Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

Default Duster scoop big enough for ram air??

i was considering rigging my car up, to make a ram air system with my scoop that i have on my car right now...but i was wondering if the openings are large enough to actually work??
Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

It depends if the scoop is positioned correctly on the car. What is the natural attitude of the car ? .... if this attitude is wrong .. the scoop could be in a VACUUM ... instead of a pressure area.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 PM
LARGE member

The two highest air pressure locations on any given car will be:
1) the grill area, naturally
2) the base of the windshield.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Inactive User

Nah, ram-air is bull. It won't give you an effect until really high speeds, like above 100 mph. Even then it'll only be a little extra power. I can see you already have a dual-snorkel scoop, just keep that the way it is, 'cause cold air DOES make a difference. Unless you want to do what scredneck is suggesting and put some sort of "snorkel" to the grille from the air cleaner, that might do something.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Inactive User

Yeah. I have the same scoop for my Scamp. It does nothing for ram air, but it does help with cold air. I haven't put it on yet, but that's only because I'm waiting until I paint it.

The only place that ram air works is when air has enough force to change the other dynamics of the car as well, such as stability and downforce. Once you hit those speeds, ram air is functional, but not a second sooner. Think of the difference in how it has affect at lower speeds versus higher speeds like subjecting yourself to a 40mph wind gust and being in a 100+ mph wind storm.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Inactive User

Default Dual scoops

I have them on my Demon. I cut the holes in the hood just to bring cool air into the engine area. To make them ram air would be a sheet metal techs nightmare, and the driver side would interfere with the brake booster anyway.
I think the cool air will help as it is.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthorvictor75duster View Post
i was considering rigging my car up, to make a ram air system with my scoop that i have on my car right now...but i was wondering if the openings are large enough to actually work??
The main problem with your factory scoop is that the opening is not large enough for ram air. What little cool air it brings in wont help much if you can't shove it through the carb. Ram air is effective above 60 or 70 mph depending on the cars areo and any forward facing scoop can be used for ram air if it's large enough. You have to have something the size of a 6 pack or Hemi scoop that they used on the old 330 cars to make ram air effective.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

In order to acheive real "ram air" you have to get your scoop opening into the boundry layer. The height of this varies with front end shape of the car but usually at least 6 or more inches above the hood surface. As your scoop gets into the boundry layer it's shape becomes important as you can literally negate all of your ram air gains with increased wind resistance. Look at the newer designed pro-stock scoops and see how they differ from say 10 years ago. -Bob
Old 01-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Inactive User

I have a 69 Valiant, and it has the same basic front end, when there is snow on the hood, it will stay there, no matter how fast I go, I think the air hits the grille area and doesnt hit the car till about half way up the windsheild. I also notice this when I wash the car and leave the yard, I live 1/2 a block from the highway and I can get to sixty in a hurry, it pulls water form the grille area and no matter how fast I go, it hits about half way up the window, right in my line of sight, not very scientific, but I think it describes the aero of these cars.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageman View Post
I have a 69 Valiant, and it has the same basic front end, when there is snow on the hood, it will stay there, no matter how fast I go, I think the air hits the grille area and doesnt hit the car till about half way up the windsheild. I also notice this when I wash the car and leave the yard, I live 1/2 a block from the highway and I can get to sixty in a hurry, it pulls water form the grille area and no matter how fast I go, it hits about half way up the window, right in my line of sight, not very scientific, but I think it describes the aero of these cars.

No. Not very scientific but a spot on analogy. Ever see how engineers do wind tunnel testing? They tape pieces of yarn or other string type materials to various surfaces see how and where it reacts to differing wind speeds.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr View Post
No. Not very scientific but a spot on analogy. Ever see how engineers do wind tunnel testing? They tape pieces of yarn or other string type materials to various surfaces see how and where it reacts to differing wind speeds.

They also use an inches-of-water gauge to measure air pressure on different parts of the car.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Anybody know much about the other companys works on this?
OE and aftermarkets works?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Inactive User

ok i did cut out the triangular section under the hood to induct colder air under the hood to help keep the engine cool, and i was just wondering thanks guys...maybe ill just leave it be ha ha it works just fine as is..and im not exactly sure what the attitude of the car is right now i think its fairly level because my leaf springs are shot and flat..and water does bead on the hood after i wash the car..as far as snow i dont know haha...right now its under a foot haha
Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Inactive User

I dont really understand wind tunnel testing. In the real world the air is still, and the car is moving, disturbing the air. In a wind tunnel the air is moving at a high rate and is hitting a still car, the air that is disturbed by the car gets pushed along by the air around it, which I dont think gives an accurate reading. Im sure there is lots to be learned while in a wind tunnel though, dont get me wrong, it is just some things are not accurate to real world driving?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Inactive User

well its all about relative airflow.. pilots use it to figure out angle of attack and stuff.. and gives certain references.. my opinion i think wind tunnels are fairly accurate.. but thats me..i dont think they give real world scenario's like turning and such, gusts from the side but for straight on frontal wind i think their fairly accurate..