Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Inactive User

Default Annoying stumbling off idle and @ WOT

Hey everyone, it's me again. I can't figure out this problem I've had since I bought my '70 Duster 318. When I first press the gas to accelerate from a stop, the engine stumbles for a bit, then picks up. At first the accelerator pump wasn't even hooked up, so I rigged it the best I could so it would at least squirt when I got to about 1/4 throttle. Recently I played around with the ignition, and plugged the vacuum advance line into the port below the throttle plates instead of the one connected to the venturis. It seemed to run a little better, but it still stumbles badly. Since one of my plug wires melted from unwise placement, I will be getting a new set of wires and I'll inspect the spark plugs. I also want to set my timing just to be safe (anybody know a good, straightforward how-to article?). As funding permits I'll be upgrading to a ThermoQuad and eventually electronic ignition, but for now I need a cheap fix so that my mom can drive to work.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

Squirt at 1/4 throttle? You need to get gas as soon as the throttle moves.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, I figured that. But the linkage is all screwed up, I can't get it set up right! This is so frustrating.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Inactive User

sounds like maybe its carb rebuild time. If its a stock 318 2bbl, it should have the Carter BBD 2 barrel carb. VERY easy to rebuild. Rebuild kit is about $20. If you dont have one already, the best tool to have is the factory service manual for your car. These are available thru Year One in print & cdrom. This will explain in detail how to perform both of these jobs. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Inactive User

Will a rebuild kit have a replacement accelerator pump plunger assembly? Mine is completely wrong from the one in the FSM (which I have on CD-ROM). Thank you guys for the suggestions!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

The only rebuild kit I found is a "new"-in-box NOS rebuild kit. Is there anywhere else where I can get a new kit?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 AM

Get the numbers off of the carb. Or take the carb to Napa or your other local auto parts store and have them order the kit.