Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

Default Carb/kickdown question

I'm looking for a used carb for my 360 after rebuild. My question concerns the kickdown linkage attachment. Will any carb have the correct parts already on it to hook this up, or is this something Chrylser specific? Are the brackets, etc, available to purchase seperately from the carburetor? I'm only referring to the pieces that would be attached to the carb, not the brackets on the intake. Here's one I'm looking at currently.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Inactive User

Yes, Edelbrock and Holley make specific Mopar throttle adapters.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

Stock Mopar kickdown linkages are "push" (my terminology) that is, when the throttle cable pulls the throttle plates open, the kickdown rod is "pushed" toward the firewall as well. So you need to get the adapter that lets you connect the k/d link alongside the throttle cable. Edelbrock and Holley both have adapters for this, not expensive or complicated. You might, however, need to modify the k/d linkage length or it's bell-crank location if your replacement carb is not located in the same place as the o.e.m. carb was, again, not a big deal. The other solution, although more expensive, is to use a cable-operated k/d system, (Lokar and Bouchillon both make such a system) that changes the k/d operation to a "pull" type, allows some flexibility to carb locations, uses the stock GM-type throttle lever found on Edelbrock and Holley carbs, but is a bit fiddly to set up. A search for cable-operated kickdowns here should get you more info.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Inactive User

Love my reverse manual valve body. Just like a manual transmission without the clutch. And I got to toss all the kickdown linkage.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the answers.