Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

Default love neons

Hey this is joe and i would like to say that i am an old school neon fan 95-99 but i prefer the 95 over them all and their is a difference believe me does anyone know the dif
Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Inactive User

I love my 96, I have owned it for about a year, but it is a fun car to drive. I wish I would have bought one way earlier. My little brother has a 95 four door, and he drives the crap out of it, the best part of them both is we bought them for cheap, Mine had a timing belt that was bad, his the tranny was making noises, he drove it for three years before it broke the case, it was the pin. We put the little plate on the new tranny cross shaft pin to keep it from walking out and it should be fine for a long time. If not, the Junkyard is getting them in all the time for dumb things like cam seals and timing belts, most cars look brand new, My brothers looked great, bought it for 400 dollars, My car has to have been owned by an old grandma, as the interior was mint, and only had a couple door dings in it
I have modified the crap out of my car. I built a roll bar inside of it, put a ghetto lip on the front bumper and turned it into a road runner. I blacked out the hood and Made deacls for it like a road runner has. My brothers car I bought 17's for it, and put a huge stripe down the side of it, new headlights and tail lights, and a carbon fibre hood. Pretty sweet car for a 16 year old punk, lol.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

here is mine when I got it, looks nothing like this now. I should get a picture tommorrow in the light.

Here is his, a while ago, has a few things diff now.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

So, whats the difference? I have a '98 and love that liitle thing I was amazed on how well these things run and handle.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Inactive User

I have a Neon addiction also. Been a while since I've been on here, used to go by Dave D.

I have 2 '96 Neon Coupes. One's a parts car, project waiting to happen I bought for $200 from someone I worked with. It's an SOHC automatic with a supposedly blown head gasket but I'll be darned if I can find it, even let the car sit and idle for an hour in the summer heat with no problems.

My second Coupe is also a SOHC, 5 spd. Bought the car in 2000 for my wife to use as a commuter and it's been transformed into an SCCA autocross car. Run it in STS, finished second in season points in Indy Region this past year. The car has 160,000 mi. on the clock with only a timing belt failure being the only real problems the car has had since we've had it.

My "company car" is also a Neon. I'm part of Performance Driven llc., a e-commerce speed parts business and also the marketer of Performance Driven Performance Lowering Springs for 1st gen Neons. These are the re-engineered substitutes for the now NS-1 Mopar Performance High and X-High rate springs.

Anyway, back to the company car. It's a '95 NYG(Nitro Yellow/Green) ACR Coupe that we're preparing to race with the SCCA in ITA and NASA in PT. It's close to ready, we're hoping to have it ready by the beginning of March to display it at the grand opening of our retail store in Indy.

As much garbage as you hear about Neons, the truth is they're fun, fast, tough little cars. I didn't think much of ours at first, but as I spent time with it, the more I enjoyed it. Now, it's going to take a lot to get me to give the thing up.

The other thing about Neons that I like about Neons is how thoughtfully they're designed, a lot like our beloved classic Mopars. That's something that seems to be missing with a lot of later Chrysler offerings. I enjoy spinning wrenches on Neons, they're fun to work on. They respond well to modifications and man, if you think a Neon handles well stock, load one up with the right suspension pieces and a good set-up, it just boggles the mind. You have to remind yourself that the thing is an economy car!