Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Inactive User

Default I got a new toy need some help

I bought a 87 dodge D250 truck with the 5.9l 360 motor. question is what type of horsepower would I get out of putting a set of full length headders, 2 1/2exhoust, flowmaster turbo mufflers, rip all the emissions stuff out of it! a Weiand Action+Plus Intake Manifold, Mallory Unilight distributor, Msd 6al ignition. On a stock long block?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Ruffly 30 - 40 HP more. The headers being the big power maker there.
Mill the heads for better compresion and pick up a small cam. (RV like) That'll be another 15 - 20 HP no problem.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Inactive User

Edelbrock Peformer RPM Air-Gap would probably make more power than the Action Plus (every test done so far proves it).

Ran
Old 10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I agree with Rumble. Keep the action plus. Great intake for a street truck and the 360. Get a stock TQ to go on it too and you'll pick up a little more power. I"d scrap the unilite for a stock dist. with the curve modded and an MSD box. You'll come out better in the long run. Unilites are not well known for holding up very well. Power surges and bad grounds kill the optics. A friend of mine fried about 3 of those things in short order and soon trash canned the piece of junk.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Agreed on the distrib. A Mopar unit and Orange or (My fav) Chrome box would be better.

Though I like the RPM Air Gap, the regular RPM would be best for daily drivers between it and the air gap.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360 View Post
Though I like the RPM Air Gap, the regular RPM would be best for daily drivers between it and the air gap.
Why is that?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

The Performer has a heat crossover and smaller runners. Better low speed running for a mild motor. Also has a choke provision if you run a Thermoquad.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Agreed on the distrib. A Mopar unit and Orange or (My fav) Chrome box would be better.
The Orange boxes have been unreliable the last few years. Maybe an FBO box would be better. I use a junk yard box, and have a Mallory VI AL (still need to test it) with interchangeable wiring (so I can switch to the stock box if it craps out).

Quote:
I guess in Ohio it would make sense to use the heat cross-over, so yes, a regular RPM would be suitable. Not to be confused with the Performer, which is similar to a stock manifold (low rise, spread bore, choke housing, heat cross-over).

Ran
Old 10-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Inactive User

OK, now ya got ME thinking, on my swap to Magnum heads, ported and a mild roller cam in Arkansas, what about the Air Gap on that combo (computer says about 450 HP with my combo) :-)PCRMike
Old 10-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrmike View Post
OK, now ya got ME thinking, on my swap to Magnum heads, ported and a mild roller cam in Arkansas, what about the Air Gap on that combo (computer says about 450 HP with my combo) :-)PCRMike
AFAIK, Magnum heads don't have a heat cross-over...so there's no need to consider anything else for that reason. The RPM Air-Gap was the clear winner in a test or two that I read about, so I would think that is a good option.

Ran
Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

You probably wouldn't have to port the Magnums much. A bowl blend and gasket matching would go far with those heads.

Kick; The Orange boxs have been popping up bad. I have not heard or read otherwise on the chrome boxs. I have a FBO set up. Very very good.

I run an air gap and it make the small block act very similar to a big block in warm up times. If theres going to be some cold weather useage or daily driverish useage, the regular RPM would be my pick.