Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Virtual Chrysler Shareholders Meeting!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 AM

Default chrysler bankrupt

http://http://www.bloggingstocks.com...ally-bankrupt/
Old 12-23-2007, 12:44 AM

Well, not too surprising since Daimler took everything they wanted before they left, include what Chrysler had in the bank. From the article:"When Nardelli was asked point-blank if Chrysler was bankrupt, he answered slyly with "Technically, no. Operationally, yes. The only thing that keeps us from going into bankruptcy is the $10 billion investors entrusted us with." Thank goodness for Cerberus, eh?"

Seems to me that the writer, Brian White from Blogging Stocks has written a hatchet piece. Of course Chrysler is running on Cereberus financing, they are the OWNERS.
Lastly, the clown says, "Would you buy a Chrysler vehicle with all this uncertainty? " Hell yeah, you stupid idiot, you think the problems with the subprime mortgage industry haven't affected anyone else?
I've got a feeling lil Brian White has some GM or Toyota bucks in his wallet.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Inactive User

Or he looks to slam who ever he feels like, kind of using his computer as a bully pulpit, so to speak.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:57 AM

I hear that, I just get tired of whatever online clown or media blowhard who thinks it's cool to tear a chunk out of Mopar. I've quit reading Automobile as well as Car and Driver and a few others for the same crap.
The problem is, non-Mopar owners who don't know any better, believe these smears.
You rarely hear these clowns going off on any of their imported favorites, it's almost like it's a plan to destroy American industry by the death of 1000 cuts.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Inactive User

Default It is!

Stoga, and it's been going on for a long time. Graduates of journalism schools have only one agenda, and that is to become the best doomsayer. Must give them ego trips to think they have caused a reaction, whether based in fact or in truth. When's the last time you read an honest printed media report on anything?
Old 12-23-2007, 02:40 PM

It just amazes that Chrysler had a large chunk of change in reserve, when Daimler bought them. Now, they don't have a penny to their name. The Germans raped an pillaged Chrysler and then tossed her back onto American shores. Every Chrysler investor that approved that "merger of equals" needs to be taken out back and hung by their nuts.

Most of us knew that this is what would happen, however, the investors were fooled into seeing $$$$$ and there was nothing that the general public could do.

I think that 2008 will mark a good year for Chrysler. They ar killing off some of the junk that doesn't sell and then introducing a couple lines that people are already lining up for.

For example, they were supposed to only take 6,000 orders for the '08 Challenger. All of those sold (over priced) in just a couple days with people still lined up. Chrysler was supposed to review the program and determine if they were going to make more '08s to satisfy demand.

That's just one small example of something that will help. Yes, DCX had already started down the Challenger road, before Chrysler was sold off. At least now the money will actually help Chrysler and not Daimler.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:00 PM

Angry

Boy, that Iacocca really left Chrysler in good hands. That Eaton creep (that Iacocca left as CEO) got his golden parachute and handed the company over to Mercedes on his way out the door, good move.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:02 PM

nhdriver hit on one really important thing. All it took for some foreign company to come in and absolutely ransack an American company was enough willing boardmembers. Who's to say it can't happen again, either to Chrysler or any other US company. Sad state of affairs all around.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
I think that 2008 will mark a good year for Chrysler. They ar killing off some of the junk that doesn't sell and then introducing a couple lines that people are already lining up for.
I agree that limiting the line is what needs to be done, but I'm sad to see the Magnum go. I liked the idea and look of the car, and the fact that it is/was one of the Hemi platforms. I'll be checking out the lots this week for one. I want one before they disappear. Would make a wonderful company car.

Regarding the new Chalenger, I love the lines and the idea of the car. With the new gas mileage mandates, this could very well be the last stab at a "muscle car". The government killed them off last time, and it looks like they are taking steps to do it again. Just as things were getting interesting again, along come the American environmentalist, and pull the rug out. Well, let's enjoy them while we have them, and in another quarter century the new Challys, Camaros, and Mustangs will be the collector cars today 20 somentings will bid for at the BJ auxtions.

I think Iacocca did what he thought was right, at the time. Hindsight being 20/20 we can all second guess the things that went wrong. But I do agree that most of us saw the merger as a bad idea then, and we were proved correct.

Let's just hope that the New Chrysler Corp comes up with concepts that people like, and want, that they build them here, and that Support for the brand grows.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I agree that limiting the line is what needs to be done, but I'm sad to see the Magnum go. I liked the idea and look of the car, and the fact that it is/was one of the Hemi platforms. I'll be checking out the lots this week for one. I want one before they disappear. Would make a wonderful company car.

