Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Inactive User

Default Intake & Exhaust Valves

I just took down my set of 906 heads and the valves have SPR 900 on them. I know the heads were rebuilt in the late 90's and I just want to know if they are stainless or maybe titanium? The heads look like they were done rite as they have broze guides, cc'd, milled .040, they have double springs and had the good valve seals in place.

Anyone know what SPR 900 would be?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

like cosmoline ill guess.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod7043 View Post
like cosmoline ill guess.
Hotrod

What is cosmoline?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 AM

Cosmoline is a protective grease used on metal objects that will be stored.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Inactive User

well a magnet won't stick to stainless steel valves
highly doubt there titanium vaves.
I thought SPR just made pistons. guess not.
couldn't find a SPR intake/ehaust valves.
Cosmoline is a generic class of rust preventatives, same consistancy
as petroleum jelly.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned

actually its like a pitch they spayed on parts to stop metul from rusting.Srp is the Sportsman line for JE Pistons no idea what spr 900 is.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Inactive User

I believe SPR is an offshore brand of replacement parts.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Banned

Could be SEALED POWER Replacement OR SPEED PRO RACING.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Inactive User

The stems look differant than stock valves. These have more of a shine to them.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Banned

Did you have the heads done?, or but them that way? are They 2.14&181 if i remember correctly some of the Mopar performance valves were pretty Nice.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Did you have the heads done?, or but them that way? are They 2.14&181 if i remember correctly some of the Mopar performance valves were pretty Nice.
No I didn't have the heads done. I bought them with a 440 that was rebuilt back in the late 90's. The engine was only ran for a summer then removed, partly disassembled, and shelved for over 10 years. The valves are 2.08 and 1.74. The seats were replace when the heads were rebuilt before so I'm not planning on upgrading to 2.14 and 1.81. I am going to port and polish the heads and do a 5 angle valve job. I wanted to know about the valves because if they are two peice valves I will replace them.

I called the guy back and he said he thought the exhaust valves were sodium filled to disipate the heat from N2O use. I thought all sodium filled valves were just used in motorhomes and had a bigger stem size? He didn't remember who made the valves. FYI The guy is sharp but had an accident about 8 years ago and he lost some memory from head trama (he also lost the use of both legs). He just keeps telling me the engine was built "rite" and set up for nitrous.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Inactive User

"No I didn't have the heads done. I bought them with a 440 that was rebuilt back in the late 90's. The engine was only ran for a summer then removed, partly disassembled, and shelved for over 10 years. The valves are 2.08 and 1.74. The seats were replace when the heads were rebuilt before so I'm not planning on upgrading to 2.14 and 1.81. I am going to port and polish the heads and do a 5 angle valve job. I wanted to know about the valves because because if they are two peice valves I will replace them."

Why go to the trouble and expense of porting and leave the small valves in? 906 heads are pretty weak even with bigger valves and IMOP not worth putting much money into. Also, IMOP, doing them "right" in the first place would have included the valve upgrade. What are you intentions for the motor when completed? -Bob
Old 03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr View Post
Why go to the trouble and expense of porting and leave the small valves in? 906 heads are pretty weak even with bigger valves and IMOP not worth putting much money into. Also, IMOP, doing them "right" in the first place would have included the valve upgrade. What are you intentions for the motor when completed? -Bob
Bob
Thanks for your opinion you are entitled to it however I will have to disagree when you say 906 heads are weak. Stock 906 heads are good for well over 450 HP and porting will help flow even with the 2.08 1.74 valves. I do all my own port and valve work so I don't have to put much money into them. With all that said this discussion was started to find out what valves are in these heads NOT what are your intentions for the engine? IMO you should use eddy heads or bla bla bla...
You are correct in one thing, doing it "right" would include a valve upgrade and if these are one piece SS valves then they have been upgraded. That my friend is what I'm trying to find out.
Thanks again for your contribution to this thread. Next time please try to stick to the subject.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

