Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:49 AM
Inactive User

Default To Intercooler or not to Intercooler?

At what point do you need an intercooler? Is it the amount of pressure you're running or the type of system?
Old 10-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

Boost creates a lot of heat.Trying to drive around in 95* heat and 10# of boost with no intercooler or a fuel richening system is a recipe for disaster.

An IC should be a mandatory component of any serious turbo build,followed by some reading of the laws of Thermodynamics to size the IC correctly.In short,the IC will lower the intake charge temp and reduce pressure.By how much depends on the efficiency of the IC.

For example,your turbo car now runs 8# of boost w/o an IC.You install an IC and now the car makes only 6# and has more lag.So, if you're in the planning stages it's best to have the turbo sized for more boost than you think you'll need.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

I would agree with the above comment. The more boost, more heat. The intercooler greatly reduces the intake temperatures with minimal losses. I don't have any fancy test equipment but the "touch test" proved it to me. After running a few minutes at ~8PSI boost the output side was too hot to touch. The intake side after the intercooler was still cool to the touch.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

I understand loosing boost # when the IC cools the charge. When air cools it becomes denser and pressure drops. Can you regain the lost boost pounds by running a smaller pulley? If you wanted to run 8# of boost and you know the IC will take away 2# of boost, can you spin the SC to make 10# and thus get the targeted 8# to the intake? Also, from what you guys have told me you can have a IC that is too small, but I can't see a point where an IC would be too big. So long as there is room. A cold dense charge of air is what you want going to the engine. Isn't it?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Mike View Post
Can you regain the lost boost pounds by running a smaller pulley? If you wanted to run 8# of boost and you know the IC will take away 2# of boost, can you spin the SC to make 10# and thus get the targeted 8# to the intake? Also, from what you guys have told me you can have a IC that is too small, but I can't see a point where an IC would be too big. So long as there is room. A cold dense charge of air is what you want going to the engine. Isn't it?
Yes you can run a smaller pulley to account for the loss.

Yes, you want a cool dense charge,but too large of an IC will drop boost down and create more lag.You basically keep chasing your tail trying to make up lost boost by running a smaller pulley.And then a bigger IC to cool the pressure,then a smaller pulley.And on and on.Then you run out of fuel and melt the pistons.

When I was messing with turbos in '97 there was a company named Incon that made IC's and had a pretty good effiency,sizing and tech page.See if they're still around.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:15 AM
Inactive User

I guess our intercooler is pretty large (36.6" x 20.5"), but we don't have much problem with lag or pressure drop. The air stays pretty cool though, at 1.2 bars we saw 15 degrees increase in the intake charge temp.
http://kuvablogi.com/nayta/iso/img421801.jpg