Regarding the new Chalenger, I love the lines and the idea of the car. With the new gas mileage mandates, this could very well be the last stab at a "muscle car". The government killed them off last time, and it looks like they are taking steps to do it again. Just as things were getting interesting again, along come the American environmentalist, and pull the rug out. Well, let's enjoy them while we have them, and in another quarter century the new Challys, Camaros, and Mustangs will be the collector cars today 20 somentings will bid for at the BJ auxtions.

I think Iacocca did what he thought was right, at the time. Hindsight being 20/20 we can all second guess the things that went wrong. But I do agree that most of us saw the merger as a bad idea then, and we were proved correct.

Let's just hope that the New Chrysler Corp comes up with concepts that people like, and want, that they build them here, and that Support for the brand grows.
Uh hello, oil just hit 100 bucks a barrel the yesterday. These cafe standards are besides the point. The thing that will kill mass produced muscle cars is high energy prices and the fact that global demand for oil will exceed the physical limits of production. Sure I love muscle cars and I really like the new Challenger but the fact is these at best will only succeed to an extent as limited production recreational vehicles for people to have fun with on the weekends. Chrysler NEEDS to get its fuel economy standards up if they want to stay in business.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71dart666 View Post
Chrysler NEEDS to get its fuel economy standards up if they want to stay in business.
True, but they can't sell what the public isn't buying. The Neon and the PT are both smaller packages, yet the Neon is discontinued and the PT may soon be history. They are both dwarfed by their replacement, the Caliber. I looked at one in the showroom and it seems even bigger than my Grand Caravan and the Caliber supposed to be an economy car!
I like the Caliber, but unless you're willing to go sub-compact, I don't know if there is a market for them, despite gas prices.
People will squawk about fuel prices but buy comfort every time if they can afford it. Chrysler, as well as most of the other manufacturers are caught between a rock and a hard place. It almost feels like 1973.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Inactive User

Yeah I have noticed the general trend among almost all car manufactures that vehicles are getting bigger and bigger. Look at the new Dakota compared to one like 15 years ago, or a new Civic compared to the old hatchbacks of the early 90s. The Caliber is hardly a compact especially compared to the first gen Neon.. its like 3300 lbs and barely breaks 30 mpg on the freeway. In fact the SRT-4 Caliber which has over 50 hp more than the Neon SRT-4 isn't any faster due to the extra weight. Chrysler either needs to bust ass on plug in hybrid technology or diesel technology. Perhaps their former relationship with Mercedes might lend them a hand when it comes to clean diesel technology for passenger cars. That way you could say a Caliber diesel that can get an easy 30-40 mpg run for 300,000 miles and still get you up a hill with a carload of people. I think its a no brainer for the gas guzzling SUVs in particular, after all you would get substantially better fuel economy and more importantly in a large vehicle plenty of extra low end torque.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:54 AM

I agree with you on the diesel. Since buying my 04 Diesel Ram, I've really enjoyed it. Having a smaller one in a smaller chassis just for people hauling and light towing duties is real appealing.
I'd probably happily go for a Caliber or Grand Caravan Diesel, especially with 4wd or AWD.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Inactive User

It is interesting that so many people hate Chrysler. I have never understood this phenomenon. I can understand loyalty to one’s chosen auto maker of preference, having been a Chrysler person since birth, but I have never hated the other brands.

I’m a self educated engineer and independent consultant with world record accomplishments in the oil and gas drilling industry designing drill bits that helped changed the way we drill for oil and gas. For many years I have been trying to help Chrysler develop new products but it is virtually imposable to get an idea into the right hands. As long ago as 1990 I sent Chrysler a cylinder head design with four valves that increased flow and better distributed heat in the combustion chamber by putting the intake valves on separate sides of the head. The intake charge would come down the center of the head through ports that spiraled around the center spark plug, entering the combustion chamber in a high speed swirl. The exhaust would exit on either side of the head to better distribute heat. The combustion chamber would have the most even temperature ever achieved and therefore very good fuel burning efficiency.

The deal that Chrysler offers to people with suggestions is; you can send then the idea and they will use it if they like and they will pay you if they like. A couple of years past before they finally sent me a letter saying that they were not looking at such ideas at the time. Right after I got the letter I was on my way to Peru to run an experimental drill bit and when I bought a Popular Mechanics to read on the plane I saw the exact same design that Lancia had built in Europe. So I gave up on that and wondered if someone at Chrysler had sold the design to Lancia. I don’t know why the design isn’t in production now, other than the fact that most inline engines are cross ways in the car and having exhaust from both sides of the head would complicate things.