"Bob
Thanks for your opinion you are entitled to it however I will have to disagree when you say 906 heads are weak. Stock 906 heads are good for well over 450 HP and porting will help flow even with the 2.08 1.74 valves.
I do all my own port and valve work so I don't have to put much money into them. With all that said this discussion was started to find out what valves are in these heads NOT what are your intentions for the engine? IMO you should use eddy heads or bla bla bla...
You are correct in one thing, doing it "right" would include a valve upgrade and if these are one piece SS valves then they have been upgraded. That my friend is what I'm trying to find out."

-You do your own porting but you don't know what material your valves are???

"Thanks again for your contribution to this thread. Next time please try to stick to the subject."

-I'll keep that under advisement. You know it's attitudes like your's who tend to cause people who may be able to help you to put you on the ignore list. Which is what I have just done. Happy hunting!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
"
-You do your own porting but you don't know what material your valves are???
Thats correct. This thread was started to try to find out who made them and what these valves are. I do know that a magnet will not stick to a real good grade stainless however sometimes a stainless part will be a mix and a magnet will stick. You don't really need to know what a valve is made out of before you port heads, you should however know what the valve is made out of before you cut the valve and this is what I'm tring to find out.

Quote:
"
-I'll keep that under advisement. You know it's attitudes like your's who tend to cause people who may be able to help you to put you on the ignore list. Which is what I have just done. Happy hunting!
Sorry if I offended you but I was just trying to keep to the subject at hand. Thanks for adding me to your ignore list, now I will not have to listen to your helpfull comments...oh wait what was that help you offered again..... 906 heads are weak.....don't put money into them...... I quess they were not helpfull at all.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Inactive User

And the award goes to.....Hotrod

SPR valves are old Speed Pro Racing valves

I finally tracked down the original engine bulider and he said they use stainless steel one piece valves made by speed pro.
Funny the engine was first assembled by HBR in Florida and had "HBR #371" stamped into the crankshaft. Rick said they are now in Navada @ Moroso speedway and they are in the 4700 on engine builds.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Take that with your grain a salt see i also sold speed Equipment too, My parts Room had a lotta goodys in it.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Take that with your grain a salt see i also sold speed Equipment too, My parts Room had a lotta goodys in it.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned

And your lucky to have a63 Fury i like 63 and espescialy 64 Belvedere or Furys. A62 Dodge are so ugly ya gotta have one.as another Parts Guy used to say.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
And your lucky to have a63 Fury i like 63 and espescialy 64 Belvedere or Furys. A62 Dodge are so ugly ya gotta have one.as another Parts Guy used to say.
Yep in a 62 you have to sneak up on the gas pumps.

I like the 63 more than the rest. I like the 64 Fury also but the pointed nose kind of puts me off. Growing up my Mom had a 63 Golden Sport Fury it was gold with black and gold interior. At 8 years old I used to sit behind the wheel making race car noises. My mom always said I would get the car when I was 16 if I was a good boy. My brother however turned 16 YO 3 years before me and by the time it was my turn he had bent the body smashed both qtr panels and basically drove it into the ground. I still wnted the car so pops and I started to pull it down to the garage to see if I could get it running and about half way the frame twisted out at the tortion bar mount, it was rusted gone. A year later my pops sold the car (for the trim) to a guy that was turning a Fury into a Sport Fury for $50. I was heart broken.
Now 20 years later I have one of my own. The funny thing is I stopped into a local body shop to see if they could order me some qtrs. The guy said sure they are still available. I told him I was looking for some bucket seats and he tells me he has a friend that may have some parts for my car and gave me the number. Anyway I call the guy, tell him my name and what I want and guess what the parts car he has is my moms old Sport......He never used the trim he cloned a Max Wedge car and not the Sport so he still has her. I'm in nagosiations to buy it back....it will probably cost me more that the $50 he paid my pops.