Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Home Improvement

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:59 AM
Banned

Default ROOFING anyone ?

..... I got a few prices on a simple ranch-style home a couple of months ago .......

It about FLOORED me.

Anyone have any DIY tips?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:15 AM

Wish I did, just be sure whoever you get is qualified and has a good reputation with job experience to back them up. I added a couple of rooms to my house this summer and had a local fellow do it. Unfortunately, the roof started leaking like a sieve once the weather got colder. I've given him a couple of chances to patch what he's done, but I'm about ready to give up and tarp the area until spring then get a professional to redo everything because the roof on the main house is a good 15 years old and about due for replacement anyway. Most of the building supply stores like Lowes have do it yourself manuals and dvds, you may want to invest in some reference material to help make up your mind which way you want to go.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Banned

Were there leaks everywhere ...or just say in the valleys?

I believe that the library has a VHS tape on this ... and you can't get any simpler than the roof I have ... it is a simple ranch - with a walk-out basement.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:16 AM

It's just a basic flat roof, mainly leaked around the window in my daughter's room and one spot near the middle in mine. We've got it patched at the moment, with a few strategic buckets just in case. Just have to hang on until spring when the weather breaks now....sigh.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Banned

MINE is really weathered ... but no leaks.

Take a guess what some of the quotes were ? .... for a simple ranch roof .... the house is 32x52. NO tear-off needed.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

If all you are doing is just putting new shingles on top of existing ones, its a piece of cake. Personally, Id rather tear the old stuff off and put all new on. Alot of times you can end up with leaks that stem from the old stuff being on there under the new. A complete tearoff and new roof is pretty simple on a house like yours anyhow as long as there is no new plywood needed. Someone that knows what they are doing could get it done by themselves in a weekend as long as the weather holds up. If you stop by Home Depot, they have tons of DIY books and DVDs that you can buy and pick up tips from.

As for tips, the best one is this: Dont fall off the roof!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

FALLING off a roof? ...I hear you.

I know of a guy who was removing and antenna from a neighbors roof - three stories in the air ...and fell off.

He is hurting BAD ....and medical bills to date are 250K$.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Inactive User

Hey, Ive done it. I used to do roofing jobs for people when I was in high school, and I lost my footing one time and slid right off. Luckily it was only a single story and the worst part of it was the "roof rash" from sliding on the shingles.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Banned

73 ...it is NOT the actual FALL that will hurt 'cha ....it is the sudden STOP !
Old 01-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Inactive User

Thats right lol
Old 01-15-2008, 02:51 AM
Inactive User

Adding asphalt shingles over existing asphalt shingles sure makes for a lot of weight!and sometimes makes roofs sag under the load! also if you live where it snows!It could be a disaster with the weight of the snow on top of the asphalt shingles.It is sort of like restoring a car! You strip the car down to bare metal and start over you get a much better job!Same with a roof replacement! also you find any areas that need repairs!
You should get 3 to 4 quotes anyways to compare the prices! You can also go online and check it to see what a reasonable cost is! Also If I were you I would go ahead and install some ridge vents! To help your home breathe! If it doesent breathe well it will decrease the life of your roof due to heat build up inside! Check around and you may be able to get a good roofer to do it as a side job if you purchase your own materials etc.
Also make sure to use good shingles especially if you plan on staying there for sometime! My home is about the size of yours and I used 25 year shingles and it cost $2575.00 to tear off,make some repairs around the chimney,replace the 4 turbine vents,install ridge vents and all new metal trim around the edge and cover the roof with 30# felt and complete clean up and it took ONE 9 hour day for 5 guys and they were done! This was 9 years ago,I know the price of materials and labor have gone up but it should be around $4000.00 maybe a little more to do your home. Sometimes geographical area has a lot to do with pricing!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:54 AM
Banned

Hi 340 ..... IF I got a price of 2600$ to do my roof ... then job would have been done RIGHT THEN.

Take a guess at what quotes I got for regular shingles ...and for "metal molded shingles" ...that look like the asphalts ?

I was told that my job would take 3 guys 1 day to do.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Down the road from Tulsa, in a little town called Wagoner, they make molded shingles that look like wood shakes from recycled pop and milk bottles. Much,much better than wood shakes, fire resistant, last 30-40 years, stronger, and resist wind tear-off and hail much better. My little 3085 sq. ft. house cost $7000 to tear-off two layers of asphalt shingles, two layers of wood shakes, re-deck with 5/8" treated plywood( my State Farm insurnace requires 1/2" ACTUAL THICKNESS, check with your agent!!!!) new 35 year fiberglass/asphalt shingles. You'll get exactly what you pay for with most roofers. Cheap price=cheap job+cheap materials. Took 6-8 guys two days to strip and re-roof, and clean-up. On mine, they earned their money. If you get asphalt shingles DEMAND 4 staples per shingle, NOT one per tab. Plastic ring nails from Hitachi are better, two per tab. Cost is triple on fasteners.
I roofed my old seperate garage with "irregular" shingles, cut crooked, but you can't tell. Those "squares" get heavier each trip up the ladder, and that was 20 years ago when I was in my 30's, not now in my 50's. It hard, hot, heavy work with a roofing stapler I borrowed. Hand nailed, I'd still be up there pounding. Don't let them quote you a price with Celotex or beaver(chip) board for decking! It won't hold up and will sag. Be a hard-ass and tell the contractor what YOU want(and your insurance co. wants). Hail-resitant roofs get you a discount on your home-owners. Three years difference in premiums will pay for 35-45 year shingles.