Right now I’m working on an all electric vehicle concept that will have unlimited range with an MPG rating near 75. The economy model could get 2 cents per mile and the one ton trucks would be less than 10 cents per mile. It is time to make a national commitment to getting off of imported oil but we need not tie ourselves to an extension cord or limit ourselves to anemic little vehicles that have no power. We can still have it all if we are willing to make an effort to free our nation from petroleum imports and reduce our emissions at the same time. I don’t buy the idea that global warming is my HEMI Dodge’s fault or that there is much that we can do to stop a natural process but reducing emissions is always a good thing.

I would hate to see Chrysler die before they have looked at this plan but I’m thinking about giving the plan to one of the Presidential candidates once we know who is facing who.

This idea will pop up on its own because it is the only convenient way to go electric but I was hoping to let Chrysler have i
Old 01-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylong View Post
It is interesting that so many people hate Chrysler. I have never understood this phenomenon. I can understand loyalty to one’s chosen auto maker of preference, having been a Chrysler person since birth, but I have never hated the other brands.
There's a term for it, it's called penis envy.
The blowtie boys have it bad, they know all these rules through the years from banning the Hemis to weighing down Mopars, to limiting certain classes to displacement of 350. +.030 over, no destroking, etc, etc, are really only crutches to prevent the GM blowtie brigade from having to compete on an equal status with Chrysler. By equal I mean, same cid, same weight, similar cam and specs. I could go on and on, but basically they can't win against a Mopar without these crutches and they know it, so they're resentful.
It's kind of sad really, but what's even more sad is the uniformed public falls for this crap
Old 01-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Inactive User

I agree about people hating chrysler. Alot of "chevy guys" will bash Chrysler, scream about how patriotic they are, then get in their toyota and go home. I don't hate chevy ford or any other manufacturer. I don't want to see any American company lay off American workers and go bankrupt. To me it boils down to personal preference, I just prefer chrysler cars and trucks. I haven't been too happy with the direction that Chrysler took under the direction of Dailmer. I just hope they can rebuild what they created in the early 90's.

Chrysler does need a car like the neon again without the headgasket problems. If you can get a young kid or couple to come in and buy a car, you have a better chance of them comming back when they need a new car and they have more money to spend. Their entry level cars need to be of high quality as well.

I became a chrysler fan when I was 5 years old. It was when my dad brought home a new Ramcharger in '78. He also drove a '73 fury with a 440 in it. Not the most glamouris of cars, but I loved it.

I like what they have done with the 09 ram. I hope it translates through the rest of the car line.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Inactive User

guys.....Daimler still owns 20% of Chrysler...
Old 02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Inactive User

Chrysler is in imminent danger of being sucked up by Ford or GM and that would mean the end of Dodge. I’m thinking that the Dodge dealers should try to buy what is left of Chrysler but most Dodge dealers are part of giant companies that own several other dealerships so they don’t care that much if Dodge dies. Even the workers may not care who owns the company or what it is called as long as they have their benefits.

My dad worked at Chrysler dealerships all of his life so I grew up around the service department and worked on cars even before I went to work full time at a small dealer near San Antonio. At the end of 1966 a Chrysler rep offered my dad a Chrysler field car with three discounts; field car, special model(hard to sell) and end of year so we took the 1966 Plymouth Satellite with a HEMI four speed for $2,400.00. We had to wait until the 67 models were officially on the floor before we drove it and when my dad took our boss for a ride our boss thought twice about letting an 18 year old have the car. I drove it for a couple of months while we tried to get insurance and financing but in the end we couldn’t get it done. Especially with my boss and dad thinking that I would kill myself or someone else. It was the most dangerous vehicle that I have ever driven and my dad and I later built a 413 64 Fury, a 440 69 Dart and a 60 model lancer with the 340 that came out of the Dart. The Lancer started as a station wagon and Dad turned it into a pickup so it had no traction. The worst thing about the HEMI was that cops followed you around any time they saw you. After we gave the HEMI back the Chrysler rep wanted to make me feel better so he brought another field car from West Texas. It was a 1966 Satellite convertible with a 383 four speed. I drove it until I went into the Air Force. Back in those days the Chrysler guys were like family and they were very good to my dad.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Well, they put out a whole bunch of Dakota's with bad front shocks-just bounce all over- I test drove 4 Dakota's before buying mine, 1 had bad shocks, but I figured since it had 63,000 miles, it deserved bad shocks. I had them pick me up an 07 which they went bad on. My dealer replaced mine, back to the same thing. Some say it's a weight issue, but my garbage truck had better shocks, it was heavy. So now not alot of the buyers of the 05 to 07 Dakota's (Maybe even 08s, they look the same) Most likely wont come back. If the tow haul down shifts by itself going down a hill, when you don't want it too, they aint gonna want auto transmissions anymore either. If that's the best they can do, I'll be puting up with it till I can afford to get a diesel or something else non 545