Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-08-2000, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

I picked up a set of aluminum valve spring retainers for double springs Sunday from a buddy for $20. Can't find any info on them, anyone see any problems running them on a 383 with .557 lift cam. Needed them so I can run my double springs. Also does anyone know if they require special locks?

------------------
Check out http://www.donet.com/bemiller/ and let me know what you think!!
Old 02-08-2000, 06:33 PM
Inactive User

I've used them and they have worked OK.I don't care for them as I personally don't feel they are strong enough and have worried about them splitting.I use chrome moly retainers,and on the new 440 I'm using titanium.Standard locks will work just fine.I used them on a mild 383 motor with street hemi springs we buzzed up to 6500 rpm.
Old 02-09-2000, 06:02 AM
Inactive User

Aluminum retainers do one thing,that is they lighten the valvetrain mass,they require frequent inspection and routine replacement,they have no buisness on a street car.You need to determine what degree locks they require,this is absoloutely critical as the wrong lock will result in a dropped valve.Theyre probably 8* unless theyre of recent manufacture they could be 7* or 10*,to determine whats right drop both halves of the locks in the retainer you should not see any daylight where the two halves mate,not just at the top but at the bottom also....PRO..
Old 02-09-2000, 06:34 AM
Inactive User

Every aluminum moving part in the engine has a certain life span, and the retainers is no exception. It's very hard to tell by inspecting if the part is close to failing or not, at least I can't tell it from rockers or retainers if there is no physical wear. I have used the MP aluminum retaineres in a street car for two years; at the time I didn't know about the aluminums properties and was more conserned about wear than complete failing. After two years of use I replaced them with 10 degree titanium retainers when I went to a roller cam, at the time the aluminum retainers looked like new and I sold them forward. Hope the new owner didn't run to problems with them. Today I wouldn't use them in a streeter, I would use the chromemoly retainers instead. Or if money is no concern, the tiatnium ones.
Old 02-09-2000, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

My dart is not a street driven car, drag race only. Should I just return them the guy said no problem with returning them or go ahead and try them.

------------------
Check out http://www.donet.com/bemiller/ and let me know what you think!!
Old 02-09-2000, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

Sell them to somebody you don't like. They do work as the others have said but they flake aluminum snow all over your heads after a while and are completely unecessary in a BB Mopar. Why take the chance? Even the stocker work well although I prefer a good chrome moly set myself.

------------------
Don
94 V10 Ram(001),74 440 Charger,63 Max Wedge
Old 02-10-2000, 11:43 AM
Inactive User

At least in my case there was no flaking and no wear; that was the thing I was most afraid of. I carefully deburred the springends and removed the damper between the springs, if I remember correctly. If the retainers are new I would certainly use them in a race car. That's what they are ment for in the first place. Just take care that you use the right locks with them. And if you hesitate, buy the chrome moly or titanium retainers.
Old 02-10-2000, 02:06 PM
Inactive User

Personally i think the alloy pices are to soft.If you decide to keep them i would be keeping a close eye on them,especially if they're second hand.