Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation Power steering mounting help

OK here goes. I am sure many have had this issue when going from cast iron to aluminum water pumps.

I just need a solution that will work decent. I think this should be included somewhere to in a part guide help section. I have talked to over 30 people and all are not sure hat all is needed. So i know we have folks on this board that can help and I thnk you in advance!

I have the later aluminum water pump on my 340 stroker that replaced my 273 in my 64 Dart. I currently have the alternator, the water pump and the out side crank grove will line up fine for the belt that drives the alternator and the water pump on this outside crank grove.

So how do I get the pump mounted so that it can use the inner grove on the lower crank pulley. Is there a bracket that works best, I see no wat to mount the old 64 TRW style pump for the Power steering. Should I go with a saginaw pump setup for this, and if so, do you space the pump out further and get a 3 grove lower crank pulley and run the belt from the PS to the outside 3rd grove on the crank?

Pictures anyone that has gone from a cast water pump to a later aluminum pump setup on a small block please would help.

I also see that http://www.bouchillonperformance.com...erSteering.asp
makes parts, but I read some users have issues with the pump hitting out on the K frame on the early years. His mounting puts the pump very low in the car, and is for a saginaw style. I was thinking I need a saginaw pump with the brackets that Mancini Racing sells. I think this mounts it higher up on the water pump? Then will I need a pulley or pulleys for the pump and to make sure it lines up with the crank. Or can I mount it to line up with the inner crank pully grove?

Someone please help thanks!

Then I even noticed that there is a new federal pump bracket setup Mancini sells that adapts the PS pump to work off of the aluminun water pumps. Anyone try that on either? My pump is the old TRW used in 64 and many other early A's. So no brackets are out there that I have seen to make it work. It used to straadle the water pump.

PS Swear if I had to do it all over again I would NOT have let Firm Feel talk me into staying with the Power Steering!

So I think I need a pump (Saginaw type) Pulley for this saginaw pump, mounting brackets and maybe pulleys?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

Get a 70 & up WATER PUMP, Timing cover, Pulleys, and I think the Power steering pump/ brackets, v8 PS pumps are generally the same, BUT I say 'think' cause I'm not 100% about the early pumps.
I take them 'PULLEYS' & 'BRACKETS' of vans all the time.
The alt/water pump belt go's on the outside grove while the power steering belt go's on the inner grove.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

Thanks but here is what I have

I already have the late water pump and later timing cover. I have the old TRW PS pump and it only mounts on the early iron pumps.

So I need a PS pump, brackets and which pulley to make it work? On my car the alt and water pump already work fine. I need to get a way to find a pump I can mount and run a belt to the inner crank pulley to drive the water pump, or to get a crank pulley and or a water pump pulley with a 3rd grove for the crank, and a 2nd for the water pump.

Someboby must know what I need and have some pics to make this work.

thanks for the help though just not what I need.

Do you have parts for sale?
Mayeb with some cores I can figure it out..
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 PM

I have seen 4 different mounting locations for the PS pump. 1st style mounts low, close to the K-frame and uses the 1st pulley on the crank. 2nd style mounts up higher, see these on pickups and some cars and uses the 1st pulley on the crank. This style will probably work for ya. 3rd style on vans mounts the pump down real low. Would never work on a car. 4 style on my snow plow truck mounts the PS pump right above the water pump. It uses the 3rd grove on the crank pulley. The reason for this is I also have a 2nd pump to run the plow which is mounted in the 1st style position. These are all on small blocks. I do have a 67 Dart for parts that has a 273 with power stearing I can look at, I know the old style pump is still there, not sure on brackets and pulleys. I also have all the brackets, pulleys and saginaw pump for the 2nd style off a pickup I just parted out today. By the way I live just 30 miles from Saginaw steering gear, which is now Delphi. Hope this helps... but I have never had to work on anything with the old cast iron water pump.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

When you say 1st pully, is that the grove closest to the block? Cause that is what I need if possible. And I dio run an aluminum pump and that is why I have mounting issues. I do have all the brackets to, but they are for this old style pump that can only mount to an iron water pump.
thankx
PM sent.