Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Default 69 Valiant, Auto. or 4 speed?

My 69 Valiant (2 door) is an auto. But thinking of puting in a 4 speed. What does it take to convert it over?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:55 AM
Inactive User

Pedals, z bar, linkage, bellhousing, trans, clutch fork, clutch, flywheel, bolts for flywheel, release bearing, bracket for z bar on frame, crank with a input bushing in it (possibly drilling crank) driveshaft, shifter, tranny hump in floor, new carpet to cover hump.
That will about get it done.
If you didnt know, I have a 69 too. I have a 5 speed in it, 273 with amgnum heads and manifolds, 4 wheel discs, minitubbed, moved the springs, made a 30 gallon stainless steel fuel tank, got rid of the spare tire well in the trunk, I made tubular uppers, alum radiator, 3.91 8 3/4 It was a four door when I started with it, pretty bad shape too, but it is a fun car.

this is what I started with.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Inactive User

Great car. I have a 727 auto in my Cuda, with a reverse manual valve body and a 3500 stall converter. I'm sure it makes the car faster than if I had a four speed. Also, the 727 auto's are lighter than a Mopar fourspeed. I'm sure there is a fun factor to having a munual, but with the auto, shifts occur in a split second, like snapping your fingers, and I hate to loose on the street.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

It depends on what you want. For me personally if it's a street/strip car I'd go with a built manual-valve-body 727, and if it was more of a daily driver I'd go with a 4-speed. Also, I think manuals are better on the off chance you'll be using it for road racing. Manuals are more fun and will give you better mileage, but an automatic will be quicker in the 1/4 and easier to use if you don't go to a manual valve body. Also, an automatic will be sort of a compromise because of the choices in converter stall speed.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:51 PM

That's just an amazing amount of work you've done on that car, cageman! I could never do that!

Here's my '69 Valiant, a little different in a couple of ways:

...especially this bit:

That's the Australian-built 'Hemi' 245 engine. It came in 215ci, 245cc and 265ci displacements and gave pretty good power for such a lightweight engine.

The bellhousing bolt pattern has some similarity to the small block V8s (some were actually built with that bolt pattern), so I'm going to modify a bellhousing for a small block to suit and fit an A833. Probably a direct top gear because it already has, I'm told, a 2.92:1 rear end. That could change if it's got a 3.23, of course, in which case I'll fit an overdrive A833.

A part of my purpose in getting the car (which does need some work!) is to enable me to perfect that adaptation of the A833 (which was NEVER sold here!) to the 'Hemi' engine, and so I can showcase the A833 because I've been importing some for sale here.

This will let me show people what's involved in fitting them up, what has to be done to the tunnel and so on.

Later I might go the rat with it and fit a 318 Poly, but if I do that I will quite likely fit an A230 3-speed to which I will adapt the old Borg-Warner overdrive as used in a lot of Mopars in the fifties. They are a great unit and give you a 6-speed gearbox, effectively. They have their shortcomings in some ways, but there's going to be plenty of flexibility with the torque of the Poly and all to enable me to overcome that.

I'll be putting the car on LPG too... fuel costs are through the roof here and LPG is about half the cost of petrol (gas). I do a lot of miles, usually in my Nissan, but when I've got the Valiant on the road I plan to use it extensively.