Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Inactive User

Default on average... how much??

i was wondering... on average how much does it cost to have an engine machined, balanced, pistons installed on the rods, etc. i can do the assembly my self so minus that factor.

i have a 340 and im wondering if i need to tear the engine down and send it out to be machined and what not.

i know for sure the bottom end needs new bearings, nothing major, the olds ones are just starting to show some of that copper color. i wanna get a new set of pistons (seeing as how one of the pistons if different from the others however, i measured the bore of all the cylinders with some calipers and they all seem the same size) i checked the cylinder walls and they seems fine, a friend of mine even said so. so since i wanna change the pistons ill need new rings and that mean a good honing of the cylinders.

i can post pictures if anyone cares to take a look at my situation. Maybe i dont even need to send the engine out at all, i may just need to do a little freshening up

thanks if you can help
Old 01-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

hard to tell from what you say. All machine shops vairy in prices. need to deside what you need done an talk with a few. they do charge for every thing they do, but do not sort cutt it or you will be sorry
Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Inactive User

Default My 365

Was done right by the most respected local builder, Drive Line engines. The total cost included new Mopar R/T heads, surfaced, lightly ported, port matched and bored, SSI valves, comp roller rockers, Mopar roller lifters, bore block 0.030", surface block, sonic check, KB pistons, moly rings, all bearings, pins, factory used rods (Checked for straight), Melling oil pump, assembled and ready to run.
Price with tax, $5975.00.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Inactive User

Default OOps

Forgot the ARP studs for the heads and main bearings
Old 01-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

wow i really dont have 6 grand right now... college student... but i can however afford a good freshen up... new pistons and piston rings with hone of the cylinders and bearings all around (minus cam bearings). im going to do some extensive examining of the power plant to see if i can get away with freshening up... if i cant though, if i need to do a complete and total rebuild then i will just have to bite the bullet and try to save up for the rebuild.

the guy i got it from said that the engine was machined when he got it from a friend. the bottom end looks like its in really good condition and so do the cylinder walls... no lip at all... the camshaft doesn't have the slightest sign of wear on it... really, the only thing thats bothering me is the piston thats different from the rest. that cylinder is in good shape too though and according to my measurements with my calipers its the same size as the others and it physically looks the same as well.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

Default Orphan piston

That would scare me too. What does the rod journal for that hole look like? Is the rod also newer looking? Is that piston at the same level with the deck as the rest? If any of these issues are suspect, I 'd be real careful about what you really have as far as a "machined" block.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Inactive User

I paid $1300 to have the block cleaned, sonic checked, checked for alignment of the main bearings, machined 0.030 over, the block decked to zero for the pistons I was using, the crank turned -0.010", cam bearings installed, and the rotating assembly balanced. I had new rods with floating bushings so I did the piston to road assembly along with all the rest of the assembly. I had a set of fresh heads so no work there. Pistons, rods, bearings, oil pump, timing set, cam, lifters and gasket set was another $1000.

This work was done by the local race machine shop so it was a little more expensive.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Inactive User

Question

the deck height for the piston, the rod and the jornal on the crankshaft for that rod all look fine... thats why im confused. ill take some pictures and post em for you guys to see for your self.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Inactive User

[QUOTE=arillious;721363 however, i measured the bore of all the cylinders with some calipers and they all seem the same size) i checked the cylinder walls and they seems fine, a friend of mine even said so. so since i wanna change the pistons ill need new rings and that mean a good honing of the cylinders.QUOTE]

Hi, you need to get a dial bore gauge and check the bores for taper. That will tell you if it needs bored.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Inactive User

ok ill try that as well thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Inactive User

For a stock type rebuild of a 340 using new oversize pistons and other quality parts , with machining costs , plan on spending $2500-$3000 .