at this time. Thanks for any help!!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

The higher compression you use, the higher the cylinder pressure---the better the ignition must be. In addition, the methanol compounds the problem. Then there is the issue of alternator.

12.5 to 1 isn't that high but it may be enough that the spark plugs just won't fire above 4500RPM. Try lowering the spark plug gap to .020", if the engine runs better then your ignition is probably too weak. A tighter plug gap will help to get you by for at least a temporary test---until you get a better ignition. And keep your battery fully charged.