Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Inactive User

Default Thermoquad F/A question

Has anyone here run a T/Q on a dyno and gotten the F/A readings? I've been seeing current articles on Mopar builds (Dulcich) using TQ's that have come in pretty fat when professionally checked.

I run a 6322 and a 6518 (believe that's the number, it was original to the 440 I got from a Winnebago) and one other early 70's carb (hey, it's below zero and I'm not going out to the garage to check on this tonight), and the thinnest secondaries I've got are .137" which still peg my A/F meter at WOT. I've run the TQ on my car since 1993, rebuilt it once and adjusted the secondary door to make it work on a 360 in a '67 Barracuda and '69 A-108 panel van, then in my Belvedere II and kept it when I installed the 440.

I've swapped in jets and needles among these carbs and tried them at the track, all are the large secondary bore size, and can lean the primaries via jet/needle combinations and/or by adjusting the mini-screw that determines needle depth, to the point where I can make the car stumble at certain throttle settings. The A/F meter goes black when this happens, of course, and point of fact the meter is pretty basic--it's also only in the driver's side header so I'm only getting half of the motor's message here.

Looks like the carb can be leaned out at least two ways, by adjusting the secondary door and by enlarging the air bleeds.

Question is, have any of you found your TQ to MEASURE fat at WOT no matter what you've done with needles and jets, and/or made other carb mods to stop over-rich conditions?

I'm going to run combinations again after the 440 gets its rebuild, and a friend who's a big Holley fan will work up a carb that he thinks will outperform any TQ I have. No biggie, whatever's best is what I want to use, but I also don't want to be missing something with my TQs that could make one of them the best option.

I've found an easy 2/10's in the 1/8th mile by swapping TQ's, each tuned differently, so expect there's a lot more to find in them.

Could even be that my A/F readings aren't very accurate and I'm really already at an optimum point without knowing it. Still, it seems odd the secondaries can't be leaned out enough to keep the meter from pegging.