Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

Default What kind of seat belt upgrades have been done?

I've got a 71 dart swinger with a bench seat. I have been thinking about upgrading the seat belts maybe to a modern style 3 point seatbelt or a race style 3 point harness. Any recommendations?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:18 PM

I moved this up here so you'd get more responses.
I don't have any specific tips for upgrading, but I do think it's good you're redoing your belts. They get old with time and weaken, just like tires , fan belts and many other parts.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

I'm having the same problem with my b body... Napa sells plain lap belts that are obviously not original, but I still haven't got a good way to do a three point belt because there's nothing to really tap into up top.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Inactive User

I have a 72 Duster that had factory over shoulder belts so you may be able to find something at a junk yard.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:10 AM

I have a 73 Duster with the most uncomfortable seatbelts I've ever had the misfortune to use. They hide behind the seats and I have to grope around to find the damned thing every time I go anywhere, and the lap belt and shoulder belt are separate and have to be buckled together before you fasten the seatbelt. Is that standard, or did other years have something more user frindly?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Inactive User

Summit racing has 3 point seat belt conversion kits. On my Cuda I went with a 5 belt Simpson set up from Summit (one lever releases all the belts), as I wanted the best protection possible. You can always find points within the car to attach the belts (like between the rear seat cushion and rear seat back cushion). Just got to get creative.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:32 AM

Wink

Check out xvmotorsports.com they have a nice 3 point belt set up for mopars that is like a modern seatbelt . (not the horrible 2 buckel set up in your dart ) It seems pretty nice for about $69.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudabob496 View Post
Summit racing has 3 point seat belt conversion kits. On my Cuda I went with a 5 belt Simpson set up from Summit (one lever releases all the belts), as I wanted the best protection possible. You can always find points within the car to attach the belts (like between the rear seat cushion and rear seat back cushion). Just got to get creative.
That's what I thought in the past, until I did some reading on race boards.
The 5 point harnesses should not be installed with the rear mount between the rear seat back and cushion - in a roll-over your spine can be compressed because of that. The rear mount should be installed on a roll bar (or roll cage) cross bar which should be not much lower that the drivers shoulder (see NHRA rulebooks for the specs). Also, the anti-submarine belt should not be wrapping around the front of the seat cushion - it needs to come through the seat and close to the driver (also see rule book). It needs to be worn at all times. The harness should be tight at all times (not very practical in daily driving when doing errands).
Oh - I also was thinking that I will have a cage in a street car, and realized that without a helmet, most cages will put your life in danger (knocking your head into a bar can cause severe injury). So, you shouldn't half-ass it - either go all the way and drive with a helmet (and tight harness), or convert to a retractable 3 way belt, and make sure your seats have a good headrest (to protect form whiplash).
Another place for 3 point belts is:
http://www.andoauto.com/seat_belts.htm
Notice they have the option for a chorme lift lever buckle (which looks better than a push button buckle).

Note: I know that a lot of people drive with 5 point harnesses on the street, or have cars with roll cages...it can be done, but it doesn't mean that it's safe.

Ran
Old 11-02-2007, 05:22 PM

Andover Restraints sells the same belts XV does at a cheaper price and they are in stock